Straight hair in summer??

honestly, you can't keep natural heat-straightned type 3 & 4 hair from reverting in hot, humid summer months. a few produts may help some like sabino moisture block, but that type of hair will do what it do.

I try to save my straightening days for the winter. My hair will just puff back up in all the heat. :nono:

Summer is the perfect time for bunning. :grin:

Girl its hard, like the ladies say, I have been doing a few rollersets and wraps this summer but they don't last too long...You can use a Humid spray like Mizani, but I think that stuff have alcohol in it, not sure.

Protective styles work great in summer...buns,sew ins,phony ponys,etc

:yep:

I have officially given up on that. I did manage to get and keep straight hair on my last try, (see June 2010 pic below) but then I also had lots of breakage. And I do NOT get breakage anymore.

I'm working on pretty french braids with pretty hair accessories.

I believe so....I think it is rough....Oh Lady raider you were in the humidity spray thread...I have been sticking to protective styles too...sew ins..I might try braids. I hope black master piece will reply becuase she says she presses in the summer

Yea i quit with the summer straightening. It just never works out like i think it will and my hair reverts so i do sew-ins in the summer among other things but whateva! ill stick to straight hair for the winter months

I've been wearing twists... save the money and hassle of straightening because it WILL revert within a few days. And if it doesn't revert that may be a problem you didn't intend to happen. :blush:

I agree with what the other ladies have said. I've given up on trying to straighten my hair in the summer. I'm currently wearing braids and love it. Save your hair and just straighten it when Summer is ova :)

It's not worth it.
Enjoy your summer growth spurt and reward yourself with a fab flat-iron job in the colder months.

I've been wearing my hair straight. I haven't done anything special. I've been inside most of the time. I don't come in direct contact with the heat or humidity often. I wear my hair in buns, ponytails, and half up-half down hairstyles. I have straightened my hair after the first initial straightening but I'm not afraid of the heat.

I don't fight with humidity or heat b/c they always win. I just keep my hair braided underneath and put my half wig on and KIM. I'm planning to flatiron my hair in the late fall or winter when the heat & humidity drops.

I'd like to know too. I'm always in between Miami & Cayman Islands so it's hot all year round basically. Although my hair reverts, I still wear it straight and keep it in a bun because it's less manipulation for me...

Not worth the hassle for me. Although I have straightened twice this summer but I did so because I had interviews. By the end of the day (actually usually before) my hair started puffing up. To me having straight hair in the summer is kind of fighting AGAINST the weather. I doubt there is a product eventing that will keep hair from reverting in the summer.

I've straightened during the summer in the past. My hair always ended up in a bun anyway from being too "fluffy". :wallbash: What a waste. Now, I don't really bother to flat iron from June-August.

unless the humidity is crazy my hair usually stays straight for whatever reason, i dont think i sweat a lot from my scalp...esp when its first done. after a week or so it may revert to puffy/ straight but that doesnt bother me. When it does that, I do a braided pony tail at night so its wavy in the am. So besides that, Ive been able to sucessfully wear straight styles. I do it solely to avoid ssk's :look:

I am planning on straightening my hair tomorrow, mainly just to check the length and do a trim. I probably won't wear it down though when I go out, just put it into a neat bun, or maybe into my half wig if I feel like it.

I use Dax curling wax, read one of my posts about it. The trick is to use a little and a heat protectant. My hair never reverted untill wash day.

I'd like to know too. I'm always in between Miami & Cayman Islands so it's hot all year round basically. Although my hair reverts, I still wear it straight and keep it in a bun because it's less manipulation for me...

Thanks for posting this is a great tip! ..Its a little discouraging to hear.."just straighten in the winter"..with hats, scarves, and hoods..ur hair is in hiding:sad:..u kinda wanna show what ur working with in the summer from HAIR to toe:rolleyes:

Thats how I feel...Honestly that is what I feel summer is when everyone can see you. Thats is the one thing I would miss about relaxers having st8 hair in summer...Other than that Just for me just aint for me lol

I have straightened my hair in the summer. I usually try to do it when it's not too humid out. I don't sweat a lot and I don't really work out so it's not really a problem for me.

I rollerset and leave it in a ponytail, but even then it will somewhat revert. If I leave my hair out I will most likely have a big poof by the end of the day.

If it's humid just forget about it. I know your frustration but it's seriously not worth it when its hot and humid. Have you tried styles like braid outs? Waves and curls are better in the summer because curly/kinky hair types like to revert in all the sweat and moisture in the air so it won't be so disastrous if you hair is already wavy/curly/kinky....

Its never as straight as in the winter but if that doesnt bother you just go for it. I always say the key is to check the weather forecast, see what the humidity index is before you spend all that time doing your hair.

I have straightened twice this summer, and so far both times it has only lasted a few days as opposed to the usual 2 weeks. That said, depending how fast your hair reverts, you may still find it worth it to do once in a while.

last year at this time i was wearing rollersets. my hair didn't puff though because i was only 4/5 months post relaxer. also, i used this great serum from Regis Design Line that really kept my hair looking nice. ♥

Back