The BEST method for removing hair from the drain is . . .

Glib Gurl

Baking Soda and Vinegar, baby!

A week or so ago I posted asking what folks recommended for removing hair clogs from the bathtub. (I had been using bottles of Liquid Plumber, but they never seemed to do much.) Some ladies here suggested I try baking soda and vinegar. After doing some research on the 'net (and finding that you should NOT use this right after using a commercial cleaning product because of a chemical reaction that would cause toxic fumes), I waited a few days before giving it a try. I put one cup of baking soda down the drain (well, really only a little actually went down the drain - it was so clogged that most of it just sat there) and then followed with a cup and a half of warm vinegar (2 minutes in the microwave). Let me tell you, I was amazed. It got rid of hair that had been sitting there for weeks (even despite the Liquid Plumber) and as for the remaining hair, it became so pliable that I was able to just pull it out with my hands and a bobby pin. Three or four flushes with boiled water from a kettle and voila -- my drain is completely clear! I am completely speechless.

So, yeah, go the store and get some vinegar and baking soda right now!

LocksOfLuV

The best method is preventative for me.

I got one of those drain cloggers that trap the hair and never had that problem again. That draino stuff ate a little bit of the metal around my tub and even though it is VERY little, I was kind of mad. My tub was so pretty.:lol:

KiniKakes

LocksOfLuV said:

I got one of those drain cloggers that trap the hair and never had that problem again. That draino stuff ate a little bit of the metal around my tub and even though it is VERY little, I was kind of mad. My tub was so pretty.:lol:

Yup, i use one of the drain cloggers too! It has tiny little holes in it for the water to escape, but catches most of the hair. I empty it out every now and then, when the water is taking longer to drain out.

Even so, my bathtub still gets clogged once in a while. I wonder what thats about.....:confused:

Str8~Curly

Yeah, those things are essential for me or else I would be using draino weekly.

LocksOfLuV said:

Isis

The best, safest method for me is the one Anky recommended once--Zip-It. I just stick the plastic strip down the drain and pull it out. All of the hair comes up with it. I bought mine at Walmart for around $5 - $6 .:)

Last edited:

BrooklynSouth

LocksOfLuV said:

Ditto, Glib Girl....get that drain strain/trapper fast. Family Dollar or most any other store sells them. The usage makes keeping track/counting of hair strands lost easier too. Once in a while baking soda/vinegar and boiling water to maintain drainage.

kyla

Thanks sooooooooooooo much Gilb Gurl!!!!!

Kyla

Glib Gurl said:
Baking Soda and Vinegar, baby!

A week or so ago I posted asking what folks recommended for removing hair clogs from the bathtub. (I had been using bottles of Liquid Plumber, but they never seemed to do much.) Some ladies here suggested I try baking soda and vinegar. After doing some research on the 'net (and finding that you should NOT use this right after using a commercial cleaning product because of a chemical reaction that would cause toxic fumes), I waited a few days before giving it a try. I put one cup of baking soda down the drain (well, really only a little actually went down the drain - it was so clogged that most of it just sat there) and then followed with a cup and a half of warm vinegar (2 minutes in the microwave). Let me tell you, I was amazed. It got rid of hair that had been sitting there for weeks (even despite the Liquid Plumber) and as for the remaining hair, it became so pliable that I was able to just pull it out with my hands and a bobby pin. Three or four flushes with boiled water from a kettle and voila -- my drain is completely clear! I am completely speechless.

So, yeah, go the store and get some vinegar and baking soda right now!

adw425

I've been doing the baking soda and vinegar about two years now and it does work like a charm. I just do it once a month mostly as a matter of course, but when I got lax a few months ago and hadn't done it in awhile and the baking soda and vinegar did not work that time. However, a friend told me to try the baking soda again and follow it with boiling hot water and boy, oh boy, all that hair and gunk dissolved like magic.

LocksOfLuV

Isis said:
The best, safest method for me is the one Anky recommended once--Zip-It. I just stick the plastic strip down the drain and pull it out. All of the hair comes up with it. I bought mine at Walmart for around $5 - $6 .:)

Remember SistaSlick's zip-it thread and she even included pics.:lol: Man it was a sight to see!

I sitll have yet to find that thing (altho I am too scary to use it).

LocksOfLuV

Here is the post SistaSilk made in my old thread. I loved it so much I wanted to share. Here are her pics from the zip-it!:eek: That last pic was a old hair tie (just in case you are thinking something else like I did).

SistaSlick said:
Hey coco! :wave:

Okay... I Zip'd it :eek:

Not for the easily disturbed . . . I must have Zip'd it like 40 million times.:lol: No drain in the house was safe.

jewel

Yes, this really works! Baking soda and vinegar are my staples. I clean everything with it..especially my drains. I try to stay clear of the chemical cleaners...I hate the smell.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
This post is right on time :up: because my tub is draining real slow....I already have the vinegar all I need is the baking soda (will be picking up some tomorrow).

The Girl

EMJazzy said:
This post is right on time :up: because my tub is draining real slow....I already have the vinegar all I need is the baking soda (will be picking up some tomorrow).
tomorrow? I am on my way to Meijers now(too bad its not later, I might run into Carmelty....:lol: )

wheezy807

LocksOfLuV said:
Here is the post SistaSilk made in my old thread. I loved it so much I wanted to share. Here are her pics from the zip-it!:eek: That last pic was a old hair tie (just in case you are thinking something else like I did).

Yeah, i remember that if memory serves me correctly, i was a newbie
over there.

Glib Gurl

I now have a hair catcher over my drain. Hopefully that will make a difference as well. Plus, now that I'm combing my hair in the shower I can see that that cuts down on how much hair goes down the drain!

SEMO

yay!!! i just tried this, and it definitely worked.

my love for vinegar and baking soda grows even more. lol
Thanks for bumping this. My drain is running a little slow and I will have to try this out. I already have the baking soda and vinegar. Also, I've been meaning to get one of those hair drain things for awhile.

Ms_Twana

So does this then allow the hair to travel down the drain without getting stuck?? Or do you still have to pull the hair out??