STAPLE PRODUCTS

VALLEYGIRL

I dont know if this has been discussed already on this board. Forgive me and point me in the right direction if it has.

What is the longest time you have used a product/supplement for?

How long do you use it before you switch?

Why do you switch? It stopped working? Discontinued? You heard about or saw something better?

A few of my staple products have been discontinued but that only counts for maybe 1/8 of the stuff in those boxes.

The only product I have used continously over the last 4-5 years has been Pantene conditioner as a leave in. (The Smooth and Sleek used to be called Dry Damaged Hair Conditioner) I have tried other stuff for a brief moment but I always go back to this.

Gels I have switched up several times especially when trying the CG routine but stick with VO5 or Vital Care.

My curl activator has been discontinued so I stocked up but have been looking for a replacement for when my last 4 jars are done.

Rinse out Conditioners I pretty much have stuck with Suave through the years. I started off with Strawberry, then Coconut and now I use the Moisturising. It is cheap and I go through a lot of conditioner. Almost a bottle every week.

Deep conditioners I just got into this past year b/c I have been straightening my hair more than before and I need to replenish and repair it. I have stuck with GPB and Ion Moisturising from Sally's.

Vitamins - I pretty much just take the Horsetail Grass (when I remember). Been takingthis for the last 4-5 years as well. I tried others like EPO and Ester C and got weird side effects.

Shampoo - I dont even have the time to get into all that I have tried....VO5, Shaikai, Suave, California Baby, Ouidad, Jason Naturals, the list goes on and on... and I have no valid reason for switching up like I do.

Styling when straight is a whole different animal and I think that contributed to the bulk of my products since I wear my hair curly most of the time. I am always looking for something to give it shine, remove frizz, let it lay properly, straighten without damaging ...you know that miracle product...OK now I am babbling...

anyone else?

i wish i had staple products maybe i could save myself some money. pills i take consistent for a couple of months then stop, same with products. i dont have a real regime or routine so i guess i am not really good at answering this question.
crazy.gif
crazy.gif
God bless you all.

Unless a supplement makes me physically sick, I'll take it until I run out. And unless a hair product is a total disaster--like my Redken Heavy Cream=Super Glue experience
mad.gif
--I'll give it two or three tries to work it's magic.

I'm pretty satisfied with my shampoos and my ORS Lock & Twist Gel. Please God, don't let ORS T&L get discont'd!!
cry3.gif
But I'm a sucker for good conditioner review! The second I read about a conditioner that moisturizes, strengthens, detangles and smells good, I'm doing a 'net search on it!
user.gif

crazy.gif

I like trying new hair oils, too. The newest one that is calling my name is Vatika...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
VALLEYGIRL said:
I dont know if this has been discussed already on this board. Forgive me and point me in the right direction if it has.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">Supplements </font> I usually go for 3-4 months and then take a break of about a week and then go back on again. This is for no other reason than sometimes my schedule gets disrupted and I don't set out my vitamins the night before or something, or I don't have time to "eat" (which I know sounds strange) a good meal and I don't want to take my vitamins on a partially empty stomach.

<font color="brown">Topicals</font> For oils, I usually try to use them or test them out for 1 month. Sometimes with things like vitamin E massages I get lazy or forget and go to bed and then before I know it, it's been weeks.

When I used Shampoo, I'd ALWAYS buy a new shampoo. I think I was addicted to a new smell, or somthing that was "REALLY" going to soften my hair like the bottle promised.

Now with Conditioners, I use it till it's gone and I've pretty much stayed with the same thing now.

I don't think I answered everything so I'm gonna get some cereal and come back to answer more
grin.gif

(back from cereal break the next day
laugh.gif
)

My current staples are and have been for the last 8 months:

1. Suave Clarifying Conditioner

2. Lange Deep Conditioner

3. World's of Curls spray mixed with Infusium (daily)

4. World's of Curls Gel (every other day)

so far my hair is really happy with these. I do change up my "oil blends" for my scalp occasionally but since I found what works, even though I want to try new products, I haven't purchased anything new in......about 8 months. I only replenish what I've run out of. Or if I run out of a deep conditioner I might pick up a NEW one that I have not tried. But no more running for this product and that product. So hopefully all my stuff continues to work for me.

