~~TBL 2012 Challenge~~

My appt went well. I did a steam treatment again and she blow dried with the round brush before setting so I wouldn't have to sit under the dryer as long. I noticed some split ends after blow drying, which made me wonder if it was from the brush b/c I just did an S&D last week and haven't done anything but bun since then. It could be that my ends were dry inside my bun? IDK, but I'll be doing another mini trim whenever I can. Right now my hair is too curly.

Overall I like the results. I think it will look better once the curls fall. My next appointment is at the end of the month. We talked about finding a style that doesn't involve blow drying or flat ironing. Maybe twists or a flat twist set or something like that.

OK something is going on w/fotki. I can't upload my pics. I'll try from my phone.

ETA: That didn't work either. Sorry girls! Pics are in my fotki. Link is in my "about me" section.

Last edited:
Today is wash day. I put twists in a few days ago. Much faster than the braids. So it will be the first time I washed in twists. Hope I am not setting myself up for a mass of tangles:nono: If it works I will probably keep twists for a while. All total are 16 medium twist.

Will let you know how it turns out. Keep it growing ladies:yep:

Today is wash day. I put twists in a few days ago. Much faster than the braids. So it will be the first time I washed in twists. Hope I am not setting myself up for a mass of tangles:nono: If it works I will probably keep twists for a while. All total are 16 medium twist.

Will let you know how it turns out. Keep it growing ladies:yep:

Vintagecoilylocks

Awe man! I'd love to see your hair in twists. Care to share a pic? :lick:

Ok Ladies. My longest layer is grazing HL. I have about 4-5 inches of bonelaxed hair that I'd like to trim away this year. I'm planning to do a small, 1 inch trim next month and then start trimming an inch or more every two months after the winter months until the bonelaxed ends are gone. Hopefully I'll be hanging out at full HL while getting rid of the ends and then move forward from there. How does that sound?

Ok Ladies. My longest layer is grazing HL. I have about 4-5 inches of bonelaxed hair that I'd like to trim away this year. I'm planning to do a small, 1 inch trim next month and then start trimming an inch or more every two months after the winter months until the bonelaxed ends are gone. Hopefully I'll be hanging out at full HL while getting rid of the ends and then move forward from there. How does that sound?

NJoy
sounds like a good plan, you'll get rid of the relaxed ends while thickening up those ends at the same time.

NJoy - That sounds good. Are you still using sulfur?

I think I'm done with major trims. I need to dust soon, but I have to wait until after I wash my hair which will probably be next thursday. I also need to buy some new shears. I should stop being cheap and invest in a good pair.

My flexi-rod set is holding up nicely. I wore the tight curls for the first week, then separated them and frizzed them up a bit for week two. I'll definitely be trying this style again, but for my next appointment I want to take a break from the blow dryer. Still haven't decided exactly what I want to do though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

@NJoy - That sounds good. Are you still using sulfur?

I think I'm done with major trims. I need to dust soon, but I have to wait until after I wash my hair which will probably be next thursday. I also need to buy some new shears. I should stop being cheap and invest in a good pair.

My flexi-rod set is holding up nicely. I wore the tight curls for the first week, then separated them and frizzed them up a bit for week two. I'll definitely be trying this style again, but for my next appointment I want to take a break from the blow dryer. Still haven't decided exactly what I want to do though.

Sent from my HTC Evo

FoxxyLocs

No. I haven't started yet but I do plan on getting back to using sulfur. My husband is going to start doing a lot of traveling for work. I'm waiting for him to clear out first. I've been trying not to go to bed baggied and with all sorts of aromas for awhile. Even tho he says he's used to it, he made a few sly comments about it all and use to say that the rosemary gave him headaches. Again, he says he's used to it but, I just thought I'd be "normal" around him for awhile.

He's supposed to be leaving on Monday but, I think it's being pushed back til later this month. That being the case, I'm going to get back to my concoctions, baggies and plain Jane hairstyles on Monday anyway. Hey. I have goals to meet. :look:

I'm looking forward to the "down" time tho. I'm gonna be in hair mode, working on my body and eating healthy. His presence is curbing some of that. :rolleyes:

My set is two weeks old and still looks pretty good. I had planned to wash today, but I have a lot going on through this weekend so it will have too wait. I did a quick S&D the other day, but I need to go back through when I have more time.

