That Hair Salon Shine!

Elizabeth26

Do anybody get that same hair salon shine at home? What I mean by hair salon shine is when I get my hair down at the salon it's so shiny that it looks like black satin. I do get my hair nice and shiny at home but it don't compare to the salon.

to get that hair salon shine, you gotta use that hair salon heat. lots of it... :look: Well that's just my opinion. I get the shine when i have a fresh relaxer (no more than 5weeks post) and i wash, apply oils blow dry and then flat-iron. i guess i don't aim for it often so i don't have any better suggestions....

to get that hair salon shine, you gotta use that hair salon heat. lots of it... Well that's just my opinion.

thats my opinion too. I mean you can get that salon shine without salon heat but its harder. I've gotten it before but not consistently because I used a flat iron from Wal-Mart (it was actually good) and my technique is not the best (yet)

I think you can also get the shine by blow drying damp ( not wet ) hair, using a product (like BioSilk) and natural oils (I use olive)....

Anyway.....I won't know how good all this works until December!

One method I tried, I put my leave in condition in my hair then I sat under the head dryer for 15 mins. Then I put some Nexxus botanic oil over my hair and finishing blow drying. It had a much better shine then normal when I did this.

i never get the salon hair shine when i do my hair at home. I like the shine and everything, but the process of GETTING the shine is a bit too painful for me. I've come to resent the heat, especially how it gives me scalp pain for days after, so I only get blowouts once in a while. When I do rollersets and moisturize my hair right after, I get a good amount of shine.

The hair salon shine is definitely due to 1) heat, 2) professional products--but mainly heat. The straighter your hair, the more light it reflects--hence the shine.

I get it when I use little products, blowout and flat iron my hair. It also gives me lots of swing and bounce.

You could always try The Body Shop's grape seed glossing serum:

pd_grape_seed_glossing_serum.jpg

Queenie said:
Have you tried Salerm21 leave-in? It works well and so does coconut oil.

No I haven't tried that or the body shop serum. I was asking this question because I always wondering what the salon did to get your hair to look so shiny. How do you do a clear rinse? It really doesn't matter as long as my hair is healthy and has a shine.

I use coconut oil and a little bit of creme press, and my hair is shiny!

I recently did a home rollerset...
First, I was'd, con'd, then oiled scalp, sprayed some of that ole MTG/Surge Mix vaguely, and added Lacio setting lotion mixed with a lil Kuz... And I mad a lil revelation NEVER TO VISIT SALON AGAIN, because it came out so good... Only if I have a perm though... because roots are outta control(8wks post)... LOL...
I plan on flatironin in morning to get them str...then I will be str8

bumping for more responses.

i did my hair yself last night instead of going to the salon and it came out dry and really dull even though i used a leave in.

Some of the ladies suggested coconut oil to me and I loved it.

Yesterday, I washed and deep conditioned with my mix of ORS conditioning pack, queen helene cholesterol, coconut oil and black castor oil (its bliss....try it you'll love it) under the dryer.

Then after I washed it out I applied just Nexxus Headress and about a teaspoon more of coconut oil. I blow dried with a round brush and voila....gorgeous full shiny hair six weeks post relaxer.

So long story short...TRY COCONUT OIL! ;)

yeah...i think i do agree with the level of heat they use in the salon. i use exactly all the products and tools my stylist uses and i can get the same bouncy curls or the sleek staightness but its not quite the same. i know their tools are HOT because i see the smoke going when they're doing other peoples hair but i refuse to turn the heat up on my fhi!!!:eek:
btw, i dont go often to my stylist. actually i just started going about 1x a month for the last 3 months:p

WhipzEffect has this shine you speak naturally. I just look at her hair and think...WOW!

I posed this questions once before on this board and the resounding answer was serum. More specifically NTM SERUM.

Still hadn't bought any.

Back