Stylist said my hair was "weak"

C@ssandr@

formerly known as "keyawarren"
A week and a half before my relaxer I did a protein treatment that jacked up my hair (my hair was very dry at the time). I proceeded to do 3 dc"s during the week before relaxing. I used Pantene r&n for one, ao honeysuckle rose (evoo and honey) for the last two times. I noticed my hair was soft again but a tad bit fragile. What do I do to avoid getting fragile hair?
My hair is fabolous right now thanks to my great stylist. I just prefer maintainence on my own...

Miamori

In what sense was it fragile?

You mean breaking?

If so, was it breaking as in snapping/popping off easily, or you were finding tiny pieces of hair on your clothes or the floor?

Or, was it stretching or verrrrrry soft and weak in the sense that is just did not seem to have much structure?

C@ssandr@

It was snapping instead of stretching out. It didn't seem to lack structure. I did a wet strand test the day before I relaxed.

Miamori

Re the Aphogee - please be careful if you said a protein treatment is what messed you up in the first place.

Aphogee is no joke, and I know that when I went to far with protein, it did not take a week of too many moisturizing DCs for my hair to then have too much moisture and need more protein. Perhaps your hair does, but I really do doubt it.

It can take a while to rebound from a bad protein treatment, so please be careful and assess your hair to make SURE that is what you need before you go in that direction.

*Muffin*

I used to do moisturizing treatments weekly, and protein treatments bi-weekly. This helped me maintain good balance. Some people alternate between protein and moisture treatments. Now I do protein treatments only the week before my relaxer, and I do ayurvedic treatments (which have hair strengthening properties) bi-weekly.

C@ssandr@

Yeah. I didn't test it before doing the protein thing ( I used AO GPB) My hair was coming out of my head!
I know better now :(

C@ssandr@

Another stylist pointed out that i don't need as much protein. My hair has taken 2 relaxers in one day (bad stylist and I didn't know better). But my hair DID NOT FALL OUT. So it's obvious my strands have quite a resilience. I'm sort of a newbie. I've been trying to create a regimen. As my current stylist suggested, I think I'll use the Mizani moisturefusion line to compliment my relaxer and take it from there....

Miamori

But I was trying to recover from a protein treatment :(
This balancing thing is hard!

It was snapping instead of stretching out. It didn't seem to lack structure. I did a wet strand test the day before I relaxed.

:yep: Okay.

Well, my opinion is that you simply need to keep up with the moisture, and wait it out. It took my hair a bit, and I started to get discouraged, but I didn't even really have a setback in that my hair did not thin out, I didn't need a trim, etc. so don't get toooo worked up over it, and if it takes a while, don't get upset. :bighug:

Once your hair seems ok, my advice is to maintain your hair's balance by using products that are already balanced. So, like a product with a lot of moisturizing ingredients, that maybe contains no protein other than Silk Amino Acid. (ETA: Many of mine contain 2, or something different. It depends on the product.)

For me, this has made everything very auto-pilot like, and takes a lot of stress out of the process of growing, and my hair has been doing much better this way.

When I feel that I need extra balance, I normally take the less is better route until I feel like it is all there.

I hope this all helps you figure out a solution. :)

Last edited:

firecracker

You have to have the right amount of moisture & protein so your hair won't dry out. Protein is not everyones friend. I prefer Humectress under the dryer for 20 mins or 2+1 with foil & heat especially if your hair is trying to recover. Protein drys my hair out and makes it feel like dry wheat. I would probably leave that to a stylist.

Last edited:

Soliel185

I mix a little of each in my DC treatments - and go heavier on the one that I think I need most.

For ex - I will use a cholesterol like Lustrasilk, Queen Helene as my base and then add some silk amino acid, coconut milk, jheri redding 100% protein, Aphogee 2 minute or generic joico k-pak for protein. For moisture I might add honey, EVOO, glycerine, ORS replenishing con (kind of a combo also) avocado or any other moisturizing con I have in the cabinet.

If I need more moisture or more protein I'll add a little more from that list. I find that if I try to do a treatment that's all one or the other it doesn't end well. :ohwell:

sunshinelady

Right now, you need a mild protein based on what you've said. Like I said Apoghee 2 min. Then you go back to a real moisturizing conditioner with no protein and keep alternating.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Pantene isn't the best choice for your next treatment after a protein treatment. Although the R&N Mask is a decent product, it doesn't really give *true* moisture.

The Aubrey HSR was a good choice it seems, but the Amodimethicone from the Pantene may have kept the Aubrey HSR from working at its best.