Voyage to India (it's about hair)

NappturalWomyn

I try not to go on rants, but on my day off it is completely warranted. I went to the Indian grocery store a couple of days ago to get some wheat chapati and I just decided to walk around and look for some rose syrup for drinks (trust me, it's good). I came across the toiletries and all the powders and oils I keep reading about in the Ayurvedic challenges.

So, I read the info on the boxes, and figured why not. I bought some amla, brahmi, shakakai, aritha, and neem powders. Then, I bought some vatika coconut oil, dabur amla oil, and some Nyle hair oil (it's a pale tan oil with a plastic pole in the middle of the bottle that has indigo, amla, henna, vetiver, etc and it infuses the oil without the mess). The Indian lady at the counter looked at me and my afro and my bounty said I wouldn't be sorry.

I was pensive at first because I was so tired for the trial and error. It is too frustrating and expensive.

I got home, and went back to the forum and looked for some recipes. Some were teas, some were pastes. So, I tried one by a girl named keisha? (sorry if I am off, I can't remember her whole name, but thank you just the same): I took two tablespoons of amla, brahmi, and shakakai and added 4 cups of water (boiled first then cooled). I then took the oils and mixed them together for two cups worth. After letting the brew sit overnight, I combined the two and placed the mix in two empty seltzer bottles (made too much)...

So, I pre-pooed with the Nyle and Vatika. Then, detangled. Then, I added the new wash and left it alone for one hour. ((nervous))

So, I then rinsed it out with hot water for the five minutes. Then, I used some Organics Kiddie Conditioner (yup, kiddie conditioner. I figured kids hair grows so darn fast, why not?) left over with brahmi oil put in (because the brahmi box said it was a revitalizer so...) for about 20 minutes with some heat ((biting lip watching VH1-I know desperate). Rinsed with cool water. Airdried. Touched hair.

WHAT TOOK ME SO LONG? THIS IS AWESOME. MY HAIR IS AWESOME!!
Alas, not all good news. I went back to the black beauty supply store. I was cheesing a little bit and touching my hair a lot. I know, it was wrong.

I was looking for more kiddie conditioner. I tried to not be offended by baby jelly (vaseline with a blue label on it) or the baby grease (which is so full of garbarge you are better off using old bacon grease on your kid),
and picked it up. I walked around the store just to see my past mistakes.

I walked and saw brand after brand of stuff that either smelled bad, dried my hair out, made me flammable, itchy, break out, or a combination of all of the above. The girl working the weave section looked like she had gorgeous hair, until I saw the glue. It was so depressing.

The rather large woman with no hair working in the front was totally rude and nasty to me, but completely angelic to her fellow church member. This is the one BSS owned by black people in town, the others are part of the Korean syndicate, so I was trying to be supportive. This is not the first time this woman has been a bit less than congenial, but it's not my fault that you chose this shift and me walking up the counter is interrupting both your gospel that is blaring over the PA system and your Springer on the TV (don't ask).:wallbash:

Behind me were two women with hair covered up and weaves in hand and Pink lotion, and I just couldn't take it. I grabbed my conditoner, left the change, and just left.

Sometimes I am really convinced the whole black hair industry is just designed to keep you bald, broke, and bitter. Between Optimum Care, Elasta QP, CON, Pink garbarge, ORS, African pride my arse, Africa's best my arse, Black and Sassy (NO), Hawaiian Silky (NOT), Stay So Phony, I was on the verge of going bald. I dug up the razors and clippers and had every intention of going bald for Halloween. No lie. No josh.

The shea butters were making everything worse. As for natural products, been there too. I tried Nasabb, Nu Gro, Gro Aut, Carol's Daughter, Komaza, Oyin. I didn't get to Karen's or My Honey Child. I was just annoyed. In some defense, Qhemet has some decen stuff. I kept the Olive and Honey Balm and the sample of Ghee.

I even tried emu oil concotions.
My hair was like: :hardslap: GET THIS DEAD BIRD OFF ME NOW!

