super-mini twists...... any hair loss?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

Anyone wear mini twists regularly
(both currently or in the past)?????

ever experience any problems with them? increased hair loss, tangles, knots etc. while wearing or removing them?

(my hair is super FINE, a bit afraid of thinning):ohwell:

faithVA

Anyone wear mini twists regularly

(both currently or in the past)?????

ever experience any problems with them? increased hair loss, tangles, knots etc. while wearing or removing them?

(my hair is super FINE, a bit afraid of thinning):ohwell:

I wear what I would call super mini-twists. My hair is a mix of 4a/4b. My hair appears to be fine and dense so I don't have the big fluffy twists like I see on others.

I have about 300 little twists on my head right about now. (obv. an estimate).

I don't experience any problem if I keep water off my roots and keep it moisturized. I make sure that I check my twists during the week and retwists any that are loose. I take my twists out after a week or two and wear a twist out until shampoo day. I prepoo with oil, oil/water, oil/conditioner, etc and detangle THOROUGHLY prior to shampooing.

I don't have another hair style at the moment.:ohwell:

I am wearing this style because I already had thinning in my crown and temples. But I have not experienced any thinning or issues because of them.

tmkersha

I always get knots when I wear mini twists. They are very pretty... but for me not they are worth the trouble they cause. That's why I prefer medium sized twists.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa

Nope. I don't think they can lead to hair loss.....

To battle tangling, when you are twisting your hair, and you have the two sections that you are twirling around each other, make sure that you keep those two sections completely separated and don't borrow hair from the other section, that leads to tangling.

Also make sure you have clean parts when you do them, and don't borrow hair from other twist sections

For knots, don't constantly wet your hair and make sure the ends stay twisted and not loose.

When you go to take them down, detangle small sections as you go along. Don't wait until you have a big head of hair to detangle. Make sure that you are removing all of the shed hair from your hair. Section your hair off, detangle, then braid or twist it back u.

manter26

I have fine textured hair and I get all of the above from mini twists. They cause hair loss for me. The hair tangles and knots all the way down, root to tip. It's not worth it for me to do them.

fatimablush

i am planning on doing mini twist on my head...my sister is putting super mini twists in her hair now and the part she finished looks soooooooooo cute.

appplecidder

Are you telling me you have 300 twist in your head and they only stay in a week or two... With 300 twist in my head they would be on lock down for at least a month or two..

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

faithVA

Are you telling me you have 300 twist in your head and they only stay in a week or two... With 300 twist in my head they would be on lock down for at least a month or two..

Sent from my MB200 using Long Hair Care Forum App

I know, I know :nono: But my hair fuzzes up soooo bad. I put the twist in Sunday by Thursday it looked like it was ready to loc. By next Thursday when I take them down you won't be able to tell I have twists. It will look like I have untwisted them for a twist out. If I don't take them out by the 2nd week, my roots start locing together and the shed hairs start wrapping around the hair.

If I kept these in for a month I would have to shave my head.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I know, I know :nono: But my hair fuzzes up soooo bad. I put the twist in Sunday by Thursday it looked like it was ready to loc. By next Thursday when I take them down you won't be able to tell I have twists. It will look like I have untwisted them for a twist out. If I don't take them out by the 2nd week, my roots start locing together and the shed hairs start wrapping around the hair.

If I kept these in for a month I would have to shave my head.

ok i'm somepost to be writing...

but I agree faith... the ONLY WAY i've had success with mine not locking is by not wetting at all!

or... by not using ANY CONDITIONERS (including prepping for twists, conditioning while in twists, cowashing, etc.)

if i use only oils.... no problemo... if I use any creams or conditioners they lock monster by the second week (at the base of the twist, micro braid, etc)

faithVA

ok i'm somepost to be writing...

but I agree faith... the ONLY WAY i've had success with mine not locking is by not wetting at all!

or... by not using ANY CONDITIONERS (including prepping for twists, conditioning while in twists, cowashing, etc.)

if i use only oils.... no problemo... if I use any creams or conditioners they lock monster by the second week (at the base of the twist, micro braid, etc)

Each time I do twists I am experimenting to see what I can do to keep them moisturized. I am not focusing on eliminating the fuzzies. I know the water is a no no. Baggying is a no no. I've tried that several different ways and it never works.

And since I only wear my hair in twists not conditioning my hair prior to twisting is probably not a good idea. I don't do butters or creams or heavy oils.

It's just a process of elimination at this point. Right now I am using sunflower oil which seems to be working fine for moisture. It's not locing but it is still fuzzy. I have some theories but I just need to keep working on them.

I had this locing problem even when I was relaxed. I was just more clueless then. And my hair has ALWAYS been fuzzy. I always went to school looking like my mom never did my hair. I'm just lucky I guess. :lol:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

I had this locing problem even when I was relaxed. I was just more clueless then. And my hair has ALWAYS been fuzzy. I always went to school looking like my mom never did my hair. I'm just lucky I guess. :lol:
:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

me as well... I've worn micro's while relaxed for 3 years without breaks

locking at the base was also the issue... learned very well what not to do on my hair ... ....guess the Robyn did as well on her crown and glory method... (she advised apply product inch from the base i think)... but I learned that the hard way

Nonie

Nope. I don't think they can lead to hair loss.....

To battle tangling, when you are twisting your hair, and you have the two sections that you are twirling around each other, make sure that you keep those two sections completely separated and don't borrow hair from the other section, that leads to tangling.

Also make sure you have clean parts when you do them, and don't borrow hair from other twist sections

For knots, don't constantly wet your hair and make sure the ends stay twisted and not loose.

When you go to take them down, detangle small sections as you go along. Don't wait until you have a big head of hair to detangle. Make sure that you are removing all of the shed hair from your hair. Section your hair off, detangle, then braid or twist it back u.

ITA. Just wanted to add that one way to keep hair from the two sections of the twists separate is to twirl them first around their own axis before wrapping them around each other like this. That way, undoing will be as easy as this even after numerous washes.

And yes, working on small sections is invaluable. It's what I've always done. Even when I had single extension braids, I'd undo a section, fully finger comb it pulling out shed hair and then doing the same to a few others. I'd then braid the fully detangled hair in big plaits while I work on another set. I'd braid it to keep it from curling back on itself or getting detangled before I was done with the rest of the hair.

While my regimen doesn't involve undoing all the twists and having loose hair, I just redo one at a time so only ever have one twist out, were I to undo all of them, I'd not change this regimen of finishing with one tiny section first before doing another. This allows me to be meticulous without feeling overwhelmed. And because the rest of my hair is "safe" in twists until I'm ready for it, tangled hair isn't something I ever have to deal with. Nor impatience a demon that I ever encounter--which is really one reason folks end up breaking their hair.

faithVA

:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

me as well... I've worn micro's while relaxed for 3 years without breaks

locking at the base was also the issue... learned very well what not to do on my hair ... ....guess the Robyn did as well on her crown and glory method... (she advised apply product inch from the base i think)... but I learned that the hard way

I may try this again once my hair is long enough to bun. I'm just not sure that it is the answer. My hair locs no matter what style I have my hair in: twists, braids, cornrows, weaves (really bad), extensions, no extensions.

And I haven't always put product in my hair especially when I had it done at the salon.

So maybe when the back is long enough to bun I will try again with just my bangs. Will definitely not try my entire head. :nono: