Trimmed, Moisturized, Proteined STILL BREAKING

PrincessLinzz

Hi Ladies,

I am searching for ANY guidance at this point. My hair started breaking off like crazy and I thought it was moisture overload so I protein dc'ed with Joico then it was still happening so I tried Nexxus followed by a moisturizing dc. Then I thought ok maybe it lack of moisture because it was still breaking like crazy. I began moisturizing with aloe vera juice and it was still breaking. Then I cut my hair on Saturday to bsl from mbl (I DIED) but there are no splits and it looks good.
BUT, I am STILL noticing breakage or broken hairs mini-med length, and have been moisturizing with my old staple Neutrogena Triple M and sealing with Hemp Oil/Safflower oil.

Does anyone know what the freak could be happening to my hair? I've never had breakage and I haven't changed anything. Help! Anyone?:ohwell::perplexed:sad:

Signed,

Desperate

Questions: Do you use heat regularly? How often do you wash/moisturize/dc How long are the broken hairs? Is there a white bulb on the end?

I Co-wash 3x a week because I work out and I deep condition 1x week. I do wash n gos and usually just wear my hair in a pony tail or a bun. I've never had to moisturize and seal really because it makes my curls fall.

As of late I wanted to retain more length so I started moisturizing and sealing. Oh and I started steaming...those are the only things that I have changed.

Questions: Do you use heat regularly? How often do you wash/moisturize/dc How long are the broken hairs? Is there a white bulb on the end?

Nope, I don't really use heat, maybe once every 2 months. The broken hairs now are mini-->mid length strands before the trim very long.

Have you clarified? What are you using to cowash and deep condition with? Are you air drying? Do you rotate the placement of your bun? How often are you combing? Do you use a water softener?

I'm sorry for the million questions, but we need more information to see why your hair may be acting the way it is.

Was there a time in the last few years that you used heat more frequently? It sounds like you may have had some past damaged strands that are now too weak and are breaking. I say this because you say the length of the broken hairs has gotten shorter since you cut. It seems the breakage is not random. I would check the full length of my strands and see if you can spot any damage up higher on the strands.

Wait a minute....you said you moisturize with aloe vera juice....doesn't aloe vera juice have a protein like effect? For some people anyway?

What do you deep condition with?

What oils do you use?

Did you start using a new comb or brush?
Did you start doing any new styles recently that are maybe too tight or causing tension around the area where your hair is breaking?
New ponytail holders that are maybe rubbing against your strands? Bobby pins that could be causing damage?

Maybe try going back to your previous regimen?

Seriously, it sounds like you may have a product build-up issue. When was the last time you clarified your hair? Even your water might be a little hard or you could be using a no-lye relaxer (not sure if you're natural or not) that cause calcium to build-up on the hair that makes it dull, brittle and eventually breaks.

Use a clarifying shampoo first, followed up with a moisturizing shampoo, then deep condition.

What are you using to moisturize your hair with? I would highly recommend Keracare Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba Oil and at night you could try Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment.

Have you clarified? What are you using to cowash and deep condition with? Are you air drying? Do you rotate the placement of your bun? How often are you combing? Do you use a water softener?

I'm sorry for the million questions, but we need more information to see why your hair may be acting the way it is.
@ NappyNelle, yep I clarified got rid of the buildup with Carol's Daughter Rosemary Mint Clarifying Shampoo. I have always co-washed with Hello Hydration like for years, recently I started co-washing with Organix Argan Morrocan Moisturizing Conditioner. In December I started dcing with Miss Jessies Sweetback conditioner but I used to use Organix Argan Morr. Moisturizing dc under the steamer. I got my steamer in December and I thought that would add moisture, but that seems to be when everything went awry. I ALWAYS air dry. I wear buns so far and in between I essentially just tuck my ends up. I barely comb my hair. And I'm not sure what a water softener is, lol...what is that? Please tell me. :)

I was going to suggest baggying since it's the only thing that helps me with breakage. But if she co-wash three times a week, I don't know if she also need to bag.
@ Keen, I have never baggied before, I must say. I mean I put a bag on when I DC but thats just for liek 40 mins to an hour.

