Spinoff: Naturals and Relaxed- How Do You Wear Your Hair Most Days?

How Do You Wear Your Hair Most Days?

• Out (I Use Heat Every Day or Most Days)

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Protective Style (Wig, Weave, Braids,Twists, Etc.)

Votes: 129 50.8%
  • Low Manipulation Style (Braid-out, Twist-Out, Wash N Go, Etc.)

Votes: 134 52.8%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 15 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Until recently, I was wearing wigs or blowing my hair out. The other day I got bold and wore a wash n go. I'm sick of the wash n go because my hair gets really frizzy. I've been mulling the idea of getting a weave again. I'm just sick of having to make a choice every morning. The combs in my favorite wig were wreaking havoc on my edges so I had to stop that. I may go back to two strand twist outs until I have enough to pay for my weave and install.

Protective styling is the key!
I'm all about the buns! I've been doing some low manipulation styles in the past 3 weeks (curly fro, Braidout, bantu-knot out) but the bun is my go-to style!
I'm learning to make my hair look smoother by layering on some moisturizing leave-in (sometimes a shea butter mix) and then applying aloe vera gel.
It worked well yesterday!
I'm transitioning to natural from texlaxed by the way! :)

Currently, I wear buns most days of the week. I've finally found a way to make them sleek enough for my own tastes and hair thickness. Right now I'm still experimenting with how long I can keep them in for - I'm up to about 3 days thus far.

For 1 day of the weekday I'll wear a twistout - usually on a Friday (my TOs don't keep well, imo). This is actually how most of work colleagues seem to prefer my hair and men in generally seem to prefer it out. I prefer my hair up because I think it suits me best.

A few weeks ago, I was wearing braids with extensions but I got tired of them. I feel I take better care of my hair when it's out of braids and it's really not my no.1 preference anyway. I cannot foresee myself going back to extensions in the near future but given I've said this before :lol: - I never say never.

Wash and go! I drive 18 wheelers so I usually don't have time for a lot of styles. Sometimes, I band my hair and baggy under hats. Banding helps reduce the amount of shrinkage, tangles, and knots (for MY hair).:yep:

I may go back to extension braids and twists for the winter.

The summer has been alot of twists and twist outs, the winter - I'm not sure what I am gonna do , I want to go back to box braids but they take so long (to install and take out) now that my hair is longer.

I have been wearing twist outs and loose curls this summer. Not sure what I will do this fall. Probably the same since my hair isn't long enough (without shrinkage) for wash n puff or the next level. Still trying to avoid heat.

Twists down or ponytail or pixie braids down or ponytail.

Edited: because I don't have much time to do other styles and it keeps me from handling my fine tresses too much.

Last edited:
I used co-wash every other day and wear an air dried ponytail that was flipped up and secured with a claw clasp, but I didn’t like how my hair was responding to this method. So, since I spend a great deal of time indoors, lately I have been wearing my hair in 4-6 granny-Celie braids after my weekly wash (and I give all postal carriers that ring my door bell a very serious expression while I sign for my packages :grin:). When I go out, I loosen the braids, comb through and go.

I am wearing protective styles 100% of the time.. I've been wearing 2 strand twist for a little over a week.. and I think i'm going to roll this this until I get tired. (which probably won't be long)

I'm natural and I wear mostly wash n go's because its less manipulation for me. Sometimes I put it in a puff or pulled back into a bun but wash n gos are my main hair style.

Once I have more length I will wear twists but I dont like how they look on me right now. I really dont like protective styles.

Wash~n~go....winter, spring, fall, and summer. I don't get sick with a wet head in winter so I don't have to change my routine.

I transitioning and in the summer I switch up between twist outs and buns. I try not to bun too frequently because I am trying to baby my edges but since my natural hair is taking over, my twistouts are hit or miss now. :ohwell: In the winter time i wear half wigs with my hair braided underneath or I straighten if I'm bored and get tired of the half wigs.

I PS most of the time with cornrows, buns, wigs.

I rarely wear my own hair blowdried and straightened. Probably haven't done that in over a year.

Currently, I wear buns most days of the week. I've finally found a way to make them sleek enough for my own tastes and hair thickness.
OP: not trying to hijack....
but tocktick, I have an OT question: what's your bun method?

I'm usually in cornrows braided into a bun or twists in a bun with cornrows up front. I'm sooooo over twist-outs, puffs, WNG's, or any other "out" styles, which I did for years prior in between shrunken twists. I do this because I don't have to do anything to my hair for weeks, I can wake up and yank off my scarf and go, and its the ultimate in length retention.

I wear my hair in buns and pigtails(at home) for the majority of the time. Sundays generally a braidout.

I do this mostly because it's easier to do, takes way too long to do my hair, and I'm lazy. Also, want to retain length.

my hair is usually out, in a braid n' curl, or twist n' curl. it's still too short to make a comfortable bun without loads of manipulation, and i like wearing my hair out.

right now, though, i'm in a kinky weave. i wear it in mostly rollersets.

I rarely wear my hair out anymore! It's all about retention for me. Really the only day that my hair is out is on wash day. I AM GONNA GET TO MY HAIR GOALS!!! :D

my hair is all natural and i wear my hair down every single day. my hair has to be free to blow in the wind. and i whip it around when i feel like flirting...it drives the men wild!:giggle:

I mostly wear my lightly texturized hair in a hair zhing or banana clip-even after co-washing and only straightening every 8-12 weeks with a rollerset then blow out at the roots only.

Back