Steamers and relaxed heads

JJamiah

I have a few questions

with the Steamer, I have relaxed hair, and I blow dry does that take away the moisture effect of it?

when your hair is long do you tousle it up under the steamer?

can I use a semi permenant under it?

any relaxed ladies who used it and have a hooded dryer can you tell me was it a big difference?

Answers in bold....

I have a few questions

with the Steamer, I have relaxed hair, and I blow dry does that take away the moisture effect of it?

No a steamer will become your best friend. You will wonder how you lived without one. Your detangling will become a breeze and your hair like butter. I am not lying to you - I have a treatment every 2 weeks. Providing that you did the steam treatment properly and don't over-dry your hair your hair will be great.

Imagine the way you DC under a heating cap or hood dryer. Same principle but your hair is infused with steam and moisture.

Yes but you may need to adjust the time as it may accelerate processing.

any relaxed ladies who used it and have a hooded dryer can you tell me was it a big difference?

HUGE. A steamer produces steam. A dryer dries. I think you should find a local hair dresser and have a treatment to see for your self or find a friend who has one and try it out. You will never look back.

Last edited:
Thanks stella

I have no problems at all detangling my hair is like butter , my hair use to be tangly when I was younger and I guess that is also one of reasons I couldn't stand my hair long is because I am tender head. :)

But now no detangling problems at all. :nono:

I wanted to clarify, Like you get under the steamer and do the treatment does Blow Drying with the hand dryer afterwards void the steam treatment.

That is great about the color, i think my color needs to go deeper. LOL

Thanks stella

I have no problems at all detangling my hair is like butter , my hair use to be tangly when I was younger and I guess that is also one of reasons I couldn't stand my hair long is because I am tender head. :)

But now no detangling problems at all. :nono:

I wanted to clarify, Like you get under the steamer and do the treatment does Blow Drying with the hand dryer afterwards void the steam treatment.

That is great about the color, i think my color needs to go deeper. LOL

I'm not relaxed, but I LOVE steaming so I thought I'd answer the bolded... no it doesn't void the hydration you get from the steamer. I steam my hair with my DC before I use direct heat. It actually makes my hair stay straight longer. Basically after I steam/hydrate, I rinse my conditioner with cool water to seal the cuticles and then I use whatever heat protectant and go on with the heating tools.

This thread going to make me act like this :chocbunny:

LOL, I am already like tha thanks so MUCH ladies you totally answered my questions. I am excited, I am like that too 20something, LOL, I am like HMMM I could buy it myself for the price it cost the same as my hooded dryer almost. But then I am on a new budget of $1 a day no more hair products so I have to have will power, one month SEEMS SO FAR AWAY, you know what I might swap my bday gift for my Valentines gift. :) I just might.

I have a few questions

with the Steamer, I have relaxed hair, and I blow dry does that take away the moisture effect of it? No, blow drying does not take away the moisture.

when your hair is long do you tousle it up under the steamer? I put my hair up in a plastic claw clip.

can I use a semi permenant under it? I've never tried this, however, I will soon as I just purchased a semi permenant from Sally's.

any relaxed ladies who used it and have a hooded dryer can you tell me was it a big difference? My hair is softer, detangling is much easier and my hair seems to retain moisture a little longer.

Has anyone used a steamer with a henna treatment? I plan on buying my steamer when my husband goes out of town in 2 weeks. I need to meet the UPS guy at the door, I don't want any trouble.

Has anyone used a steamer with a henna treatment? I plan on buying my steamer when my husband goes out of town in 2 weeks. I need to meet the UPS guy at the door, I don't want any trouble.

LOL!! :lachen:

I use it for my Henna/Indigo treatments. I apply the mix to my hair in four sections, pin them up and steam for 2 hours without a plastic cap.

The results are VERY nice. :yep:

:yahoo: Temporarily hijacking this thread to say I ordered my steamer last night. I'm SO excited!!! :goodpost:

I've only used mine twice with Sitrinillah. I haven't seen anything too spectacular yet. The ladies who get amazing results, what DC are you using? Also, how long do you steam for? I've tried it once for 30 minutes and once for an hour. Last question is, how long did it take for you to notice your great results? I like it and I'm going to continue to use it, I just wish I was in love with it, I'll try using a different DC mixture or something this wash day.

I'm relaxed and I love love love my steamer, I use it once a week to every other week depending on the amount of time I have. I use it to pre-poo with an oil and then to deep condition as well and my hair (even that area of someone else's hair aka my nape) is buttery soft. I don't know how I lived without it. LOVE MY STEAMER

I use Burt's Bees Avocado Butter to pre-poo or Coconut oil to pre-poo with the steamer

For conditioner I use so many different ones it's crazy but my faves are CON in the tub, Redken Deep Fuel (protein based), Neil George, and more but I stay under for about 30-45 minutes

I use Burt's Bees Avocado Butter to pre-poo or Coconut oil to pre-poo with the steamer

For conditioner I use so many different ones it's crazy but my faves are CON in the tub, Redken Deep Fuel (protein based), Neil George, and more but I stay under for about 30-45 minutes
I'm going to try the EVCO pre-poo today.