Well there was a point where vitamins were a must, I bought biotin, vitamin C, EPO, Flaxseed, cysteine,silica, MSM and a whole bunch of other stuff, I was taking them reguarly for a good feW months but then I stopped cause I began to see no need in them. And my hair results are the same without it and Im thinking even better. I feel so good that I am not dependent on vitamins. So now they are are just stuck in my cabinet.

I resurected Wildgrowth oil from my cabinet and Im in love with it. Right now thats the only product that is a staple of mine. When I first tried it months ago I really did not like it, but I was only applying it to my scalp, But now I only apply it on my hair and the results are so soft and moisturized. And I no longer oil my scalp, oiling my scalp casued it to be dry and flaky.

...........But Im still searching for the right shampoo and conditioner.

Generally my wanting to try another product is based on raves, particularly from girls with similar hair type to me who's previous recs. that I tried worked.

I do have 'core' staples though that I gravitate back to and I consider my staples:

Lanza Protein Plus shampoo. Used this for years now.

Lanza Deep Cleansing Shampoo. Its been over a year of using this consistently once a month-ish.

Motions Moisture Plus. A deep moisturizing conditioner that I love.

Keracare Silken Seal. Again, had and used it for years. I try other serums but come back to this one again and again. I'm on my 3rd bottle maybe which is something considering how concentrated it is.

Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo. I use this occasionally when I want a 'mini break' from the Lanza PP shampoo.

Revlon Porosity Control. It detangles in seconds (like Elucence) and I just like it alot. Been using this on and off for years too
smile.gif

These are my must haves. Everything else is gravy
laugh.gif

Here is the basis of what I consistently use. These products are the foundation in which I build everything else around:

Supplements: Msm, biotin, protein, ala, b-complex, I will stock upo like it's going out of style for these supplements!

HairProducts: CON, AO GPB, Olive oil, Rosemary oil, Black Currant Oil. I've been a long time lover of these products. Currently I'm loving henna too.

My main staple of products revolve around supplements. I spend more on supplements than I do shoes! My list is:

b-complex
Biotin
Msm
Protein
Silica
Multi

That's all I can honestly say I've been consistent with since day one of learning how to take better care of myself.

I've been using Creme of Nature for over 18 years now.

Products--almost 100% not consistent, even before finding the hair boards. The only products I remember using as far back as 8 yrs ago would be VO5 hot oil, St. Ives products, cheapo grease (used sparingly back then, not at all now), and cheapo gel. Nowadays, I change up probably every couple months. What makes me mad the most is my hair was longer/thicker years ago, before I supposedly knew what I was doing with it, and before going to salons. Now, with the help of professionals, I had to start again
mad.gif

Supplements--I used to (and still) take a b-complex, pantothenic acid, evening primose, vitamin-c, mineral supplement, golden seal, b-6, silica..many others. It wasn't till I found the internet hair boards that I started to incorporate biotin, msm, and flax seed oil. I've never had a vitamin 'regime', I always take something more as I feel like it or as needed (some daily, some when health conditions warrant).

I can't really justify switching up so much, except for being a product &amp; supplement junkie. Its fun to me; I'd rather spend money on that stuff, then on something like a purse or earrings.

Revlon Porosity Control. It detangles in seconds (like Elucence) and I just like it alot. Been using this on and off for years too
smile.gif

These are my must haves. Everything else is gravy
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had my eye on revlon porosity for almost a year but I never knew what exactly it was supposed to do. I heard some people use it to gain strength in their hair or something like that. its been almost a year since i really heard anyone say anything about this product so i cannot remember what peeked my interest. what is this good for?? God bless you all.

brownrelaxedhair said:
Keracare Silken Seal. Again, had and used it for years. I try other serums but come back to this one again and again. I'm on my 3rd bottle maybe which is something considering how concentrated it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
Girl, you're going to make me sink and give in.
drowning.gif
Somebody help me. BTW, do you use this product on your hair when it's wet AND when it's dry?

I've used CON for the past year now.. and I most likely will stick with this poo for years to come.

Condits.. forget it! This is the fun part of wash day.. i love switching up my condits.. but i did use ORS mayo for about 3 months straight and i loved it. I tried it again and it didn't seem to work as well, so now its rotting onmy shelf.

