The AAA 'Experiment'.........for all my NO CHALLENGES sistas!

Did Vickid meant "T" as in "tablespoon?"

I have all those as well. I will experiment with my Shikakai/Reetha/Neem/Alma powders...

T= tablespoon

You guys might also try an oil called Navratna Plus. It's also great for stimulating growth. Here's a link--http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Himani-Navratna-Plus-Herbal-Cool-Oil.html

Are you speaking specifically of the different powders and oils that have been mentioned of late?

So it would be something like naming the products you will use and what you are using them for.

Example.

Shikakai, Aritha and Amla - brewed as a shampoo/conditioner for the hair.

Henna/Cassia/Indigo for conditioning and coloring.

Amla and Bringraj oil for oil rinses and daily use.

Amla and Hibiscus teas used as a spray for daily spritzing.

Is that what you mean? I have been doing my own personal Ayurvedic challenge since March of this year. (I have it in my fotki)

My goal has been to use Ayurvedic and natural products and wean myself off of all other products that don't meet these qualifications of at least have 90% of my products ayurvedic and natural.

Mscoco:
Question about the spritz....what is a good preservative to use?

I am a little nervous. I will dabble in it and make my final decision about this challenge after the first of the year.

I called my Indian friend and she said she will help me get started and even go with me to the Indian market here.

Last edited:
I've had several pm's from different people about pursuing a more Ayurvedic regimen and since we've had such an awesome response about it, I thought this would be a great 'experiment':look:

I like to give a shout out to my #1 NO CHALLENGES-NO MO! sista- DivaRox :notworthy for the great name: AAA = All Ayurveda till April

So what's it gonna be ladies? Are we gonna just let Candy_C keep growing hair down to her arse :blush: before we get a clue? :grin: Who's up for it AND what will you be doing?
:weird:AAA Players are:

Hericane10
mscocoface
tiffcurl
tricie
Leslie_C
lollyoo
DivaRox
MonaRae
Serenity_Peace
nappywomyn
JenFleets (Jan. '08 start)
jluvztweety
caribgirl
LaShanne
Andreainnis
Wannabelong
coconow2007

Mwuhahahahhaaaaaa

i just clocked this
verryyy funny!!

i'm trying to spread the word man, its just so hard to cram it all into one post :sad:

but yeh let me join, purlessssee

Okay, I feel really slow right now...what is Ayurvedic?:look:

Ayurveda is the oldest surviving complete medical system in the world. It is a holistic health system based on human harmony with nature. Ayurveda is a complete way of life. It is not only about treating sickness - it is based on preventing disease and enhancing health, longevity and vitality. The goal of Ayurveda is to achieve harmony and balance.

Ayurveda promotes health and wellness through the use of natural herbs/oils, and healthy eating and excercise regimens.

Ayurveda is the oldest surviving complete medical system in the world. It is a holistic health system based on human harmony with nature. Ayurveda is a complete way of life. It is not only about treating sickness - it is based on preventing disease and enhancing health, longevity and vitality. The goal of Ayurveda is to achieve harmony and balance.

Ayurveda promotes health and wellness through the use of natural herbs/oils, and healthy eating and excercise regimens.

Hear! Hear!

Go getcha self some incense sticks, meditate and pray to your god

This is healing, not obsession (as my mum likes to call all of my improvement ventures...parents eh?!)

Mwuhahahahhaaaaaa

i just clocked this
verryyy funny!!

i'm trying to spread the word man, its just so hard to cram it all into one post :sad:

but yeh let me join, purlessssee

Candy, don't be coming in here enticing the "green-eyed" monster with all that L-O-V-E-L-Y hair you swangin.......talkin 'bout can you 'purlesse' join':rolleyes: You need you lil booty wipped! :spank: Really now, how I look (hovering right above APL) telling Candy_C she can't be up in my 'experiment? :notworthy You know you're like the Ayurveda Matrix! :lachen::lachen:.........off to put Candy at the TOP of the list!:grin:

Here's my regi for now:

1 poo/week with shikaikai powder mixed with amla oil
(PrePoo overnight with shikaikai and amla oils)
Condition with my homeade conditioner (Mayo + A bunch of oils + honey)
Rinse
Seal ends with Castor Oil, Vatika, and Coconut Oil.

1 CO/Wash per week (deep condition applied to dry hair)
(I always do a pre-poo the night before I put any water on my hair with amla)
Rinse and seal ends as above

I won't use any heat except for deep conditioning, Protective styles only and continue taking mi' vits.