Seriously, it sounds like you may have a product build-up issue. When was the last time you clarified your hair? Even your water might be a little hard or you could be using a no-lye relaxer (not sure if you're natural or not) that cause calcium to build-up on the hair that makes it dull, brittle and eventually breaks.

Use a clarifying shampoo first, followed up with a moisturizing shampoo, then deep condition.

What are you using to moisturize your hair with? I would highly recommend Keracare Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba Oil and at night you could try Keracare Overnight Moisturizing Treatment.
@ Aggie, I have clarified my hair doesn't really ever hold on to much product. Hard water...I was thinking that, and I'm natural, been natural for 12 yrs. Keracare Oil Moisturizer, is this available in bss's. I've never seen this line.

Did you start using a new comb or brush?
Did you start doing any new styles recently that are maybe too tight or causing tension around the area where your hair is breaking?
New ponytail holders that are maybe rubbing against your strands? Bobby pins that could be causing damage?

Maybe try going back to your previous regimen?

KittyMeow nope I always wear the same style and my goody bands are always loose the places where the breakage happens like all over random. And when I say breakage I mean the lil pieces of hair in the sink or on my shirt, I don't really notice it much in my length. But bobby pins I DO use. Hmmm...

Was there a time in the last few years that you used heat more frequently? It sounds like you may have had some past damaged strands that are now too weak and are breaking. I say this because you say the length of the broken hairs has gotten shorter since you cut. It seems the breakage is not random. I would check the full length of my strands and see if you can spot any damage up higher on the strands.
@ Testimony777- My hair was breaking slightly in December so then I did a Cassia treatment to add strength, it had worsened. In November- December I did use heat more than I usually would because of the holidays. I used to straighten more and my hair never broke off. I am wondering if the combination of the new DC I was using (Miss Jessies Sweetback) and the steamer followed a few weeks later with the Cassia caused the breakage. But I mean wouldn't it have gotten better since its been over a month since I have straightened with a blow dryer (only use blowdriers). I'm so confused. I feel like I can not retain moisture.

PrincessLinzz Thanks for answering all of our questions. I think you should stop using the new conditioner, and go back to Hello Hydration and add a light protein based conditioner to the mix. Steaming is wonderful, but you already co-wash very often in the week, so a steam treatment with another moisturizing conditioner may be too much for your strands, making them mushy and weak. You can use your steamer for the protein conditioner. Some examples are: Aphogee 2min, Aubrey Organics GPB, a cholesterol conditioner, etc.

BTW, your avatar and signature hair pictures are lovely. I hope we have been able to help you fix this breakage issue.

@PrincessLinzz Thanks for answering all of our questions. I think you should stop using the new conditioner, and go back to Hello Hydration and add a light protein based conditioner to the mix. Steaming is wonderful, but you already co-wash very often in the week, so a steam treatment with another moisturizing conditioner may be too much for your strands, making them mushy and weak. You can use your steamer for the protein conditioner. Some examples are: Aphogee 2min, Aubrey Organics GPB, a cholesterol conditioner, etc.

BTW, your avatar and signature hair pictures are lovely. I hope we have been able to help you fix this breakage issue.

Honestly, I appreciate ALL Of your help you and the other posters. Your regimen idea sounds great! I think I will try this and see what the outcome is. I'm like desperate at this point. Thank you for taking the time out to ask and answer all of my questions AND for the compliment! I'm working hard at this can't afford anymore setbacks!

Aggie, I have clarified my hair doesn't really ever hold on to much product. Hard water...I was thinking that, and I'm natural, been natural for 12 yrs. Keracare Oil Moisturizer, is this available in bss's. I've never seen this line.

I think you may find it at beauty salons more so than bss's. I think www.irbysbeautysupply.com carry it. I hope that's the correct url. I do purchase it here locally in the Bahamas.

If you have hard water, then consider how often you clarify your hair, is it enough how much you are doing it so far? If your products have a lot of cones is another thing to consider as well. It may very well be some of the products you have chosen for YOUR hair. If your hair liked them before then maybe it may not like them anymore.