I've been looking for a good round brush too. I'm thinking maybe I could find a better one that isn't as damaging, that I could take with me for the stylist to use in my hair. I also have my seamless combs that might be an option. I don't have a problem with getting my hair blow dried, but that round brush pretty much shredded my hair. Luckily it was only here and there and not all over, but I don't want them using that brush on my hair anymore.

Sent from my HTC Evo

I would like to join this challenge! I recently decided that TBL is the absolute longest that I want to grow my hair. Now, the likelihood that I will actually make it to TBL this year is slim to none but what do I have to loose :spinning:; in the spirit of keeping the vision before me I am in :grin:

Current length: I am in a no length check challenge so I won't be able to say for sure what my length is until I can check in March but at my last check I was less than an inch shy of WL.

Current reg.: Wash and deep condition once a week (I alternate between co washing and using a sulphate free shampoo).
Style once a week using a modified version of the tightly curly method.
Moisturize twice a day.

As far as plans go, I plan to continue following my current regimen (tweaking as necessary) and to enjoy my hair every step of the way :grin:.

Lucia -- holy moly .... ankle/floor length never entered my mind as a possibility! Nice thing was her hair looked healthy.

WOW ... inspiration.

Thanks for joining! - testimony777 Your siggy hair looks really healthy. Can't wait to see your progress!

Instead of washing my hair this week I'm just going to wait and let them shampoo it at my appointment on Monday. I don't like to shampoo that often, and a few days isn't going to hurt. I'm going to rinse my hair, DC (w/protein), and seal heavily with oil (probably crisco) in preparation for my appointment.

The salon I'm going to uses Sebastian products, which I had never heard of. The last couple of times they used the Penetraitt shampoo and some Paul Mitchell conditioner. I think I want to try the Drench shampoo and conditioner next. I've had good results so far. My hair stays soft between appointments and I don't have to moisturize as often, even though they use sulfate shampoos. I think the steam treatments are what's making the difference.

I spent 3 hours last night doing a thorough detangling, moisturizing and sealing. My hair looks and feels great! :drunk: I did nothing to it today but may do a scalp massage before bed. I am sort of tired tho so, we'll see.

What's up with you ladies?

I decided on twists for my next salon appointment. I can wash my hair in twists, so I can keep them in longer. I'd like to just keep getting them redone until spring and then straighten again.

I posted this in my blog, but I figured I'd repost here for anyone who's curious. I get a lot of questions about my regimen, which has been a work in progress for the past 6 months or so. I've been following this one pretty consistently for 3 months almost, so I think this is going to be it unless I start having problems. So far so good though. Quick, easy, and very low maintenance.

Monthly salon visit:

Shampoo (sulfate shampoo)
DC under steamer x 20-40 min
Detangle
Style
I use heat sparingly - flat iron every 3-4 months, blow dryer every 1-2 months

At Home:

Salon style lasts 2-3 weeks
Moisturize and seal as needed (2-3x/wk)
Protein 1x/month
DC 1x/month (total of 2 DCs per month)
Trim every 2-3 months

Products:

Salon - Sebastian line of shampoo and conditioner - alternate b/t drench & penetraitt, they've also used a paul mitchell conditioner, but idk which one
Aubrey Organics HSR or WC conditioner for my DC
Grapeseed oil
Safflower oil
Crisco
Argan oil
Castor oil
Egg (for protein treatments)
Aloe vera gel
Raw honey (i just bought this so we'll see if it becomes a staple)

The oils/AVG/honey are added to my DC. The protein treatment is my regular DC + an egg. For moisture I add AOHSR/water to a spray bottle and then seal with crisco.

I do not detangle or shampoo my hair at home, only at the salon. So far it's been almost 3 months of this and I haven't had any issues with matting. This regimen is super simple, easy, and best of all it doesn't take up very much of my time. As far as length retention we'll have to see. My next length check will be in April.

I want in!!!!

NJoy directed me to this thread from the HL thead. Thanks again...
Here are my stats.

Vitals

Current Length:Longest locs at TBL with my thickest layers at WL
Regimen: Currently using the Deep Moisture Method and wigging as my PS until it gets too hot. Then I'll keep it under headwraps and tams.
Plans: I want to even out my layers. I got scissor happy last year and now I seriously regret it. Now that I've figured out how to use wigs to switch up my style when I want a change, maybe my locs can even out- we'll see.
TBL Length Date: My longest locs with be there within the year, but it will take a while for my hemline to even out- maybe 2-3 years. That's cool though.

