Spot Relax....?

itismehmmkay

I want to spot relax my hairline so that it will blend in more with the rest of my hair. Since this hair gets wet when I wash my face, it reverts much easier.

HEre's the catch....I don't want to wash the rest of my hair. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Here's what I plan on doing:

1. Pulling my hair back w/ clips

2. Applying vaseline over hairline for protection.

3. Apply relaxer with a Q-tip.

4. Let stand for about 5 minutes.

5. Rinse and wash with Neutralizing Shampoo.........etc.

Do you all think this will work?

ubavka123

But your last relaxer was 9/9--can't you just tie it down with a scarf and some oil or gel? The scarf trick does wonders. Also, might I suggest that you invest in one of those headbands made specifically for keeping your hair and hairline dry while washing your face, if you don't already have one? It has a velcro closure and you wrap it around your hairline. I never have a wet hairline after washing my face since finding this in Sephora! That way, you don't need to touch up your hairline. I am always squeamish at the thought of not relaxing my hair all at once. I cannot offer any advice other than what I have given. If you still want to relax your hairline, I hope you get more responses. HTH /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
I am always squeamish at the thought of not relaxing my hair all at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I'm sure relaxing your hairline will definitely get it straight...but I wouldn't do it. /images/graemlins/look.gif

model_chick717

I've done this a million times. I use to relax my edges slightly when I use to wear sew-in weaves because I would go so long with out retouching my hair--and the edges left out would start to fuzz up. So it can be done with no problems--as long as you don't have any issues with breakage on the edges in the first place....

itismehmmkay

Hmmmmm.... /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Maybe I'll try the headband trick in the mornings after taking down my rollers. Should I just continue using Let's Jam or do ya'll have any other suggestions.

And as far as the face washing. I always want to make sure that I get all of my make-up off before going to bed. That's the main reason why I even let my hairline get wet.

/images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif Wondering if I could do the headband trick at night w/ rollers...

Carlie

When I'm washing my face and don't want my hair to get wet, I'll tie a headband, bandana, or headscarf firmly around my hairline. This usually works for me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ubavka123

I think you could...Tie your hair with a scarf as close to your hairline as you can (not overlapping on your face/forehead since you want to make sure you get all your makeup). And look on the net or in a cosmetics store for the headband that protects your hair and hairline while you wash your face. It is GREAT! Good luck! When I tie my hairline, I just use a little Wild Growth Oil, and sometimes, if it is really poofy, I will use some alcohol free gel. I don't have any specific product suggestions...

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]
So it can be done with no problems

[/ QUOTE ]

MC....I didn't see your post beforehand.....Yes!

Dang.....now I want to do the spot. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

The thing is, I'm not trying to get them straight. I jsut want to loosen the curl up so that the edges will lay down better...even if I stil have to apply gel. My main concern was doing it w/o washing the rest of my hair.

kitchen_tician

Hi Itisme /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I think it will work just fine. I peeked in your album and your hair looks so thick and healthy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Itisme /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I think it will work just fine. I peeked in your album and your hair looks so thick and healthy. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, Kitchen.....you better quit. You'll have me walking around here thinking I'm even cuter. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

But really, that compliment means alot to me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif My hair has never been called thick and healthy in the past. LHCF rules!!!

model_chick717

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So it can be done with no problems

[/ QUOTE ]

MC....I didn't see your post beforehand.....Yes!

Dang.....now I want to do the spot. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif

The thing is, I'm not trying to get them straight. I jsut want to loosen the curl up so that the edges will lay down better...even if I stil have to apply gel. My main concern was doing it w/o washing the rest of my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either--whenever I would spot relax my edges--the goal was to only make them "behave"--not to get them straight.... /images/graemlins/wink.gif

lovelymissyoli

[ QUOTE ]
Should I just continue using Let's Jam or do ya'll have any other suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Elasta QP's Mango Butter and Fantasia IC Gel/Pomade are great for holding down my edges. I get my hairline wet all the time but it doesn't bother me as much. What gets me is extending a relaxer and having to deal with the diff. texture of hair around the edges. I just put a dab of the products I mentioned around my hairline and I'm good to go.