I found this to be the case with my own hair. My hair just simply did not like a lot of the so-called popular "natural" hair products that most people are using and so I had to keep changing them until I found the right fit for my hair. All the best.

I think you may find it at beauty salons more so than bss's. I think www.irbysbeautysupply.com carry it. I hope that's the correct url. I do purchase it here locally in the Bahamas.

If you have hard water, then consider how often you clarify your hair, is it enough how much you are doing it so far? If your products have a lot of cones is another thing to consider as well. It may very well be some of the products you have chosen for YOUR hair. If your hair liked them before then maybe it may not like them anymore.

I found this to be the case with my own hair. My hair just simply did not like a lot of the so-called popular "natural" hair products that most people are using and so I had to keep changing them until I found the right fit for my hair. All the best.

THANKS, AGGIE!! :)

You definitely need to look at balancing protein treatments with moisture treatments. ITA with using a shower filter for hard water. You also may need to stop using heat until this issue is resolved.
I am so sorry for the problems you are having with breakage. You have beautiful hair and I know you will recover. HUGS!!!! :)

You definitely need to look at balancing protein treatments with moisture treatments. ITA with using a shower filter for hard water. You also may need to stop using heat until this issue is resolved.
I am so sorry for the problems you are having with breakage. You have beautiful hair and I know you will recover. HUGS!!!! :)

Garner, thanks lovebug! Its true I still can't figure out how to balance protein moisture thing. I REALLY appreciate it and NO HEAT! :)

Hi Ladies,

I am searching for ANY guidance at this point. My hair started breaking off like crazy and I thought it was moisture overload so I protein dc'ed with Joico then it was still happening so I tried Nexxus followed by a moisturizing dc. Then I thought ok maybe it lack of moisture because it was still breaking like crazy. I began moisturizing with aloe vera juice and it was still breaking. Then I cut my hair on Saturday to bsl from mbl (I DIED) but there are no splits and it looks good.
BUT, I am STILL noticing breakage or broken hairs mini-med length, and have been moisturizing with my old staple Neutrogena Triple M and sealing with Hemp Oil/Safflower oil.

Does anyone know what the freak could be happening to my hair? I've never had breakage and I haven't changed anything. Help! Anyone?:ohwell::perplexed:sad:

Signed,

Desperate
You should try Mizani H20 intense night treatment. It has the consistency of a cream you apply at night. This is just MAGIC. There is a sticky somewhere on the board on tips and what to do when you have tried everything and your hair is till breaking. The post was writtrent by Supergirl. I tell you this is the TRUTH. I have had slight continuous breakage for weeks I have been using this tretament for a week now: I am 9 weeks post and have no breakage at all since then. You have to use the treatment every other night. If you do a search on Mizani H20 on the board you will have lots of testimonies. For me, I can never ever be without this treatment. Good luck !

You should try Mizani H20 intense night treatment. It has the consistency of a cream you apply at night. This is just MAGIC. There is a sticky somewhere on the board on tips and what to do when you have tried everything and your hair is till breaking. The post was writtrent by Supergirl. I tell you this is the TRUTH. I have had slight continuous breakage for weeks I have been using this tretament for a week now: I am 9 weeks post and have no breakage at all since then. You have to use the treatment every other night. If you do a search on Mizani H20 on the board you will have lots of testimonies. For me, I can never ever be without this treatment. Good luck !

I am searching for it now!! Thank you Cornaline!!!!!

Wanted to give a HUGE THANK YOU TO THE LADIES OF THIS FORUM!! My hair stopped breaking it look so healthy. NappyNelle I did everything you said from the steam with the protein treatment (Aphogee) to going back to Hello Hydration. My hair came back in FULL FORCE! Thank you guys sooo much!!

Is your porosity in check? I know when I was experiencing breakage and my hair would not hold moisture, no matter what I did, it wasn't until I got my porosity in order that my hair began to feel moisturized and the breakage stopped almost immediately. I also used the Mizani H20 Night time treatment. That stuff is the truth! I hope it stops breaking, your hair is lovely in the pics.

Back