this is the coolest place, i think i'll stay here forever

femmemuscle

i finally quit my job at that day spa/medical clinic. a.k.a. "clown college" where we had laugh class, smile class, the ooo/aaah cards, etc. in the bay area of CA. and am with my SO in New Mexico.

We've vacationed here on many occasions, but never had time to truly appreciate the locals.

I found this place very different from the superficialness, competitiveness, status seeking of the bay area.

#1 the caucasions here wear nothing but protective styles. From the Children to adults the little boys and girls are wearing cornrows, and slave braids.

#2 The most popular hair style amongst the caucasion adults 16 and over is Dred-locks. Bar-none. There are several local grocery stores and each one has a dedicated section for "dred-loc starter kits" to "dred maintenance" items.

#3 the AA males/females mostly wear their hair natural in singles, afro puffs, twists or twist out styles..

My SO pointed this out to me regarding the caucasions wearing dred-locs. Some past their butts.. they work in the stores, or in offices. It isn't uncommon for the supervisor to come walking up to you, shake your hand, while sporting some super cool dreds.. healthy skin, the clearest eyes, and the most peaceful souls..

It's mostly dominated by artists, and the creative thinking types.

It isn't like this everywhere in NM, but i'm so glad to be a part of this community.

I hope things work out where i can stay here..

What part of the Bay Area are you from? I love it here =) I live in San Jose and think it's the greatest place to live!

New Mexico sounds like a cool community! I hope you have a wonderful adventure wherever your heart takes you.

Wow. what part of NM is that. It sounds like a little slice of Jamaica. :) You've got me wanting to visit now.

What part of the Bay Area are you from? I love it here =) I live in San Jose and think it's the greatest place to live!

New Mexico sounds like a cool community! I hope you have a wonderful adventure wherever your heart takes you.

I was in Half Moon Bay on the golf course/Ritz Carton, and I worked in Sunnyvale/Mountainview. Half Moon Bay was great, next to the Ocean. Sunnyvale/Mountainview is where I had to do "clown-college" everyday because of the high-maintenance, insecure, status conscious types..:nono:

Wow. what part of NM is that. It sounds like a little slice of Jamaica. :) You've got me wanting to visit now.

Yep, it's just like Jamaica - except in Jamaica the black folks talk to each other.. There's that "avoidance" thing going on over here as well... No big thing.

It's really funny, but when a white person with dreds sees an AA with natural hair, they don't hesitate to say "hello" or smile. It's very cool.

I've experienced this in El Dorado, Santa Fe, and other places. The only folks that give the naturals (white or black) the side eye is the Mexicans.

It was so funny, i walked in the supermarket, and the mexican butcher stood there behind the counter watching me walk down the aisle with a look of disgust. Then a young white guy walks up with dreds - and gives him the same disgusted look..:)

He has a lot of nerve. Does he have a jheri curl or a perm in his hair? Why does he get to wear his hair natural and give others who choose to do the same the side eye? He better get over it. Natural is here to stay.

BTW sounds like a cool place. :)

Very nice!

What are slave braids?

slave braids are basically two french braids on your head. there's a part down the middle, one french braid on either side. they can be over or under-hand braided.

Now, they're called "goddess" braids. especially since white folks/celebrities wear them as well...

Hey, lady....

I can not tell you how happy I am that you finally ditched that J.O.B.. :)

NM sounds way cool...

I'd loved to visit....:grin:

Back