Leave in... i liked joico integrity, but motions is cheaper and has better ingredients in my opinion.. I dont see myself switching anytime soon.

WGO.. i've been using this for about 3 years now and i'm still in love...

Everything else i'll buy and use it up and never repurchase

Hi Azul,

I started using P. Control after a couple of recs from hairdressers in London years ago so I thought heck may as well try it. It says that it moisturizes, detangles and controls hair's porosity. Relaxed hair tends to be porous and you want the strands to instead become closed and able to receive and RETAIN moisture. This helps do that I think. Its a very runny, thin consistency, like body lotion. I usually mix it with something else but have recently used it alone. It just detangles well and leaves the hair nicely moisturized. Never dry. I like it alot.

Try picking up a sample sachet or two from Ricky's or a beauty supplies maybe?

For me it would be Lottabody Creme for Wrapping and setting...every time I try something else I come back to this.

My homemade shea butter pomade...it really moisturizes, I also melt it down and add it to other products.

Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner is still a keeper, however the shampoo has lost it's 'touch' for me...

KMS Flat out is a keeper for me also...unless the henna does what I'm trying to do...eliminate frizz...

I've been using Creme of Nature since I could wash my own hair and my mom was using it on me even before that.

Other than that it's all changed!
laugh.gif

I finally have some staple products....1. Creme of Nature Shampoo 2. Motions Oil Moisturizer 3. Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner 4.Pantene Leave in detangler 5. and my African Angel Vitamin E oil
grin.gif

i will experiment occasionally, but i don't switch products that often. i've recently added a couple to my regulars:

Shampoo:
KeraCare Detangling (used 2+ years)
Nizoral Prescription-Strength (used 3+ years)
Elasta QP Bodifying (used 1 month)

Conditioner:
KeraCare Humecto (used 2+ years)
Aubrey GPB (used 2+ years)

Moisturizer:
World of Curls gel (used 2+ years)
S-Curl No Drip spray (used 2+ years)
Elasta QP Recovery (used 1 month)

adrienne

Nizoral 2% prescription strength is a must staple used for
6 years and still going strong.
Vitale moisturizing shampoo.
Lanza Protein Plus shampoo.
Evoo
Vitamins green source and B5.

[ QUOTE ]
VALLEYGIRL said:

How long do you use it before you switch?

Why do you switch? It stopped working? Discontinued? You heard about or saw something better?

A few of my staple products have been discontinued but that only counts for maybe 1/8 of the stuff in those boxes.

The only product I have used continously over the last 4-5 years has been Pantene conditioner as a leave in. (The Smooth and Sleek used to be called Dry Damaged Hair Conditioner) I have tried other stuff for a brief moment but I always go back to this.

Gels I have switched up several times especially when trying the CG routine but stick with VO5 or Vital Care.

My curl activator has been discontinued so I stocked up but have been looking for a replacement for when my last 4 jars are done.

Rinse out Conditioners I pretty much have stuck with Suave through the years. I started off with Strawberry, then Coconut and now I use the Moisturising. It is cheap and I go through a lot of conditioner. Almost a bottle every week.

Deep conditioners I just got into this past year b/c I have been straightening my hair more than before and I need to replenish and repair it. I have stuck with GPB and Ion Moisturising from Sally's.

Vitamins - I pretty much just take the Horsetail Grass (when I remember). Been takingthis for the last 4-5 years as well. I tried others like EPO and Ester C and got weird side effects.

Shampoo - I dont even have the time to get into all that I have tried....VO5, Shaikai, Suave, California Baby, Ouidad, Jason Naturals, the list goes on and on... and I have no valid reason for switching up like I do.

Styling when straight is a whole different animal and I think that contributed to the bulk of my products since I wear my hair curly most of the time. I am always looking for something to give it shine, remove frizz, let it lay properly, straighten without damaging ...you know that miracle product...OK now I am babbling...

anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
Nizoral 2% prescription strength is a must staple used for
6 years and still going strong.
Vitale moisturizing shampoo.
Lanza Protein Plus shampoo.
Evoo
Vitamins green source and B5.

[/ QUOTE ]

Youre the second person to mention using this. What exactly do you use the Nizoral 2% prescription strength for? thanks!

Back