STRETCHING OR ALL NATURAL?

qns1980

Ladies I need help!!! I have been thinking of transition out of my relaxer to get my hair to grow out. I am currently 10 weeks post, but I am getting weak and I am wanting to have it relaxed. My question is do you ladies think its better to go natural, or just stretch my relaxer, i usually relax ever 8weeks.
I ask this because I am currently getting it pressed every two weeks and I'm wondering if I am doing more damage to my hair with using direct heat trying to constantly get it straight.

I hope this makes sense, I am confusing myself!:spinning

Last edited:
So you are relaxed but you press your hair every 2 weeks to keep it straight? Are you only pressing the roots? This sounds very damaging IMO. I'm sure others will chime in...

that's what I was thinking, I started seeing a new stylist last month and he recommended me going natural for more growth, but he pressed my hair with a blow dryer, straightening comb and then used the marcel. I only went to him twice, but I could smell the heat in my hair afterwards. I haven't been back because all this heat on my hair, goes against all of our hair principles!!! I do like the straight look, but if its pressed every two weeks, how can it be healthier>

Have you given rollersetting a try? I do it when I'm stretching and it keeps the NG fairly straight and it's not nearly as damaging as all that pressing.

I'm not understanding why a stylist would do all of that to relaxed hair.

I usually do rollersets, but i wondered if he even knew how!! lol Needless to say i will not be going back to him. I am going to try another stylist that has a lot of the same views we share.

thanks ladies

I would suggest relaxing and then wet wrapping or rollersetting. When I was relaxed and wanted to get away from the hat I just wet wrapped it. Still fairly straight, with body and swaaaaang. Whatever you do, please DO NOT blow dry, hot comb and then marcel your hair!!

Im relaxed now but, when i last transitioned and when stretch i do bantu knot, braid, and twist outs. Mainly because my ng is so curly that i would have pass the flat iron too many times (Dont want destroy your healthy ng:yep:). Plus, from what ive heard not fighting your texture (i.e. curly styles)when your stretching prevents breakage. I know they get tireing after a while, so invest in a bone straight wig/ half wig to give you so versatility during a strecth...... good luck!
Sorry so long HTH

Last edited:
Their are plenty of ladies here and IRL that are natural but always wear their hair straight. I think natural hair can withstand more heat.

Back