Vitamin Overload

C

Cami

I've been a member of LHCF since Mar2003. Before I joined this website, the only vitamins I took was a prenatal vitamin and my birth control pills. NOW, this is my vitamin regimine:

Puritan Pride Biotin-1000mcb 5x daily
GNC Silica-1x daily
GNC Biotin 600 mcg-2x daily
GNC L-Cysteine 500 mcg-1x daily
GNC Pantothenic Acid 500 mg-1 daily
GNC Vitamin B-12 1500mcg-1 daily
GNC MSM 1500 mg-1 daily
HF37 Hair program

I can see a dramatic difference as a result of taking these supplements, but I wonder if this can have side effects in the long run. I know I'm loving the results now, but I was wondering if this can harm me in the long run? Do any of you feel this way, or you just go with the flow?

I started out with the Bargello regimen, then a modified version of it after EPO caused me to go for two months without a period several times. I got new growth, but I also got palpitations

I tried the Puritan's Pride Biotin and it gave me palpitations like you would not belive

All three regimens gave me lasting palpitations even a week or two after i stopped using the vitamins. Now I don't use any at all. For me, long hair wasn't worth the risk or the pain.

cami, i probably take more vitamins than you. one of the problems with beginning a new regime taking new stuff all at once is that it's very difficult to identify the culprit if you have an adverse reaction.

i always recommend that people do their own research when they add any vitamin to their regime. even if they can benefit the hair, you have to consider how they will interact with medications. if you're taking any, people recommending them to you may not be aware of this.

hindsight is always 20/20 though. i would just REALLY keep an eye on any changes in your body. if you have any problems, i would stop taking all of them and reintroduce one by one (with two week lags before adding another) until you're able to figure out what's causing the problem.

oh yeah, are you no longer taking a multi?

adrienne

Palpitations? Do you mean your heart was racing faster?? Wow, I would have stopped myself also. I haven't had any adverse reactions, if I do, I'll cut back on vits like Adrienne suggested...
ohwell.gif

Yes, it made my heart race and it was difficult to breathe. It was the biotin. I cut back and then started them one at a time to see which I should eliminate. Even though I stopped using the biotin for more than two weeks, I still get palpitations even though I'm now using nothing.

I also identified the EPO (Evening Primrose Oil) with the missed periods. Other ladies have had that problem with EPO as well.

wow thats scary
shocked.gif
hopefully the heart racing will stop soon and the biotin hasnt had a lasting effect on yo heeart

@ the moment i havent noticed any effects of takin these vitamins but if summin similar to what happened to bodeace happened theyd be stopped and disposed of in a minute!! till then, its up to my 12 vits /day
smirk.gif
the things we do for swingin hair
grin.gif

I feel the same way, hopefully all goes well while I'm on these vitamins. I have noticed a huge difference since taking them-my new growth is out of control!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
ngaa said:
smirk.gif
the things we do for swingin hair
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, Ngaa, I hear you on that!!!
look.gif

I take a TON of vitamins, so many that I have my doses compartmentalized for the different times of day that I need to take them.

BUT, I am a research queen and a "better safe than sorry" chick, so...... I would suggest getting some books to learn about vitamins. A good starter book is called Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible

The book is excellent for begginers and tells you things about which vitamins work together and why, also which drug interactions to avoid while taking certain vitamins. While I appreciate and LOVE the advice I've received on the hair boards for years, I always thinks it's great if you are also empowered with knowledge so that you can make the right choices for your situation.

The second thing is, if you have a doctor, run things by the doctor. I run everything by a doctor, and as of late a nutritionist just to make sure I'm not messing anything up in the long run.

I think the doctor and nutritionist, PLUS studying helps to keep me informed on vitamins enough to make informed decisions about whether or not to add a supplement to my already LARGE arsenol of supplements. In my case right now I don't need to add anything more. But again, study and running things by your doctor are the two things I would suggest because even though the advice on this board is awesome, we are all individuals and you want to make sure that your routine fits your individual needs.
smile.gif

HTH

Hey CAMI!! Your pictures are very nice. Your hair looks sooo healthy and shiny. I was wondering why you take both GNC biotin and PP biotin as well? What does the B-12 do? Oh yeah... your hair color is pretty.