I'm new to LHCF so nothing's final but this is what I will try for now. If I see progress I will keep..If not I'll copy someone else's regi until I find something that WORKS!!!:lachen::grin:

P.S. I may do a Peppermint Oil App to my hair overnight every now and again..I did that earlier this week and had NewGrowth the NEXT MORNING!!! Obviously it wasn't a lot of growth but it was something.

My turn to post a reggie!

Wash days: Sat. and Tue. + 1 CW :look:

Oil scalp and hair with EV Coconut oil or homemade shikakai-amla oil blend (as pre-treat with steam towel for 1 hour OR overnight)
'Scritch' :yep: for 5-10 minutes
Saturate dry hair with herbal poo (amla/shikakai/reetha) for 30min-1hour
Rinse in shower
DC with heat and steam towel for 30 minutes
Rinse in shower
Apply Daily Doctor Leave-In (veeerry moisturizing)
Oil scalp with majabhringraj and bhringraj oils (gotta find kesini, navratna, & neelibringadi oils to add to my rotation :look:)
Seal damp hair with EV Coconut oil or Vatika oil

CW Day:

Pretreat dry hair with Avocado Mix ( avocado, buttermilk, wheat germ or EV Coconut oil, and honey) for 1-2 hours
Rinse in shower
Saturate hair with herbal poo for 5-15 minutes
Rinse in shower
CW with Suave Biobasics :lick: (me likey!)

Henna gloss bimonthly!
OFFICIAL START DEC. 3 (If majabhringraj and bhringraj oils are in):ohwell:

I've been doing this for the past two weeks, so you can count me in.

Pre-poo/oil rinse with Coconut oil or Amla Oil

"wash" with either Shikakai oil or Shikakai powder mixed with Brahmi powder

Oil massages twice a week

take down bun as needed to rub some coconut oil or Candy C's Avococo Cream.

ETA: Henna once a month

*This is one regimen that is actually working. Haven't looked for any growth, but I do love the way my hair feels. For the past week and a half or so, I have not had to do any co-washes...my hair is still soft and moisturized to the touch

I've been doing this for the past two weeks, so you can count me in.

Pre-poo/oil rinse with Coconut oil or Amla Oil

"wash" with either Shikakai oil or Shikakai powder mixed with Brahmi powder

Oil massages twice a week

take down bun as needed to rub some coconut oil or Candy C's Avococo Cream.

ETA: Henna once a month

*This is one regimen that is actually working. Haven't looked for any growth, but I do love the way my hair feels. For the past week and a half or so, I have not had to do any co-washes...my hair is still soft and moisturized to the touch

glad your liking the avo'coco creme!!!

Ok I just ordered some oils so count me in on this one!!!!! Once I get them and experiment a little ill come up with a reggie!

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. been lurking for about a year now. I would like to be a part of this challenge. I too need to learn more about the herbs, oils, etc.

I currently use Aubrey Organics shampoos and conditioners and evoo and coconut oils on my hair. My hair is not quite at my armpits and it is not as thick as I would like it to be.

Any pointer for a newbie are greatly appreciated. I have printed this thread to get an idea of what a regie should be. I am so excited!!

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. been lurking for about a year now. I would like to be a part of this challenge. I too need to learn more about the herbs, oils, etc.

I currently use Aubrey Organics shampoos and conditioners and evoo and coconut oils on my hair. My hair is not quite at my armpits and it is not as thick as I would like it to be.

Any pointer for a newbie are greatly appreciated. I have printed this thread to get an idea of what a regie should be. I am so excited!!

I would suggest starting with the oils until you feel comfortable. Use them as a pre-poo treatment and for weekly scalp massages. When you feel adventurous- mix 2-3 Tbsp of amla, 1-2 Tbsp Shikakai powders, and 2 c. of water. Saturate hair. DONT SCRUB, RUB, OR COMB! Wait 5-30 minutes, then rinse well. You'll love the SHINEY SOFTNESS!:yep:

I would suggest starting with the oils until you feel comfortable. Use them as a pre-poo treatment and for weekly scalp massages. When you feel adventurous- mix 2-3 Tbsp of amla, 1-2 Tbsp Shikakai powders, and 2 c. of water. Saturate hair. DONT SCRUB, RUB, OR COMB! Wait 5-30 minutes, then rinse well. You'll love the SHINEY SOFTNESS!:yep:

Thanks HERicane10,
I am going online to purchase some oils and powders! This is not good....I am at work now!!!! Gonna have to write the state a check today!