I have a few questions

No, because a steamer is such an excellent way to infuse moisture into the hair I can still easily retain moisture if I choose to blow dry. I don't really use blow dryers but when I do my hair still beautifully moisturised.

I just pin my hair up loosely with a hair pin.

Yes ma'am, steamers were initially designed to be used for colour applications. :yep: I can't wait until I colour my hair in the summer

One of the biggest differences I found was the detangling. It has been widely reported on here, but it is true, the steam really does help to get those tangles to drop right out. It's a stretchers dream!

Moisture retention - I could go without moisturising for days if I wanted to (I don't) I couldn't really do this using my hood dryer.

I'm finding as I go further into my HHJ my hair is becoming more easier to deal with, the steam coupled with rollersetting leaves my hair very smooth and manageable. I actually don't need to manipulate it too much at all.

Combined with oils (I like peppermint) steam is excellent for invigorating scalp circulation. That tingling feel is gorgeous under the steamer.

I'm relaxed and I love love love my steamer, I use it once a week to every other week depending on the amount of time I have. I use it to pre-poo with an oil and then to deep condition as well and my hair (even that area of someone else's hair aka my nape) is buttery soft. I don't know how I lived without it. LOVE MY STEAMER
This is EXACTLY how I use the steamer. I pre-poo in either a Phyto pre-poo or a mix of WGO/Vatika/Walnut Oil.

Then I steam in my DC. My hair loves this!

No, because a steamer is such an excellent way to infuse moisture into the hair I can still easily retain moisture if I choose to blow dry. I don't really use blow dryers but when I do my hair still beautifully moisturised.

I just pin my hair up loosely with a hair pin.

Yes ma'am, steamers were initially designed to be used for colour applications. :yep: I can't wait until I colour my hair in the summer

One of the biggest differences I found was the detangling. It has been widely reported on here, but it is true, the steam really does help to get those tangles to drop right out. It's a stretchers dream!

Moisture retention - I could go without moisturising for days if I wanted to (I don't) I couldn't really do this using my hood dryer.

I'm finding as I go further into my HHJ my hair is becoming more easier to deal with, the steam coupled with rollersetting leaves my hair very smooth and manageable. I actually don't need to manipulate it too much at all.

Combined with oils (I like peppermint) steam is excellent for invigorating scalp circulation. That tingling feel is gorgeous under the steamer.

Thanks Cream Tee, SInce I have posted this I have bought my own and I do like it alot, My hair feels very moisturized. I put in a protein and moisture treatment and my hair felt very strong.

I find that I need to do a balancing treatment otherwise I get an abundance of moisture and my hair starts to feel overly moisturized since I add moisture to it. :)

Ladies this was a great purchase.

Hello ladies you know whenever I am in a bind I have to come to you for hair advice, because you are the only ones that truly understand this side of me; LOL. I have wanted to buy a hair steamer and Pibbs dryer to add to my hair regimen; (eventually I guess I will add both). However, I recently found the Pibbs on sale for a good price.

I am debating if I should get the Pibbs now and get the steamer later or should I just forgo the Pibbs, just get the steamer, and be done with it. TIA

Hello ladies you know whenever I am in a bind I have to come to you for hair advice, because you are the only ones that truly understand this side of me; LOL. I have wanted to buy a hair steamer and Pibbs dryer to add to my hair regimen; (eventually I guess I will add both). However, I recently found the Pibbs on sale for a good price.

I am debating if I should get the Pibbs now and get the steamer later or should I just forgo the Pibbs, just get the steamer, and be done with it. TIA

This is just my opinion forgo the Pibbs, I found that it dried my hair out. Its in storage has been there going on 1 1/2 year now. I liked the fact my hair was dry very quickly but soon noticed my hair was getting drier and drier and the only difference in what I was doing to my hair was the Pibbs. But my steamer I love with a passion and I will never be without. If the one I have breaks down, I will buy another one in a heartbeat.

Now I do have fine hair so my hair dries fairly quickly so the high power of the Pibbs is really too much for me but only you know your hair needs

This is just my opinion forgo the Pibbs, I found that it dried my hair out. Its in storage has been there going on 1 1/2 year now. I liked the fact my hair was dry very quickly but soon noticed my hair was getting drier and drier and the only difference in what I was doing to my hair was the Pibbs. But my steamer I love with a passion and I will never be without. If the one I have breaks down, I will buy another one in a heartbeat.

Now I do have fine hair so my hair dries fairly quickly so the high power of the Pibbs is really too much for me but only you know your hair needs

Thanks for the reponse Lissa0821, I am definitely going to purchase a steamer now I just have to decide which model to get.

I wished I lived near you so that I could take your Pibbs off your hands, :grin:

I'd get a steamer and a different brand Hair Hooded Dryer. I have a Ion Hot Tools purple hooded portable dryer and I love it. I also have a steamer and I agree with the other poster who says if it dies I'd buy another in a heartbeat. :)

Good lawd, ya'll are really making me want to go to the hairdresser this wknd to use their steamer. I really have no where in my small apt to keep one. However, if I had a bigger place and had space, I'd def make the investment into getting one.

Back