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Should I just continue using Let's Jam or do ya'll have any other suggestions.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Elasta QP's Mango Butter and Fantasia IC Gel/Pomade are great for holding down my edges. I get my hairline wet all the time but it doesn't bother me as much. What gets me is extending a relaxer and having to deal with the diff. texture of hair around the edges. I just put a dab of the products I mentioned around my hairline and I'm good to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.....I have both of those! LOL.. I guess I'll give that a try tonight and tomorrow morning. And if it doesn't work, I'll just do the spot.

Wait...why are we trippin? I bet I'll still do the spot tonight to still loosen the curl. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Yayyyyyyy....I get to mess w/ my hair! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

LondonDiva

This is my tip. Spray with a lil surge, brush back ever so lightly tie a silky satin scarf on your head (this can be for as little as 5 mins) and voila, it's totally tame. Don't ever relax the hairline more than necessary, you'll end up looking like Venus Williams. And by the way what you think is relaxed hair reverting, because it can't is probably new growth from the water hitting there twice a day, nurture it and keep it healthy.

ccd

[ QUOTE ]
This is my tip. Spray with a lil surge, brush back ever so lightly tie a silky satin scarf on your head (this can be for as little as 5 mins) and voila, it's totally tame. Don't ever relax the hairline more than necessary, you'll end up looking like Venus Williams. And by the way what you think is relaxed hair reverting, because it can't is probably new growth from the water hitting there twice a day, nurture it and keep it healthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are sooo right about Surge...I use the spray together with the cream ( and scarf) to lay my edges down in the AM...i tend to get little hairs standing up after a night of sleep /images/graemlins/sleeping.gif I toss and turn and my scarf tend to move off my hairline so some parts are exposed

Also, I would be a bit nervous about relaxing that area more often because after a while I think it would start to thin out that area...however, I know salons do it and a friend of mine had me do it recently...it turned out fine...she said she often does it with no problems...

I think its a choice you have to make...I don't mind the waves in the front so I go with it

Good Luck either way...also IC Fantasia Ice is nice and it leave hair shiny!!!! later in the post relaxer weeks I found Tancho Stick and that stuff WORKSSSS on 8, 9, 10, 11 weeks post.

kitchen_tician

Hey CCD: I peeked in your album and I think we have the exact same hairline. I also have to be careful with my edges or else they will get overprocessed and too thin. I slightly relax my hairline and let the natural curls do their thing.

Oh yeah, my "edge taming" kit includes:
1. grease
2. water
3. toothbrush (soft bristle)
4. scarf
Wet the toothbrush, put a dab of grease on edges and smooth with toothbrush. Tie down with scarf.

Oh yeah, Elasta QP Glaze works well too.

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
Hey CCD: I peeked in your album and I think we have the exact same hairline. I also have to be careful with my edges or else they will get overprocessed and too thin. I slightly relax my hairline and let the natural curls do their thing.

Oh yeah, my "edge taming" kit includes:
1. grease
2. water
3. toothbrush (soft bristle)
4. scarf
Wet the toothbrush, put a dab of grease on edges and smooth with toothbrush. Tie down with scarf.

Oh yeah, Elasta QP works well too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to do, what I call, the "toothbrush technique" too! /images/graemlins/smile.gif It works like a charm....works w. beeswax as well. My sister who is natural taught me the beeswax trick. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

itismehmmkay

Update! Update...

Well, I didn't do a spot after all. Whew!

I forgot that while I was natural and in braids, I would apply SoftTouch grease to my hairline when it got wet and it would slick down very nicely. So, I just did the same thing last night when I washed my face (When I wash in the morning, I don't pay as much attention to my hairline because I don't have to worry about the makeup and because my satin bonnet covers my hairline anyway). Worked like a charm /images/graemlins/up.gif

Annnnnnnnnd....I just realized that I was using Let's Jam Lite. Every blue moon, I'll use the Lite formula on my ends before rolling or hot curling. But for my edges, I need that regular. So sofar, everything is cool. Looking back at those pictures, I realized that my edges were really just dry and needed some moisture on them as opposed to extra straightening.

