Typical Dry Natural Hair! I've tried it all! I need MAJOR help!

What new products should I use?

• Afroveda

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Qhemet

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • HH Totally Twisted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please list)

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters
I suffer from eczema of the scalp so I feel your pain. If I may offer a suggestion, it seems like you may need to get a routine stabilized first.
Wash, condition, deep condition, leave-in, seal, style. Now somewhere in there fit detangling in there.

The castille soap is a bit harsh, you could actually use that to clarify. I agree that you shouldn't be clarifying regularly as you are. Try every 4-6 weeks. To avoid spending any more money instead of trying some of the new products use what you have but with a routine. I say give yourself about a month for some kind of turn around. Also try adding like olive oil to your deep conditioner it will aid in the penetration and make it softer. Also try pre-pooing with a hot oil treatment. It will also help with your dryness issues. You can use some conditioner as a leave-in. Shea butter should be used to seal and not moisturize. Try an oil or the conditioner to moisturize and then seal with the shea. Also check your products, you may be protein sensitive. If you're using a lot of products that are protein heavy it could be protein overload or you may only be able to handle protein in moderation depending on what your hair likes.

manegoal

castile soap, shea butter and suave coconut didn't work for me either. I learned this through trial-and-error, pls save your receipts. hth

kblc06

I have VERY porous hair, and Joico K Pak Intense Hydrator and the Joico Moisture Recovery line are my ace boon coons. When my hair is extremely dry, I apply them to slightly moistened hair, put on a shower cap and wear overnight. I also cosign on clarifying your hair if you haven't already, especially if you have fine hair.

yardyspice

I used to think my hair was just thick and dry but now I realize that I needed to stay away from products with cones. I actually did a test the other day using a conditioner that I didn't want to throw out and my hair was dry for days until I broke down and shampooed it some harsh shampoo and then dc'ed. I would look through your list to see if you have anything with cones and discard them. Wash your hair with black soap, then cowash with moisture milks, and then finish with your good conditioner e.g. Trader Joes Nourish and don't wash it out all the way. Then, finish with your moisture holding products such as castor oil, shea butter, and aloe gel.

Lava27

I'm relaxed, but I don't see how any head or hair woudlnt benefit from Easta QP Creme Conditioning shampoo! It's sulfate free and cleans but truly also feels like it conditions. It's great!

NaturalPath

Have you tried just using kinky kurly knot today on wet hair? Thats usually all I need and it keeps my hair moisturized throughout the whole day. Coconut oil dries my hair out as well as shea butter.

Chicoro also has a nice moisturizing technique in the following steps:
1. Water based
2. Oil
3. Creamy leave-in or butter

Also have you been DC'ing with heat 1x a week?

JerriBlank

Yep. So sorry to hear that. I definitely know where you're coming from though. I bought L'Occitane and Quemet products. As soon as I try them, I'll give a review.

Those L'Occitane products are outstanding. I've been using them for three weeks now. I wanted to make sure they could perform consistently under stressful condiittions. Lol! They have passed with flying colours and are now some of my staples.

Mook's hair

I think you are using too much stuff and it's not working well together.
You should do come DC'ing and baggy at night.

I highly recommend Bee Mine's hair care line.

Luscious in my #1 favorite.
And for dry hair you'll also love the JUICY & Deja's hair milk.

I use all of them.

Black owned, excellent products & customer service and there's a 15% Valentines sale now til Sunday.

Hair2Here

Hello, I'm smartblackchic :) I have a serious issue. I BC'ed in November 09 after an almost two month transition. I'll be three months natural soon, & I'm still dealing with the problems of D R Y natural hair. I've literally tried it all, V05 strawberries & cream, suave tropical coconut, trader joe's nourish spa, trader joe's tea tree tingle conditioner, aussie moist, kinky curly knot today, oyin honey hemp conditioner, karen's body beautiful hair milk, curls curls milkshake, shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, castor oil, avocado butter, mango butter, aloe vera gel, aubrey organic honeysuckle rose, aubrey organics white camellia, apple cider vinegar rinses, baggying, rosemary oil, tea tree oil, patene nature fusion conditioner, herbal essences long term relationship & so on & so forth. My hair is still dry! My hair always feel nice, soft, & like a cloud when it is wet but, as soon as it dries & I rub my hand over my natural hair, it cuts me! It's ridiculous, hard, crusty, & dry. My regimen consists of, moisturizing twice a day with shea butter, coconut oil, & aloe vera gel. I rinse daily when I take a shower & I cowash once-twice a week. When I shampoo I use dr.bronners castile soap. I'm just so fed up ): I started using all natural products about a month after my BC. Now I feel the need to go to try some new commercial products. I also don't use sulfates but I feel I may need to since my hair is so dry. Somone, PLEASE, give me suggestions.

I've been a natural for over 10 years. All last Summer I kept my hair in a bun but did not do anything to keep my ends (or hair for that matter) moisturized. The results were devasting. My ends at the end of August, early September were horribly dry. I regret cutting my hair to this day. If I would have found this site, I probably would be a lovely bsl now. Nonetheless, we live and learn but I read posts, books and articles. With the help of another LHCF lady, I was able to get my hair back to a healthy state.

If you take a peeky-poo at my pics from September, 09, maybe you can see how overly porous my hair use to be. My regimen was simple:

Washed with Roux Porosity Shampoo
ACV Rinse (diluted well)
Aphogee 2-minute (leave on exactly 2 minutes - IMPORTANT)
DC with EVOO, honey, a little salt and peppermint oil
Bagged my entire head each night
In the mornings: swoop my hair in a pony tail with ECOStyler Gel
Moisturize each night with H-Silky, Carefree Instant Moisturizer or Wave N.

I followed this regimen from Sept. 09 - Dec.09

In my Dec. 09 pic, my ends are alot better. I flat ironed but did not make it straight.

My dry hair needed alot of attention and it takes time. If I would have found this site before I did my cut, I would have also learned more about doing a dry DC which I think could have remedied my problem alot faster.

Here's a tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/user/patchouli85#p/a/u/1/NegFfvnthBg

One other thing you may want to pay particular attention to is the products you are using that have proteins in them. Some products have a different description of 'protein' but these could do more harm than good.

But try the dry DC and give me an update in 2 months!

HTH

I have natural brillo pad dry hair. My saving grace has been a hair steamer and Elucence conditioner. If you felt my hair 3 days after a treatment you would swear I just have naturally soft hair. Before Elucence, I was using Megasilk and that is an EXCELLENT moisturizing conditioner as well. I add oil to any conditioner I use and sit under the steamer. I also spritz daily with water vegetable glycerin and olive oil. That simple mix keeps me moisturized enough until my next DC which is weekly.

jayjaycurlz

my natural hair tends to be very dry as well.

I just discovered WEN and Hair One. They are all in one products and so far my hair and my kids hair loves it.

I cleanse with it, use it as a leave it, make a moisture spritz and DC.

Before that out of all the things I tried my hair seemed to take to oilve oil.

How do you make a moisture spritz with WEN?

Miss AJ

Have you tried any leave-in conditioners? My natural hair loves Aussie Hair Insurance, Nexxus Humectress Luxe, VO5 Detangle and Shine, Cantu Shea Butter conditioning repair cream, and Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship split end mender. Sometimes I "seal" with the cream leave-in after spraying with the liquid leave-in.

lwilliams1922

How do you make a moisture spritz with WEN?

I saw instructions somewhere but I'm not sure where :blush:
I put spring water in a spray bottle,
added a few squirts of wen cc
then some wen oil

I'm wigging it for a few months so I spray my hair under every day. I can't wait to use it on a twist out!