Twist/Braid/Bun For Growth Challenge 7/1/13 - 9/30/13

Here's today's twist out! I'm so excited to henna I can't even stand it. I was in homemade micros for a couple of months so I haven't been doing this on my normal monthly rotation. Will try to take pics of the henna process, but it's pretty messy, so I'm not sure how that will work out.

Pardon the face. I was in a bathroom stall at work and feeling like a fool.

image-3274854961.jpg
image-4037055073.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I'm doing a twistout for the weekend and then back to twists on Monday.

I'll separate for big hair tomorrow. Today's humidity should give me some added fluff latter today.

image-550416349.jpg

Here's today's twist out! I'm so excited to henna I can't even stand it. I was in homemade micros for a couple of months so I haven't been doing this on my normal monthly rotation. Will try to take pics of the henna process, but it's pretty messy, so I'm not sure how that will work out.

Pardon the face. I was in a bathroom stall at work and feeling like a fool.

Very pretty :yep:

I'm doing a twistout for the weekend and then back to twists on Monday.

I'll separate for big hair tomorrow. Today's humidity should give me some added fluff latter today.

You have beautiful hair! What do you use to get that definition?

You have beautiful hair! What do you use to get that definition?

Thanks!

For this twistout I used Bel Nuovo Macabassu Hair Milk as a Leave-In, Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream as a moisturizer and QM Aethiopika Hydrate and Twist Butter to seal.

I twist on wet hair.

I'm getting ready to install my second set of mini braids with my own hair for this year. I haven't done this since the beginning of January. I have a long evening and night ahead...

I'm getting ready to install my second set of mini braids with my own hair for this year. I haven't done this since the beginning of January. I have a long evening and night ahead...

Oh, boy... I do my own minis, too (I always add hair). I literally canNOT do it in one sitting. I'm pulling for you, @jesusislove1526!

Last edited:
Last night I put in a really rushed set of small braids in. It was rushed because I thought that I was going to have all of Saturday afternoon to DC and wash my hair and let it dry in twists. Instead I was only able to get started at 9pm (finished entire process at 2:30am) and didn't have time to cowash or anything. I did my braids on hair that I dry detangled with a lot of condish and immediately twisted up. I used Lock & Twist gel, but I don't know how I feel about it yet. I haven't used it in years. When I get back home, I'm pooing, DCing, and sealing my ends. I can't wait!! :lick:

Why! Oh, why did I watch a wash n'go video?! But not just any wash n'go video. A wash n'go video of a youtuber that has similar hair similar to mine!!!!!! :cry:
I was a second away from running into the bathroom and taking all of these braids down, but I talked myself down.
1) I have homework to do tonight and class tomorrow, so I don't have that time
2) I don't have any styling product, so I would just be ticked off that my wash n'go only lasted a day :lol:

I moisturized and sealed my hair yesterday and threw it in a high bun today! When I get home from class I'm gonna deep condition my hair with aussi 3 minute, honey, and safflower oil.

Had my wash day yesterday and installed another set of twists. Wore a twist out Friday and Saturday.

Twisting with As I Am Twist Defining Creme. Will see how long my twists stay moisturized with this.

Checking in! Still wet bunning daily. I've been doing a low side bun, alternating sides for the last two weeks. :yep: Trying to decide what to do going forward as the weather is changing and I probably won't continue to wet bun as it gets cooler.

Hey everyone, I put some twists in Friday and I took the front ones out and put finger coils in. I also took out some twists and corn rowed the sides. Whenever I'm bored I find myself doing something to my hair smh lol

Attachments

• image-35725715.jpg
    image-35725715.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Put in braids for the work week. Used Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. The product feels really sticky to the touch to me, but my braids did look nice and neat this morning, so... *shrug*

image-1757954104.jpg
image-3169060507.jpg

Duchess007 , those braids are lovely :yep:. I'm terrible at parting, so mine always look a little old on the first day :spinning:.

Welp, the braids are coming out. I already took down the very front, and I hiked to the crappiest beauty supply store I'd ever been to, and picked up some Fantasia gel that I hadn't touched in like 5 years. Yeah, I'm that dedicated to my wash n'go :lachen:.

Thanks, ckisland! I actually didn't part at all because I was too lazy to stand in front of a mirror. So I did it while sitting in bed with my hubby and watching Suits on Netflix. :-D

I haven't done braids on just my hair before so we'll see how they hold up. I exercised tonight so I'm sure they're gonna get fuzzy soon!

Thanks, ckisland! I actually didn't part at all because I was too lazy to stand in front of a mirror. So I did it while sitting in bed with my hubby and watching Suits on Netflix. :-D

I haven't done braids on just my hair before so we'll see how they hold up. I exercised tonight so I'm sure they're gonna get fuzzy soon!

Wow! They look like you took your time doing them. . . and like you've done them before :blush:. Well, dang! Now I really feel like an amateur. See, that's why I stick to wash n'gos. Styling is just not my thing :lol:.

Wow! They look like you took your time doing them. . . and like you've done them before :blush:. Well, dang! Now I really feel like an amateur. See, that's why I stick to wash n'gos. Styling is just not my thing :lol:.

Oh, I've done my own micros a MILLION times before- for like ten years- so I have a big head start!

image-1779068696.jpg
image-1945470993.jpg

The grass is always greener, because I can't do a wash and go to save my LIFE. As the day goes on, I look more and more like Big Shirl from What's Happening. :nono:

Attachments

• image-3964217289.jpg
    image-3964217289.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 41
So last night I put JBCO on NG and misted the length in sections with water then put a lil' hemp oil over that followed by some fat chunk twists in no particular order. I baggied my head while sleeping and thought the twists didn't look "bad" per se once up, so I win with minimal techique today!:drunk:
Attached Thumbnails

Only 30 days left guys! Hope everyone is doing well. I've been super lazy I had my hair in braids and just wore a cute scarf when I went out

I'm still going strong with my wet buns :) I think this challenge has been great for my retention! If there's a part ll, I'm down :)

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

Attachments

• image-1559945325.jpg
    image-1559945325.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
You're hair is pretty! How long did it take you to be able to fit all your hair in a bun?

Igotstripes, thank you for the compliment! Last year when I was APL I wore it in a high bun for a little while. That was the first time I actually ventured out and wore it without the help of a phony pony. But, tbh, this bun wearing thing (especially the wet bunning) is new to me :laugh: I just started regularly wearing it due to this challenge. :yep:

Only 30 days left guys! Hope everyone is doing well. I've been super lazy I had my hair in braids and just wore a cute scarf when I went out
:nono: I have trying so desperately to do a wash n'go, and didn't even realize there was only a month left of this challenge. Well now I just feel guilty for wearing my hair out these couple of days. :look:

Welp. I cut through my thumb while prepping veggies for dinner tonight, so the braids I wore all week are going to have to soldier through for a couple more weeks until my thumb heals and the nail grows back in. :-/

Braids are... not fresh.

image-1542273501.jpg
image-4278044297.jpg

They're also not my fave style because I feel like it makes my hair look thin and my head look gigantic. But that might just be a personal bighead problem. :blush:

Gonna DC overnight with homemade cholesterol mix. Then cowash tomorrow morning with one of my beloved VO5s, m&s, and band overnight. Hopefully it's acceptable-looking enough to show my face at work.

**Pardon the pic quality. I usually make my hubby do these because I suck.

ETA: Pics of DC

image-1349515164.jpg
image-1394745817.jpg
image-3722280340.jpg
image-887249510.jpg

Last edited:
Back