I just had my DH take a pic and I have to tweak it on photobucket, but I'll post a pic tomorrow morning at work.:yep:

I want in!!!!

@NJoy directed me to this thread from the HL thead. Thanks again...
Here are my stats.

Vitals

Current Length:Longest locs at TBL with my thickest layers at WL
Regimen: Currently using the Deep Moisture Method and wigging as my PS until it gets too hot. Then I'll keep it under headwraps and tams.
Plans: I want to even out my layers. I got scissor happy last year and now I seriously regret it. Now that I've figured out how to use wigs to switch up my style when I want a change, maybe my locs can even out- we'll see.
TBL Length Date: My longest locs with be there within the year, but it will take a while for my hemline to even out- maybe 2-3 years. That's cool though.

I just had my DH take a pic and I have to tweak it on photobucket, but I'll post a pic tomorrow morning at work.:yep:

goldielocs

Woohoo! New pics! I can't wait!!! :woohoo:

Welcome aboard, you super long-haired Diva! Oh, and FoxxyLocs is the one that I was talking about being previously loc'd. :yep:

Me again! I'm planning to trim another inch tomorrow night. I did one a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna get rid of these scrawny relaxed ends and thicken up this hemline by the end of the year for sure. I'm pretty excited.

BTW, I DC my hair yesterday with a mixture of egg yolks, honey, aloe vera gel, EVOO, Aussie Moist with sage and fenugreek EOs added. My hair LOVED it and feels WONDERFUL! :reddancer: I'm a happy camper right now. This after a frustrating detangling incident a few days ago.

Last edited:
@goldielocs - How long have you had your locs? They look great!

Thanks! This set will be 10 years old on Valentine's Day this year :yay: I'm so excited!!! I'm planning to buy some pretty loc jewelry and take some pics with my hair out. Shoot, I've been natural since 97 now that I think about it... BC'd straight out of high school.

Ta daaaahhhh! The deed is done. Another inch or so of bonelaxed ends trimmed away. I'm not sure how even that will be since my hair wasn't straight but hey, I'll even things up by year's end.

I don't really have any updates. My twists are holding up ok. I need to DC today or tomorrow. I'll be keeping these in for another week or two and then do a twistout. I've just been spritzing them every few days and keeping them in a high bun.

Hi Ladies,

I just came out of the deep hole of main computor off line. I was trying to use my daughters Tablet but it would not let me post. So just wanted to say high. Sorry I did not respond to a few of you. Even when I went to the library I could not post on the site. Soooo frustrating.:ohwell:

Well I tweaked the regimin again. The twists are working better for because of the speed. I liked the braids though. They stayed better. I quess nothing is perfect. I have used my two differrent leave ins for crown and nape and it is what my hair needed. The textures are just to extremely different to use the same producets.

I noticed that lately I am loosing even less hair Yeah. So my shed was still in progress during 2011. So maybe now I can really focus on the growing in my thickness and not the loosing for a change.

Welcome to the new ladies on this journey to TBL. Good to see progress for so many of you. Its a thrill to see all the beautiful heads of hair. :yep:

Hi Ladies,

I just came out of the deep hole of main computor off line. I was trying to use my daughters Tablet but it would not let me post. So just wanted to say high. Sorry I did not respond to a few of you. Even when I went to the library I could not post on the site. Soooo frustrating.:ohwell:

Well I tweaked the regimin again. The twists are working better for because of the speed. I liked the braids though. They stayed better. I quess nothing is perfect. I have used my two differrent leave ins for crown and nape and it is what my hair needed. The textures are just to extremely different to use the same producets.

I noticed that lately I am loosing even less hair Yeah. So my shed was still in progress during 2011. So maybe now I can really focus on the growing in my thickness and not the loosing for a change.

Welcome to the new ladies on this journey to TBL. Good to see progress for so many of you. Its a thrill to see all the beautiful heads of hair. :yep:

Ugh! How frustrating. I would have died!! When my internet access goes out for even a few minutes, I start freaking out. :lol: I can only imagine how frustrated you were.

Glad to hear things are looking good for you and that the shedding has let up. Now onto growing. And welcome back. :bighug:

Back