:drunk:

Okay, I think I'm in, but I'm trying to figure out how to work it into my current schedule.

I only touch my hair once a week, on the weekend. Mon-Fri, I give my hair a little spritz (sometimes) in the morning, and I'm done. My usual style isn't very 'scritching' friendly (set of flat twists) and I don't want to have to redo my hair in the middle of the week - supergrowth or not, I don't think the herbs would make up for the additional manipulation.

My hair doesn't like oil straight, and just BARELY tolerates it in mixes, so I can't do the oil soaks/rinses - though, I wish I could. *sigh* Maybe I should give it one more try.

I do a weekly DC on dry hair which doubles as a cowash - maybe I can mix the powders in with that? :ohwell:
I also do a post everything rinse on my hair - maybe I can add the powders to that..... but they need to be rinsed out, right? Hrmmm........

I think my best bet will be adding them to the DC, and then proceeding as usual after that.

Ok, here's my regimen. All you experts, please feel free to tweak it where you see fit as I am new to the game. Can we say...:newbie:

Every Sunday
1) Pre-poo - a) scritch with shikakhai oil for about 10 – 15 minutes. b) add alma oil and let sit for 20-30 minutes, rinse well with warm-hot water.
2) Herbal Rinse – Mix 2 tablespoons of Alma powder and 1 tablespoon of Shikakhai powder with hot water, saturate hair, let sit for 30 minutes, rinse well.
3) Deep Condition with heat.
4) Moisturize with leave in coditioner.
5) Seal ends with coconut, castor and shea oil.
6) Co-wash on Wednesday or Thursday.

Okay...What is a henna treatment and how do you do one? What is "scritch"?

Alright pcperfection!.....Class is in session!:grin:

Henna is another natural herbal powder that conditions and colors the hair. It colors in shades that range from orange to burgundy. It can be used with water and oil only or done as a 'henna gloss' by adding a couple of spoonfuls to a moisturizing conditioner.

Scritching is compliments of Candy_C. It just means a good 'ole scalp scratching. You know how momma used to do it with that comb girl! :rolleyes: Just slap them good oils on there and get those lil fingers moving.:yep:

Found a recipe for my kitchen chemist! :grin:

Hair oil with amla and methi:
- Take 10 to 15 g of dry amla (gooseberries) and one teaspoon fenugreek (methi) seeds. Grind both amla and methi seeds coarsely.
- Add them to 100 ml pure coconut oil or sesame seed (til) oil. Put all the ingredients in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid.
- Keep the jar in the sun daily for 15 days, shaking it each day in order to mix the ingredients.
- After 15 days, strain the oil through a clean muslin cloth and keep the oil in a glass jar.
- This oil can be used to treat dandruff as well.

The methi is good for further darkening the hair, but could be eliminated all together if you can't find it!

Okay, I think I'm in, but I'm trying to figure out how to work it into my current schedule.

I only touch my hair once a week, on the weekend. Mon-Fri, I give my hair a little spritz (sometimes) in the morning, and I'm done. My usual style isn't very 'scritching' friendly (set of flat twists) and I don't want to have to redo my hair in the middle of the week - supergrowth or not, I don't think the herbs would make up for the additional manipulation.

My hair doesn't like oil straight, and just BARELY tolerates it in mixes, so I can't do the oil soaks/rinses - though, I wish I could. *sigh* Maybe I should give it one more try.

I do a weekly DC on dry hair which doubles as a cowash - maybe I can mix the powders in with that? :ohwell:
I also do a post everything rinse on my hair - maybe I can add the powders to that..... but they need to be rinsed out, right? Hrmmm........

I think my best bet will be adding them to the DC, and then proceeding as usual after that.

Perhaphs you're right about doing it on dry hair. One vertsion of my reggie shows how I do it like that, then CW. I love it!

Ok, here's my regimen. All you experts, please feel free to tweak it where you see fit as I am new to the game. Can we say...:newbie:

Every Sunday
1) Pre-poo - a) scritch with shikakhai oil for about 10 – 15 minutes. b) add alma oil and let sit for 20-30 minutes, rinse well with warm-hot water.
2) Herbal Rinse – Mix 2 tablespoons of Alma powder and 1 tablespoon of Shikakhai powder with hot water, saturate hair, let sit for 30 minutes, rinse well.
3) Deep Condition with heat.
4) Moisturize with leave in coditioner.
5) Seal ends with coconut, castor and shea oil.
6) Co-wash on Wednesday or Thursday.