I am starting to think it's just a big old conspiracy. Everything had (except the natural stuff) water and mineral oil as the first ingredients, or stuff preserved in mineral oil. Is that all we deserve?

It's so sad. You don't see white women, or Asian women, or Hispanic women, or Indian women with non existent ponytails...You don't see Puerto Rican guys with S-curls.

Why is it that we are the one group of people that spend the most money on the worst stuff ever for hair? One person asked me why some black women use hair products. "Horses aren't bald. Think about it. If you put that mess they sell to us and claim is ethnic on any other race of women, they would be ********** or a mop of grease, and the horses too."

I am now officially on a voyage to India. I am an Ayruvedic convert, an Ayruvedia Angel. I am never going back to the ethnic section, or to the BS BSS again (well, except for kiddie conditioner, my bad-if it's at Wally World or Target, no more BS BSS).

I write this because if there is any lady afraid to try this regimen, don't be. It is the best move I made on my hair in a long time. I spent a total of $10 for powders, and $ 20 for oils. Cheap in comparision to the hundreds I flushed on snake oil.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought here. I want to thank all the ladies that use the ayruvedic methods like CandyC, Sareca, etc. who inspired me to take the plunge. :grin:

Peace.

Congrats on finding what works for you!!!!! I was thinking about trying this again. My relaxed hair was so porous that ayurvedics only worked for a certain amount of time on my hair. I may give the powders a go again on my natural head. Thanks for posting!

That's a really long post I can tell you're excited. I'm glad you like the oils. I love them. My hair has nothing but good things to say about indian products.

Thanks, now that I've found a store and am ready to purchase the last of my stash, you've also excited me again. I know I'm definitely on the right path.

So glad everything worked out for you.

I try not to go on rants, but on my day off it is completely warranted. I went to the Indian grocery store a couple of days ago to get some wheat chapati and I just decided to walk around and look for some rose syrup for drinks (trust me, it's good). I came across the toiletries and all the powders and oils I keep reading about in the Ayurvedic challenges.

So, I read the info on the boxes, and figured why not. I bought some amla, brahmi, shakakai, aritha, and neem powders. Then, I bought some vatika coconut oil, dabur amla oil, and some Nyle hair oil (it's a pale tan oil with a plastic pole in the middle of the bottle that has indigo, amla, henna, vetiver, etc and it infuses the oil without the mess). The Indian lady at the counter looked at me and my afro and my bounty said I wouldn't be sorry.

I was pensive at first because I was so tired for the trial and error. It is too frustrating and expensive.

I got home, and went back to the forum and looked for some recipes. Some were teas, some were pastes. So, I tried one by a girl named keisha? (sorry if I am off, I can't remember her whole name, but thank you just the same): I took two tablespoons of amla, brahmi, and shakakai and added 4 cups of water (boiled first then cooled). I then took the oils and mixed them together for two cups worth. After letting the brew sit overnight, I combined the two and placed the mix in two empty seltzer bottles (made too much)...

So, I pre-pooed with the Nyle and Vatika. Then, detangled. Then, I added the new wash and left it alone for one hour. ((nervous))

So, I then rinsed it out with hot water for the five minutes. Then, I used some Organics Kiddie Conditioner (yup, kiddie conditioner. I figured kids hair grows so darn fast, why not?) left over with brahmi oil put in (because the brahmi box said it was a revitalizer so...) for about 20 minutes with some heat ((biting lip watching VH1-I know desperate). Rinsed with cool water. Airdried. Touched hair.

Alas, not all good news. I went back to the black beauty supply store. I was cheesing a little bit and touching my hair a lot. I know, it was wrong.

I was looking for more kiddie conditioner. I tried to not be offended by baby jelly (vaseline with a blue label on it) or the baby grease (which is so full of garbarge you are better off using old bacon grease on your kid),

I walked and saw brand after brand of stuff that either smelled bad, dried my hair out, made me flammable, itchy, break out, or a combination of all of the above. The girl working the weave section looked like she had gorgeous hair, until I saw the glue. It was so depressing.

