Should I listen to my stylist?

these are probably the same people who think if you stop getting relaxers, all your hair will fall out.

i have no idea why you would have even considered listening to that mess she told you if you were at the end of a 6 month stretch. obviously you know (knew?) in your gut that she was making that up.

LOL!:lachen:

Pre-LHCF I used to relax every 6 weeks faithfully. My hair became limp, over processed and damaged like crazy. I'm still nursing my hair back to health and slowly trimming away all of the thin ends. But now I can say that stretching my relaxers to 12-14 weeks has helped alot..my hair is thicker and everyone compliments me on the length I've been retaining and the fullness. I have learned alot on this site and have gotten rid of all of the nonsense myths that I acquired about hair growing up. Your stylist probably has other motives for telling you to relax every 6 weeks. LISTEN TO YOUR HAIR! I'm listening to mine and its thanking me every single day :yep:

I wouldn't listen. I go to a friend of mine, that JUST got her license, for a trim. I let her know that I go 12 weeks between relaxers. The other stylist looked at me with big eyes. My friend said 'No girl, you're supposed to relax every 6 weeks and comb the relaxer all the way through.' Umm, just dust my ends. I know what I want/need for MY hair. Just know that I won't be trusting anyone with my hair. If I ever go to another stylist, I'll be asking about their relaxing process. Everyone doesn't have your best 'hair' as part of their interest.

this is how we black women end up bald.

Anywho OP, I used to relax every 12 weeks sometimes more. I was one who wouldnt see NG until week 4 and that would be pushing it. I think it doesn;t do you any good to throw relaxer on as soon as you see NG because you can end up overlaping on already processed hair. I dont see the need to slap it on every 6 weeks....

I also think some of it is tactics to get you in to get your money. The longer you waitn between relaxers the longer they have to wait to get paid... Just saying :look:

IMHO - I would not listen to the stylists to relax every 6 weeks-. You have to really watch your hair's reactions to the stretch. When I stretch I can go between 12-16 weeks easy- The hard part for me is 6 months b/c then my hair is like are you going natural or what? So this is the time I see the most damaged done. I just watch my hair's likes and dislikes. I use to go every 4-6 weeks 8-10 weeks- (I only did these for a very short time). In all truth to this matter it just depends on the person some people just can't go no longer than a certain amount of weeks for whatever reason.

I wouldn't do it:nono: ...There's a much higher risk of you overlapping and thinning out your hair in the long run. Not everyone is a long-term stretcher (I know I'm not) but I think 6 weeks is pushing it..

ITA with this post, and I just want to add that a good DT a little more often during stretching periods will go a long way in maintaining your length and strength. Henna or aphogee even!

I would not put a relaxer in my hair that often. Maybe a coconut dt, followed up by some QB heavy cream/detangler. Or a hot oil treatment. Or wet styling.

Stretching, personally for me, has saved my hair. I'm finally starting to see thickness, and it's about time. :look: I can never go back to relaxing every 8 weeks. :nono:

If I were to relax again, I would try to stretch out my touch-ups for as long as possible to avoid overprocessing. :yep:

Hmm. I noticed this when I was relaxed. I always thought it was because the relaxer straightens the hair that lies just beneath the scalp. After that straightened hair reaches the surface, the curlies follow. Just my opinion, too. :yep:

Hmmmmmm.....very good point. I never thought of that :look:

Disclaimer: I came in here screaming NOOOOOOO! in my head.

honeybuni84 said what I was thinking... more visits more money, but being that you guys are friends it's possible she does not charge you :rolleyes:

I've had bad experiences with "stylists" from chopping off way too much hair, to over processing, to making off color comments about the length and curliness if my texlaxed ends.

Just wanted you to know where I was comming from... that being said... overlapping/overprocessing is a sure fire way to damage hair and cut down on length retention and fullness.

Listen to your hair and not your stylist,... if you want long healthy hair JMHO.

P.S I'm sure there are some good stylists out there so if you find one hold on for dear life... as for me I'm still searching.:spinning:

No way. I would not listen to her. Do what your hair tells you. If your hair was starting to break off at 6 months then do a 5 month stretch and see how that works then work your way down until you find what's right for you and your hair. She's trying to get those dollars! Sorry, I know that is your friend.

When I got relaxers I would go once or twice a year for touch-ups without any problems. But, I realize not everyone's hair is the same.

When I listen to the stories about bad advice from stylist, it makes me love my stylist even more!

When I first joined this board, I was relaxing every 6 weeks. I stetched it to 8, then 10, and now, I'm shooting for 12. My stylist has been totally supportive every step of the way,and actually encourages relaxing less often.

When I listen to the stories about bad advice from stylist, it makes me love my stylist even more!

When I first joined this board, I was relaxing every 6 weeks. I stetched it to 8, then 10, and now, I'm shooting for 12. My stylist has been totally supportive every step of the way,and actually encourages relaxing less often.

Mine too. She says go 8-10 weeks. I'm doing 10 weeks this time and maybe 11 next time depending on how my hairs feels and "acts" through this stretch. I don't think it makes sense to strech if there is breakage, but you seem to have that under control.

I think the question here should be where you can find a new stylist :look: anyone pushing relaxer's every 6 weeks doesnt practice healthy hair care.

Last edited:
this is how we black women end up bald.

Anywho OP, I used to relax every 12 weeks sometimes more. I was one who wouldnt see NG until week 4 and that would be pushing it. I think it doesn;t do you any good to throw relaxer on as soon as you see NG because you can end up overlaping on already processed hair. I dont see the need to slap it on every 6 weeks....

I also think some of it is tactics to get you in to get your money. The longer you waitn between relaxers the longer they have to wait to get paid... Just saying :look:

I think this can be a factor.

The woman that does my hair is a very good friend of mine.
She is a professional hair stylist and she told me that I should be relaxing my hair every 6 weeks.. or whenever I see new growth.

I was stretched to 6 months when she relaxed my hair yesterday

I don't want my hair to overprocess and break off.
She said that my hair was normal-fine

My hair was starting to break off before the relaxer this past week.
Maybe I should only stretch to 3-4 months next time?
Or should I listen to her and do it every 6 weeks

You probably can stretch for 6 months you just need to find out what method works for you. I am now finishing up a 4 month stretch. I usually only do 3 but I decided to wait. Perhaps you just need to work your way up to 6 months. The biggest keys are avoid manipulation and increase moisture to the strands.

Back