Look at you, 'newbie'!:rolleyes: Girl, that reggie sounds great. Have you considered using a steam towel after your oil application to help penetration. Also, are you open to doing the hebal mix 2x a week; since you're CW anyway? Maybe you could do what i do on those days and apply it as your pre-treat. :look:

I would like to start simple..

1)Pre-shampoo with one or 2 of the indian oils on dry hair with heat
2)Rinse well and apply 1 or 2 herbal powders with water ( this combo will replace my shampoo for 1 month or longer depending upon my results)
3)Conditioner wash and detangle under running water. I will use my regular moisturizing conditioners
4) Apply regular leave in and seal with my regular monoi oil or parachute oil or vatika oil.
5) Air dry in a bun
6) I will be applying a henna/ indigo treatment 1x/month for my color and conditioning
7) Wet set only using Macherie's techniques when I want to wear my hair out for the christmas holiday.
8) Sleep in silk head wrap everynight.. I will try my best not to forget.
9) No combing or brushing. Massage scalp with indian oils as needed.

thats it.. hope i didn't forget anything.... I will try to do this from dec 1 to jan 1 and celebrate my 15 year wedding anniversary on jan 1 with a healthy and hopefully longer head of hair.. i am getting very excited.... :)

Look at you, 'newbie'!:rolleyes: Girl, that reggie sounds great. Have you considered using a steam towel after your oil application to help penetration. Also, are you open to doing the hebal mix 2x a week; since you're CW anyway? Maybe you could do what i do on those days and apply it as your pre-treat. :look:

Ok, I will incorporate your suggestions into my regimen (he he he...I have a regimen!) Thank you soo much HERicane10.

I would like to start simple..

1)Pre-shampoo with one or 2 of the indian oils on dry hair with heat
2)Rinse well and apply 1 or 2 herbal powders with water ( this combo will replace my shampoo for 1 month or longer depending upon my results)
3)Conditioner wash and detangle under running water. I will use my regular moisturizing conditioners
4) Apply regular leave in and seal with my regular monoi oil or parachute oil or vatika oil.
5) Air dry in a bun
6) I will be applying a henna/ indigo treatment 1x/month for my color and conditioning
7) Wet set only using Macherie's techniques when I want to wear my hair out for the christmas holiday.
8) Sleep in silk head wrap everynight.. I will try my best not to forget.
9) No combing or brushing. Massage scalp with indian oils as needed.

thats it.. hope i didn't forget anything.... I will try to do this from dec 1 to jan 1 and celebrate my 15 year wedding anniversary on jan 1 with a healthy and hopefully longer head of hair.. i am getting very excited.... :)

That plan sounds AWESOME! :yep: 15 years! :blush: Get outta here! You look about 35. CONGRATS! I'm sure you'll be swangin atleast a few more inches by then!:grin:

That plan sounds AWESOME! :yep: 15 years! :blush: Get outta here! You look about 35. CONGRATS! I'm sure you'll be swangin atleast a few more inches by then!:grin:

:yep:..i am 30 sumthin hee hee. thanks for starting this group experiment. :grin:

off to try to find out where to get these products.....

I'm interested but I don't have a clue about how to do this. so if there will be some type of instructions or steps to follow, i'm in

I'm interested but I don't have a clue about how to do this. so if there will be some type of instructions or steps to follow, i'm in

almond, i'ma let chu bite of my reggie...just this one time! :lachen: but you better be working on your on! :grin: I'm kinda protective of my stuff! :lachen:

Oil scalp and hair with EV Coconut oil or homemade shikakai-amla oil blend (as pre-treat with steam towel for 1 hour OR overnight)
'Scritch' for 5-10 minutes
Saturate dry hair with herbal poo (amla/shikakai/reetha) for 30min-1hour
Rinse in shower
DC with heat and steam towel for 30 minutes
Rinse in shower
Apply Daily Doctor Leave-In (veeerry moisturizing)
Oil scalp with majabhringraj and bhringraj oils (gotta find kesini, navratna, & neelibringadi oils to add to my rotation )
Seal damp hair with EV Coconut oil or Vatika oil

Back