The rather large woman with no hair working in the front was totally rude and nasty to me, but completely angelic to her fellow church member. This is the one BSS owned by black people in town, the others are part of the Korean syndicate, so I was trying to be supportive. This is not the first time this woman has been a bit less than congenial, but it's not my fault that you chose this shift and me walking up the counter is interrupting both your gospel that is blaring over the PA system and your Springer on the TV (don't ask).:wallbash:

Behind me were two women with hair covered up and weaves in hand and Pink lotion, and I just couldn't take it. I grabbed my conditoner, left the change, and just left.

Sometimes I am really convinced the whole black hair industry is just designed to keep you bald, broke, and bitter. Between Optimum Care, Elasta QP, CON, Pink garbarge, ORS, African pride my arse, Africa's best my arse, Black and Sassy (NO), Hawaiian Silky (NOT), Stay So Phony, I was on the verge of going bald. I dug up the razors and clippers and had every intention of going bald for Halloween. No lie. No josh.

The shea butters were making everything worse. As for natural products, been there too. I tried Nasabb, Nu Gro, Gro Aut, Carol's Daughter, Komaza, Oyin. I didn't get to Karen's or My Honey Child. I was just annoyed. In some defense, Qhemet has some decen stuff. I kept the Olive and Honey Balm and the sample of Ghee.

I am starting to think it's just a big old conspiracy. Everything had (except the natural stuff) water and mineral oil as the first ingredients, or stuff preserved in mineral oil. Is that all we deserve?

It's so sad. You don't see white women, or Asian women, or Hispanic women, or Indian women with non existent ponytails...You don't see Puerto Rican guys with S-curls.

Why is it that we are the one group of people that spend the most money on the worst stuff ever for hair? One person asked me why some black women use hair products. "Horses aren't bald. Think about it. If you put that mess they sell to us and claim is ethnic on any other race of women, they would be ********** or a mop of grease, and the horses too."

I am now officially on a voyage to India. I am an Ayruvedic convert, an Ayruvedia Angel. I am never going back to the ethnic section, or to the BS BSS again (well, except for kiddie conditioner, my bad-if it's at Wally World or Target, no more BS BSS).

I write this because if there is any lady afraid to try this regimen, don't be. It is the best move I made on my hair in a long time. I spent a total of $10 for powders, and $ 20 for oils. Cheap in comparision to the hundreds I flushed on snake oil.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought here. I want to thank all the ladies that use the ayruvedic methods like CandyC, Sareca, etc. who inspired me to take the plunge. :grin:

Peace.
Great review. You've got me thinking of trading in my shampoo, or just trying this in place of it....along with some other stuff I'm doing...hmmmm...

While I get your point and found your posting to be insightful and entertaining, I don't really agree.

I don't solely blame the black hair care industry. I think WE are to blame as well. We should seek out the knowledge of how to take care of ourselves. If we did that, then the companies would be FORCED to shape up.

Also, ayervedic approach is great, but not the only right direction to go. I love the BSS, there are good products there too.

But, I'm happy you found something that works for you :yep:

Last edited:
Okay, I'm still laughing so hard that you made a brand called "Stay So Phony"!

Your post is quite the testimonial, but it all sounds like so much work and trial and error, and I know there are people who have not had success with it. I don't know, it's hard to keep getting hopes up for the next promise, and everyone promises as fervently as you. I'm sure you understand since you mention the frustration of the trial and error (and error and error) yourself.

Can you describe what type of hair you have? You don't have to use a number or lettering system, just a description?

