SSK's Driving Me Crazy! HAVE to Add More Heat!

JFK

These SSK's are getting out of control.

I've decided that I HAVE to at least blowdry with every wash and begin washing while in braids/twists sometimes.

My SSK's form at my ends and creates tiny clumps as they wrap around other ends. So much breakage occurs.

Has anyone else began to use heat regularly and notice improvement?

Try roller setting. Either with magnetic or curlformers. This will stretch your hair enough to avoid the knots and direct heat as well.

There are other options to using heat to minimize SSK's. For example, airdry in braids/twists, rollers, or bantu knots. Also, yes, definitely wash in braids/twists every time. Don't feel like you have to use heat ... unless you want to.

I always use heat- the blowdry tension method. No probs w/ssk's. You should also always wash in braids (get with it!)

I was very in denial about the whole issue of heat now I understand why after months of air drying and having lots of ssks. Though since my hair texture is still fine I must be prudent. And I only wash my hair in braids now.

Best,
Almond Eyes

I always use heat- the blowdry tension method. No probs w/ssk's. You should also always wash in braids (get with it!)

This is exactly what I do. I have noticed a huge decrease in SSK's. Now I'll get one a month, if that. When I airdried (in braids or loose) my hair was full of SSK's and I experienced some breakage.

It could be something that you are doing or not doing to your hair. I am texlaxed and I had two things that cause me to have them. First was daily cowashing which gave me a head full of single strand knots, it was just too much for my hair. Also when I went on a no trimming or dusting regime, this caused my shed hair to tangle around my untrimmed ends and cause knots. I don't use any direct heat because I am lazy and my hair is good without it. But I wear my hair mostly in a bun which stretches my hair so I don't get too many single strand knots.

I'm suffering from a few single strand knots and they're getting on my nerves. I hate the feel of my ends when I touch them with those pesky little knots. I know it's from not leaving my hair stretched out and from the shedded hair tangling with my ends and possibly product buildup. Using heat seems like the only thing that works for me too. When I had relaxed hair, I never had single strand knots nor splits in my life, so I'm thinking I need to keep my hair stretched or straightened in order to combat this.

can someone post a pic of their ssk? I've never had a problem with them or maybe because I just rip through my hair with a padded brush I dont notice them :look:

I've just started trying this. SSKs are why I only have 1 to two inches of length progress since transitioning.My new growth is 6 months worth but the entire length is only 2 inches what it was when I started my journey.

I have damaged relaxed ends that knot and tangle.I wish I had come into this knowledge before a few weeks ago. It would have saved me some agony. Better late than never. Now after months of wondering about where the length was going I've figured it out.

I have to use heat to smooth out my tangles.

When I had relaxed hair, I never had single strand knots nor splits in my life, so I'm thinking I need to keep my hair stretched or straightened in order to combat this.

Yup this. I never had rough ends as a relaxed head (also with no hair knowledge!)

Back