Staying In My "hair Lane"

Now that I think about it; I made those same mistakes when I was newly natural.
You're excited about your plans for your hair, so you wanna tell anybody.

I was 3 years a loose natural and was getting ready to have Sisterlocks installed and I was sitting with my 2 White coworkers and 1 one of the husbands to one of them and told them about my plans to lock my hair (I thought it was okay to talk hair with them because it was a salon)
The husband says "Oh, now we can call you rat girl"........I guess rat tails were a connection in his mind.

My coworkers knew better and smacked their lips and rolled their eyes at him, but still.....:angry2:

It caught me off guard and the couple was old enough to be my parents, so I said nothing. That was 8 years back, couldn't have been today, promise.
I wish it WAS today so you could have put him in his place. It used to be pig tails that they called our hair... Rat tail was pure racist...

I wish it WAS today so you could have put him in his place. It used to be pig tails that they called our hair... Rat tail was pure racist...

Here in the UK a ponytail is 1, pigtails are 2 (usually one either side of the head and worn by kids) and rat tails are ONLY used to describe thin, stringy white hair, be it male or female. Ratty hair is another description of stringy white hair. Real thin, real stringy and actually an insult to rats!

Here in the UK a ponytail is 1, pigtails are 2 (usually one either side of the head and worn by kids) and rat tails are ONLY used to describe thin, stringy white hair, be it male or female. Ratty hair is another description of stringy white hair. Real thin, real stringy and actually an insult to rats!
I see... Thanks for that update.

That's how I always understood it to be in the US as well.

They're always competing with us - Always. Tell them that you're thinking about getting a short bob cut like (insert a white actress with short hair) for the summer and see what they do. Swing your bob wig left and right and say in a low voice - short hair don't care. LOL

Some people are just so competitive for no good reason. They would one up you on baby making if they could. It's crazy......

Sometime last year, a co worker asked about my hair. I told her I wear wigs and weaves to protect my hair because I want WL hair. A few other co workers were listening as well. I got a few questions and statements regarding their ignorance regarding 3c-4c hair types, "Black hair just doesn't grow", "Isn't it easier to just get a perm?", I can tell some wanted to get deep but I gave them that don't end up in HR look.

Ever since then EVERYBODY (white) in my office has stopped getting haircuts, trims, etc and has let their hair grow to never before lengths. They also make sure I see their lengths by doing the white girl swing and/or make remarks about their WL ends, how heavy long hair is, etc. Even the older women who complained about how hot the hair made them (menopause) now have hair on their backs. This never went on before. Hair was a non topic until I made that statement.

Do you think there is an unspoken competition going on? Why can't they let me great?

Back