Hey, I didn't even answer the question.
laugh.gif
Yes, I wonder about the long term effects, if any, of taking so many vitamins. My intentions are to take them until I achieve my goal and then to drop down to the basics to maintain (i.e., hair vitamin, MSM and maybe a little extra biotin).

Hey CAMI!! Your pictures are very nice. Your hair looks sooo healthy and shiny.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.
smile.gif

I tried the Puritan's Pride Biotin and it gave me palpitations like you would not belive

[/ QUOTE ]

Like you I take the Puritan Pride Biotin. I didn't have the palpitations but that crawling feeling right in my temples so I cut it down to two a day oppose to five. That stuff is really potent just like everyone is saying
smile.gif
and with everything, some people react differently.

Im not trying to be nasty, but has anybody had constipation from thee vitamins or had neon yellow urine? If, not please remind me to edit this post, so I can hide my embarassment.

ms jadu, you're not nasty at all
wink.gif
I'm with ya on the neon yellow urine. What the hell is that, are my vits not absorbing??? I drink plenty of water and no matter what i still get that yellow stuff, sometimes i'll be less "neon" and more "strong yello".

My face is thanking me for my new vitamin routine and so is my hair! I feel so much more stimulation at the scalp.

When I cut the PP Biotin down to just one a day I still got palpitations and some fierce itchies!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow!
shocked.gif
I definately understand...your health is definately more important.
smile.gif
I personally know a lot of women with very long hair who don't even take vitamins, my aunt who has waist length hair being one of them. My hair also grew, regardless of taking the vitamins. I have definately been slacking off a lot and it's still growing.
smile.gif

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! (Singin like mike) "You are not alone.... I am here with yoooouuuu..."
rofl.gif

I occassionally get the neon pee thing too. As for the constipation... well I'll leave that discussion for another time.
laugh.gif

ms jadu said:
Im not trying to be nasty, but has anybody had constipation from thee vitamins or had neon yellow urine? If, not please remind me to edit this post, so I can hide my embarassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't experiened the Neon Pee probably because I drink water like it's nobody's business... But I can definitely relate on the constipation thing... Sometimes it's days before I'll have to #2. I bought some FiberCon to aid in the movement of my bowels though because I'm not giving up the vits.

Another side effect is that I've gained weight and I've experienced menstrual cramps which I haven't had since I was fourteen. I thought my uterus was about to explode. I had forgotten what cramps felt like. I'm hoping it was just a one time thing.

Same way with me I was taking a truck load of vitmins aday, and they started to make me sick. I had to back track and see which ones that work and which one that didnt work, and not im back on track.
drunk.gif
drunk.gif

Hi everyone. I'm Richelle. For all ladies: It is very important to research everything before we put it into our bodies. This is actually my first post, but I thought it was important to share. I take everything you all take. Here is a wonderful online source of information for the vitamins/supplements. Luckily, they are all water soluble and will not build up in any of our organs, so we do not have to worry about toxicity, but you should look at the Gale Encyclopedia articles just to know what you are swallowing.....www.findarticles.com. If your urine is colorful, that is a good thing. It means your body is not absorbing more than it can handle at that time. Makes me wonder if it is a waste of money to take more pills than the recommended allowances since your body will use what it needs and discard the rest...hmmm, wondering out loud. Hope this helps!!!

Since everyone is ranting and raving about the PPBiotin, I'm only taking that one now. Girl, I'm sick of my hair color for now, it doesn't make my hair look healthy so when I do my touchup next week, I'm putting a dark brown rinse over it. The B-12 and biotin work together in good ways...that's all I know! I know that's bad, but hey, it works! Oh yeah, thanks for the compliments too.
smile.gif

ms jadu said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Flaxseed oil can help with that. It keeps you regular.

I have also noticed that I am experiencing some weight loss with my vitamins and slight acne. I think the weight loss may have something to do with the Amino Acids. it mentioned something on the label as far as weight reduction, but Im not sure if it meant if not taken properly this would resulte or not to use it for weight reduction.

I occassionally get the neon pee thing too. As for the constipation... well I'll leave that discussion for another time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pantothenic acid (b-5) 1000mg seemed to "loosen" everything up for me. I didn't have a problem before that but since I started taking it I know that there definitely will not be a problem in the future.

I take 4 grams of B-5, and i still get constipated! I thought initially that it was the b-5 doing, but now I dont know what it could be.

Back