I totally feel you OP on the conspiracy thing. I have often wondered that very thing. Type 4 hair in particular deserves so much more than the crap they market. All other types of hair have more. But you know what? I think it will change soon. I remember a time when there wasn't anything available for type 3 hair & now there is a ton of stuff. I don't even think there should be an 'ethnic' session, just a hair aisle filled with quality products for all types of hair. Believe me, I have caught straight straight haired latinos as well sneaking to get Fantasia in the so called Black section at Walgreens. All women just want & deserve to have pretty hair. : )

I feel you too girl. I too had to go through the trial and error and discovered my hair loves natural stuff. NOT natural products because they put in a few "natural" ingredients and then call it natural. The stuff my hair can't stand is still an ingredient thus I'm back to square one. This is why I'm so vocal about all natural. I'm not trying to shove it down anyone's throat but my hair literally falls out with BSS products. I thought the natural cycle of my hair was full and healthy, shed, shed, shed, bald spot. Then start it all over again. I found out it was the continual use of these products and my hair must be super sensitive to whatever cones or other chemical compounds they use as fillers. I haven't seen the usual bald spot I would see every 6 months this entire year of being all natural. That speaks volumes to me. I had NO IDEA what the culprit was but obviously my hair has a weak stomach. I'm glad you found YOUR niche' in the hair game, it feels great to finally get on track!

dag girl, you really had yourself a big ol epiphany over there. good for you.

honestly i felt the same way when i started to use the "better" products whether they were just natural products or the salon products with more of those natural products. I understand that some people do find the bss products work, but those cheaper products, mainly filled with cheap fillers and synthetic bases honestly made my hair feel gross. i still use me some elasta qp mango butter though.

but um the products used in ayurveda are natural products too. they're just found in other parts of the world.

I really enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing.

I remember following/experimenting with an ayurvedic regimen last year around this time, give or take a couple of months. I don't know what it was about it, but no matter how much I was in the rain, my hair never reverted
:blush:

Peace.
I agree about Ayurveda is a great help for African American hair. However, the local BSS supply store still has a few products here & there that helps in the assistance of black hair care as well. I will NOT rule them out 100% but in the interim, I have spent less money now that I am practicing Ayurveda more.

Sindee!!!! Thank you for bumping this old thread.....

OP...you are sooo right about how great these powders are!!! I began my Ayurvedic journey this week, thanks again Flowing Locks and Aggie for the help and support....My hair feels great! My NG is soft and moisturized!!! I'm in love with the Brahmi and Amla powders. I haven't washed with my Brahmi, Amla, and Shikakai mix yet but I will early next week. I'm going to try experimenting with some of the other oils and powders I saw at my local indian grocer....

There's nothing for me in the BSS, but I'm also not too keen on buying things from Indian stores because I don't really trust the products there either. I'll stick with my edible products.

I'm glad you found something that worked for you.

Peace.

This is sort of what I was referring to in my post about what we can do to help the black women in our communities. It really does not have to be this way.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=355389

I must say...me and my sister was crackin up on this thread!!! LOL

Horses are not bald...so we should pay attention to what they do to their hair!! LOL!

I love how you said you walked through the BSS and looked at your past mistakes....this was hilarious!!

Peace.

Congrats...right move! A message needs to be sent to the BHC industry.:yep:
I just thew out all of my petroleum based products last week. Never again to be used. I noticed the same thing with the ingredients in many products I threw away. I just can't take it anymore. :nono:
I just love the Indian store...a very dangerous place. I spend tons of money there for oils, henna etc. I'm going to be trying out the powders soon. :yep:
I'm a sally beauty member... the only things I will buy there will be tools...that's it!

see this thread...http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=354461

Last edited:
but it's not my fault that you chose this shift and me walking up the counter is interrupting both your gospel that is blaring over the PA system and your Springer on the TV (don't ask).
LMAO :lachen:
Love your post and your writing style. You can also go on Youtube and see how others mix their powders and/or oil. I personally prefer amla, but I also use all those other powders that you mentioned. I also buy henna and indigo, something to consider.

Great entertaining post OP. Are you still using Ayurveda in your regi? How's it workin' out for ya?
2 + years into my hair journey and the BSS is still only good enough for me to buy my .50 tail combs from...

recently I have begun to rethink the whole mineral oil thing...I think it boils down to the QUALITY of mineral oil used. Mineral oil appears to be the carrier/base in MOST prescription cremes & ointments...the medication MUST penetrate the skin/scalp/pores to be effective. The fact that the health care industry uses nothing else but mineral oil is curious to me....so yeah there are a few produtcs with mineral oil in my regi :)

Back