Sulfate free ladies, do you pre-poo?

beautyaddict1913

I tried searching for the answer to this question but could not find one directly so forgive me if this thread is archived! Ladies who use sulfate free poos/poo bars, do you pre-poo? I thought the point of pre-pooing was to lessen the harsh effects of sls, so I eliminated it from my regimen long ago. I have been wondering if I should include it again.

If you still pre-poo in spite of being sls free, why? what do you use to pre-poo? do you still deep condition on the days you pre-poo/what is your regimen when you pre-poo?

Excuse me for being so "questionative" lol but I am extra curious!!:blush:

i don't use sls but i still pre-poo. for me, the reason i prepoo is because it makes detangling significantly easier. if i weren't natural i might not prepoo.

I prepoo sometimes but when I do, I use oil (anyone not really particular) as my prepoo and i find that some sls shampoos are harsher than sls shampoos free and prepooing does help especially when i was using shikikai shampoo bars.

Last edited:
I use WEN...so except for when I clarify I don't use sulfates either. In general, I do not prepoo unless my hair is coming out of braids. Then I pre poo to assist with detangling. I usually use a conditoner/oil mix to prepoo...usually WEN and Hairveda Cocasta Oil.

I'm SLS free and never pre-poo. I prefer to DC on clean hair, after shampooing I wrap my hair in a towel for 5-10 mins to soak up excess water, then apply my DC (this way my products aren't diluted by all the water).

I changed my shampoo routine up a bit. Now I only use clarifying shampoo when I clarify instead of using it every week b/c it was making my hair too dry for my liking. When I don't have to clarify, I use the KBB Juicy Shampoo bar.

I don't do pre-poos on my unstraightened hair b/c I detangle w/ castor oil & I feel that it creates enough of a barrier to protect my hair from the harshness of shampooing.

On straightened hair, I prepoo w/ avocado oil.

I do sometimes. I usually use some oil like coconut (which is the only way I can use it) or wheat germ (cuz it wasn't working as a sealant)

If I clarify, I don't pre-poo

Hmm.. Good question. Well since I'm relaxed and have highlights. I condition my hair every chance I get. Lol so I deff prepoo. I use CON original formula shampoo. Btw I washed my hair the other week with an sls shampoo and boy oh boy did my hair feel stripped. Idk if I will ever use sls shampoo again. Prob only to clarify!

I pre-poo only b/c I detangle my hair BEFORE I wash ...

I mix my conditioners + oils on dry hair & then detangle ... I put on a plastic cap or sit under my steamer for a little bit ... then I proceed to wash w/ my sulfate-free shampoo ... then I do a quick conditioning rinse or co-wash w/ a light conditioner

I do this once a week

If I just want to co-wash during the week, I will NOT pre-poo or detangle

Good question OP, thanks for posting! I've just started using HairOne (Sally's version of Wen) so I think I may omit pre-pooing and DC with a little bit of heat from now on and see how that goes. save me some money...

Hmm.. Good question. Well since I'm relaxed and have highlights. I condition my hair every chance I get. Lol so I deff prepoo. I use CON original formula shampoo. Btw I washed my hair the other week with an sls shampoo and boy oh boy did my hair feel stripped. Idk if I will ever use sls shampoo again. Prob only to clarify!

And you know you dont even have to use sls to clarify...I like to use a poo with coco betaine (Organic Surge) to clarify and if that doesnt do the trick I luv bentonite...but I am sooo anti sls, makes my hair follicles feel so rough:nono:

Good question OP, thanks for posting! I've just started using HairOne (Sally's version of Wen) so I think I may omit pre-pooing and DC with a little bit of heat from now on and see how that goes. save me some money...

ooo I wanna try HairOne sooo bad, especially the olive oil condish everyone has been talkin about...the product groupie in me :grin: did u get the condish too? let me knx how you like it so I can go in 14 more days (staying away from the beauty supply until June, but that doesnt stop me from going to the indian market and wholefoods for hair stuff:look:)

Now that I'm using Wen, I do not pre-poo. There is no need to. I have stopped DCing for the moment, but I may pick that back up later.

I'm natural, SLS free, and once a week I pre-poo my ends overnight with coconut, vatika, or olive oil. I'm paranoid about my ends. Even though the poos I use (Jessicurl Gentle Lather or Target's Shea Moisture Raw Shea) work great and don't leave my hair overly dry, they are not co-washes. There is still a small degree of stripping involved so I always pre- poo my ends and I still follow up with a deep conditioner.

Yes, I still prepoo with coconut oil. Our hair swells and shrinks as water enters and leaves. This action can wear the hair over time. Coconut oil minimizes this.

I pre poo and deep condition once a week. I shampoo with Elasta QP Soy Oyl or NTM Creamy Lather Shampoo---both are SLS free. It may be overkill to prepoo and DC, but it's working so I'm not changing a thing!

I use the Giovanni 50:50 SLS-free and I don't pre poo....I did a good DC afterwards and detangled with no problems...The next time I WILL try pre-pooing and see if I get a better result.

Yes I still pre-poo. I use Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Pre-poo and its amazing :lick:. I highly recommend it. I use Giovanni Sulfate free line and i love it. I also DC after every wash. My hair is pretty fine so I try to condition my hair as much as possible to minimize the breakage that can occur from the washing process.

Back