The Doobie and it's beginnings

Junonia

I know when I was a sophomore in HS(1989) I noticed girls went from wearing mushrooms to doobies. Has it been around longer than that?

According to my stylist, it started in the Dominican salons. However, I've heard it started with the "halle Berry" when the hair was cut really short and wet wrapped then the pins came in later. Anyone know the story behind the doobie?

this website says it's been around since the early 1900s... but this isn't wikipeda so who knows. :)

http://www.lynjonta.com/doobiemyth.htm

oh, and i'm only posting this article for the date of origin reference. NOT for anything else stated by that salon... cuz its kind of ridiculous. lol.

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure of its exact origin...but I know that down South..people have been getting them for years...we don't call it doobies..we call it a roller wrap/set. My mom has been getting since she was little. So I know around the 1950's or before down here.

I have always wondered why the Dominican salons get credit for it. There aren't may Dominican salons in my city (maybe 4 or 5 - tops)..but almost every Black salon offers roller wraps..and rarely use a blow dryer..they pretty much always use the hooded dryer. This is the case where I come from at least.

But don't get me wrong there are some bad stylists..down here..and many...many..more scissor happy ones!

I miss my Doobie style days. :look: It was the easiest thing to do to my hair when it was relaxed. I always went to dom. salons because they were cheaper than the black salons in my area. For some reason, it always seemed to me that Dom. salons did doobies and black salons just did wet wraps. :rolleyes:

excuse my ignorance, but what is a doobie? is it an acutal style?

i remember when i lived in nyc, i would see girls walking around in doobies, i guess that's what it was, and they had all these different colored pins. my friend swore it was an actual style, but i always thought they had just got their hair wrapped in the salon and they were heading home and would evenutally unwrap it to wear, but my friend said the wrap was the end result, it was actually the style.

is this true?

excuse my ignorance, but what is a doobie? is it an acutal style?

i remember when i lived in nyc, i would see girls walking around in doobies, i guess that's what it was, and they had all these different colored pins. my friend swore it was an actual style, but i always thought they had just got their hair wrapped in the salon and they were heading home and would evenutally unwrap it to wear, but my friend said the wrap was the end result, it was actually the style.

is this true?

No, they were just being ghetto IMO.

You are supposed to take the pins out and UNwrap the hair so that it can fall a certain way like a doobie wrap.

You not supposed to be walking the street with your hair still wrapped in 10 different colored pins like u just stepped out the salon.

Well I'm not sure of its exact origin...but I know that down South..people have been getting them for years...we don't call it doobies..we call it a roller wrap/set. My mom has been getting since she was little. So I know around the 1950's or before down here.

I have always wondered why the Dominican salons get credit for it. There aren't may Dominican salons in my city (maybe 4 or 5 - tops)..but almost every Black salon offers roller wraps..and rarely use a blow dryer..they pretty much always use the hooded dryer. This is the case where I come from at least.

But don't get me wrong there are some bad stylists..down here..and many...many..more scissor happy ones!

r u talkin about wrapping the hair while its wet?? because thats not what it is...at least where i was from.

i remeber around 88-89 when we all started getting doobies after our rollersets at the dom salons.
i swear it was the best thing ever. i would leave my hair pinned/wrapped up for days.(inside house it would be soo straight, i loved it.

r u talkin about wrapping the hair while its wet?? because thats not what it is...at least where i was from.

i remeber around 88-89 when we all started getting doobies after our rollersets at the dom salons.
i swear it was the best thing ever. i would leave my hair pinned/wrapped up for days.(inside house it would be soo straight, i loved it.

I didn't start going to the Dominicans until the late 90's. I was wet wrapping for years. When I was in HS girls the girls were getting doobies or wet wraps.

There was this one girl in my class, her pins were always on point. They were always lined up so perfectly and never out of place:lachen:

Yep, been getting them done in the South for many years. I don't personally know any Dominican stylists in Houston, though I have read about a couple on here.

No, my stylists used to do roller/wraps, which are not the same as wet wraps. A roller wrap was rolling the hair on rollers, drying them, then doing a wrap (saran wrap treatment) or straighten the roots only with a flat iron. I was getting that done in Houston when I was a kid/teen - the same thing I get done here in the DMV, but honestly my AA stylist in Houston did a better job. She used much less heat and the bounce in my hair was ridiculous.

That's not a Dominican thing, it's just that some AA salons do mostly wet wraps or flat irons b/c ppl don't want to sit under the dryer waiting for rollers to dry.

I have a stylist I go to now in Houston who is from New Orleans and she grew up with roller/wraps, too

Last edited:
I'm from Houston and yeah roller wraps have been around for as long as I can remember. The first time I heard it called a doobie was in FL 1999 my freshman yr at FAMU. That's what the chicks from up north called it.

Back