Tip of the Month from Alberto.com (wet hair)

Fine 4s

tip of the month

prevent breakage!

Wet hair is fragile, so never use a brush or force tangles by pulling. Start by using Alberto VO5® Conditioner for your hair type and towel dry hair. Gently ease out tangles starting at the tip and working up to roots with a
wide tooth comb. Less breakage means a smoother, more beautiful style.

So what doest this mean for us that detangle under running water with condish? When is hair the most fragile? Wet or Dry? I need a final answer...where's lady libra?

Ummm, the detangling under running water NEVA worked for me so I kinda agree with Mr. Alberto. I would always end up with wet balls of hair in comb and God knows how much hair went down the drain. I stopped doing that after 2 attemps and I now wait until my hair is at least 60% or more dry before attempting to detangle with a comb. I don't own a brush. . .

Hair is indeed most fragile when wet so it makes sense to me with my 4b, very fine hair to stop using both the force of the shower and the force of pulling with a comb. I figure the detangle under shower thang is definitely for others, not moi . . .

Last edited:
i lose a lot of hair in the shower, but i cannot even TRY to put a comb or brush in my hair when its air dried - it just doesn't make it through w/out getting stuck in my new growth, and my comb is wide.

I have the best experience detangling doing so under running water, hair soaked with conditioner and my wide tooth Jilbere shower comb. I don't lose much hair at all and it's quick, like a knife through butter :yep:
(you have to take sections and detangle from the ends to the roots... and I swear it works like a charm)

tip of the month

prevent breakage!

Wet hair is fragile, so never use a brush or force tangles by pulling. Start by using Alberto VO5® Conditioner for your hair type and towel dry hair. Gently ease out tangles starting at the tip and working up to roots with a
wide tooth comb. Less breakage means a smoother, more beautiful style.

So what doest this mean for us that detangle under running water with condish? When is hair the most fragile? Wet or Dry? I need a final answer...where's lady libra?

I don't think there is a right or wrong way in deciding when to detangle. Everyone's hair is different and likes different things. Some people find it better to detangle under running water when their hair is loaded with conditioner, and if it works for them then that's fine. Other's think that they lose too much hair when detangling under running water so they detangle on damp hair. I think everyone has to do what works for them and their hair. As long as the person is starting from the bottom up with whatever method, there shouldn't be any damage to the hair.

He doesn't say you should detangle under running water, but to towel dry your hair then add the conditioner, detangle with a wide comb and rinse.

This tip works well for me (I do it on soaking wet hair) i have been detangling my hair like this for years and never had a problem. When i use a brush/comb on dry hair i have more breakage and split ends.:ohwell:

Mocamadness is right everyones hair is different.

Last edited:
Unless my new growth is getting crazy, I do better with dry detangling. Other than that, I do it wet. Or fingercomb the newgrowth dry but moisturized.

He doesn't say you should detangle under running water, but to towel dry your hair then add the conditioner, detangle with a wide comb and rinse.

This tip works well for me (I do it on soaking wet hair) i have been detangling my hair like this for years and never had a problem. When i use a brush/comb on dry hair i have more breakage and split ends.:ohwell:

Mocamadness is right everyones hair is different.

You're right he doesn't say that. My point was that for those of us who can only detangle with tons of condish and under running water, does that then mean that we are doing more harm than good since the hair is soaking wet and not just towel blotted. Untangling after towel blotting would leave me with a huge puff ball which would make it that much harder to bun.

Untangling under running water kinda works for me but I'm always in search of a better way of caring for my hair.

Whoever said that Mr. Culver doesn't have 3b/c hair well try 4b hair :)
You are right about that...

Back