/images/graemlins/wave.gif Thanks you all!

ubavka123

Good choice! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Sometimes it helps to sleep on it! You always come up with new ideas instead of going for the more drastic solutions. I'm glad it worked out! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

kitchen_tician

Itisme, I'm glad you worked it out with the Soft Touch grease. Grease? /images/graemlins/sekret.gif Did someone say grease? Good ol' grease works wonders. I'm tellin' ya! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

itismehmmkay

[ QUOTE ]
Itisme, I'm glad you worked it out with the Soft Touch grease. Grease? /images/graemlins/sekret.gif Did someone say grease? Good ol' grease works wonders. I'm tellin' ya! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...thanks. And yes, good ole grease. I'll you though, it's something about that grease in particular. I used to use it in my TWA's as well. No other grease really works for me.

ccd

Ohhh Isitme!!!! I'm glad you decided to smooth it out minus the relaxer...and YES I agree my hair will start looking raggedy because it NEED MOsiture!!!! ( hello...I say to myself) It really does workk to spray smoe water on those suckers!!!

Kitchen! I love the toothbrush method!!!! I am wrting that down!!! I use to use an eyebrow brush!!!! /images/graemlins/rofl.gif laughin' at myself yall!!!

I feel my hairline is to precious to be messin' with it...its taken so longer to see progress in that area...my "little"hairs in the very front are growin now!!!! yeepeee...ok sorry I digress

itismehmmkay

Sooooooooo...I did it anyway. /images/graemlins/rofl.gif I:

-put on a headband

-covered my hair with a plastic cap, leaving 1/2 inch of my hairline exposed

-smeared a generous amount of vaseline on my hairline

-applied the relaxer with a Q-tip

-let sit for 1 min.

-wipe off with cotton ball

-let sit for 3 min.

-rinse hairline with water

-apply neutralizing conditioner (I use the Motions system)

-let sit for 1 min.

-rinse off

-apply neutralizing shampoo twice

-apply SoftTouch grease /images/graemlins/wink.gif

It worked out pretty well. I still have to slick down my hairline a bit, but it's not as bushy as before.

I knew this would work, I was just worried about spotting w/o washing the rest of my hair. I think I'll just do this every 4-6 weeks or so (which is {{cough}} how frequent I plan to wash)

yay!

(Wait...maybe my hairline is scab hair...maybe that's why it won't lay as well. /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif)

bajanplums1

Eventhough you did relax, I agree that spot relaxing so frequently will thin out your edges gradually. I mean the hairline is the last part to relax even when you are doing to full head. I am 7 weeks past of a relaxer and my edges look crazy after I wash but this works and gets them straight!

1. spritz with Dew
2. generous amount of QP Mango Butter
3. brush with boar bristle into a ponytail
4. tie head firmly with scarf (not cotton scarf)

BAM! 1/2hr later straight and smooth roots

itismehmmkay

Here's the thing...I sleep in rollers. So, should I do that grease and scarf regimens in the morning before styling my hair?

/images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif I think I'm answering my own question. Also, I bet that hair is scab hair, it seemed pretty soft before I relaxed it.

bajanplums1

I sleep in rollers too. I have rollers in my hair and the roots are straight now. Here is what I did this week:

1. I washed my hair Wed. night, I used my leave in and rollerset. I air dried overnight. In the morning, I took out the rollers and of course the hair was soft and straight but the roots were crazy rough.
2. So, Thurs. morning, I wore my hair in a ponytail. I brushed the hair into a ponytail and all around the roots I spritz dew and generous amounts of mango butter.
3. Thurs. night, when I got home at night, I repeated, dew and mango butter brushed into a ponytail tied the satin sacrf on my head and went to sleep.
4. Friday, in the morning my roots were straight, I wore my hair with a part in the middle and clipped at the back.
5. Friday night, I have my hair in rollers and plan to wear a rollerset until Sunday evening when I will wash again.

Basically, I am alternating between a ponytail and a rollerset. Each time I do the ponytail my hair gets straighter. I am certain that by this method i can stretch my relaxer out 12 weeks.

At the same time, I condition seriously as a way to ensure that my roots are as moisturized as they can be.

Good luck, I mean, it may seem like a lot of work, but think about the reward of strong healthy hair, root to tip--isn't that what we are all after?