Spinny: The Relaxer "Reveal" Thread!!!!

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
baddison looks wonderful lady:grin: and I owe you and sunnieb a special thanks. ..I never considered going 18 weeks until you two grabbed me by the ears:yep:

Nix08 your hair looks lovely. Are you still cowashing daily? If so, what are doing with your hair daily?

janeemat thank you lady:grin: Yes I pretty much still do cowash daily although I got a little lazy the last few weeks. ..but I'll be back on it. I wash at night and air dry while I smooth and finger detangle then put it in a cap over night. I stick to updo's now.

Isis33

Thank you bebezazueta and divachyk

After my next relaxer (end of May) I want to do a 6 month stretch. I also want to quit the birth control pill during that time (",) I hope I don't experience too much shedding! If I get stuck, I'll be contacting y'all, lol!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Good Luck Isis33 - tea and coffee rinses are great for shedding. Hop on over to the coffee / tea thread for ideas. I like several different teas and tea rinse every Sunday which is my long regi day where I co-cleanse & DC. A few of my favs are: green tea, roobis tea, burdock root, marshmallow root, slippery elm, moringa and bamboo. I cowash throughout the week but don't tea rinse on those days. I think Nix08 tea rinses with every wash/co-wash day. Coffee rinsing is too strong for my hair and makes it feel very protein like. However, I love Hairitage's Jar of Joe -- it's formulated just right.

If you're not up for brewing, steeping & mixing, you can use Alter Ego Garlic conditioner. There are some other garlic tricks available where you use fresh garlic or garlic powder. Those options were too many steps for me so I chose Alter Ego Garlic. Now that I'm doing tea rinsing, I haven't had a need for my Alter Ego Garlic. Buying teas and steeping is a much cheaper option than using Alter Ego Garlic. Once I use up that conditioner, I won't repurchase. I'll just stick with tea rinsing.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Isis33,

You might get more shedding. It happened for me about 3 months after I quit birth control. I thought I was going bald. I also had my thyroid medication lowered so there was double conflict going on. I also came to the conclusion that if everything in my body was (is) right hormonally, then I cant be mad to lose what I would not have had in the first place.

If you do get shedding, it wont be for long, but tea rinses helped with the shedding as well because for me it was becoming too much to fast. I still had shedding with the rinses, but it was dramatically better.

Like I said, you might not get shedding, but there is a chance and I would recommend start doing them tea rinses now. Green tea is a good starter, Black tea is my favorite.

Isis33

Isis33,

You might get more shedding. It happened for me about 3 months after I quit birth control. I thought I was going bald. I also had my thyroid medication lowered so there was double conflict going on. I also came to the conclusion that if everything in my body was (is) right hormonally, then I cant be mad to lose what I would not have had in the first place.

If you do get shedding, it wont be for long, but tea rinses helped with the shedding as well because for me it was becoming too much to fast. I still had shedding with the rinses, but it was dramatically better.

Like I said, you might not get shedding, but there is a chance and I would recommend start doing them tea rinses now. Green tea is a good starter, Black tea is my favorite.
Saludable84

Thank you for your advice. I'm glad that your hair still looks thick! I quit the pill a few years ago and I did experience shedding, unfortunately I didn't link it to quitting the pill (and neither did the idiot trichologists & dermatologists who I saw and had to pay £80 a pop 4 their lack of expertise). I went back on the pill to stop the acne I experienced after quitting.

Fast forward 6yrs later, my hair is still thin from that experience (in the front edges & crown) an dnow I'm reading all these scary stories about women getting androgenic alopecia from quitting the pill. I don't want to put that poison in my body anymore but I don't want to lose what's left of my hair either :(

However, I didn't have the help of the members of LHCF back then :) I plan to quit the pill when I get back from holiday in June and will let you know if the rinses help.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Saludable84

Thank you for your advice. I'm glad that your hair still looks thick! I quit the pill a few years ago and I did experience shedding, unfortunately I didn't link it to quitting the pill (and neither did the idiot trichologists & dermatologists who I saw and had to pay £80 a pop 4 their lack of expertise). I went back on the pill to stop the acne I experienced after quitting.

Fast forward 6yrs later, my hair is still thin from that experience (in the front edges & crown) an dnow I'm reading all these scary stories about women getting androgenic alopecia from quitting the pill. I don't want to put that poison in my body anymore but I don't want to lose what's left of my hair either :(

However, I didn't have the help of the members of LHCF back then :) I plan to quit the pill when I get back from holiday in June and will let you know if the rinses help.

My edges in the front thinned a bit but they are coming now. Using growth aids didnt work for me either, just made the shedding worse. From your thumbnail, your hair looks fine, but you know better than me. Tea rinses and prepoo with oils worked best for me.

Isis33

My edges in the front thinned a bit but they are coming now. Using growth aids didnt work for me either, just made the shedding worse. From your thumbnail, your hair looks fine, but you know better than me. Tea rinses and prepoo with oils worked best for me.
Saludable84

That's an old pic (from 2008). Check out my album. I have recently started to prepoo and will look into tea rinses.

Stay blessed!

Mande30

It is done. My first self self-relax (all by myself). I used the method that @sunnieb suggested. It took me an hour to prep my hair, but it was worth it. I am pleased with the results.

Things that I will do differently next time:

1. Make the twists bigger or use clips to keep them separated. They started sticking together, making the smoothing process a little difficult.

2. Pay more attention to relaxer residue. Some got on my face. By the time I realized it, I was burned.

All said and done, I love being in control of this process. I began my twisting at 1:30 pm and got in the shower to rinse my DC about 4:30 pm. I have attached photos of freshly relaxed air dried hair.

Attachments

• HES mothers day 027.JPG
    HES mothers day 027.JPG
    408 KB · Views: 182
  • HES mothers day 028.JPG
    HES mothers day 028.JPG
    345 KB · Views: 154

sunnieb

Mande30 - congrats on your first successful self-relaxer! Your results look great!

I remember the first time I self-relaxed, I took off work that day because I was so nervous and so slow with each step.

Now I'm a "pro" and can't imagine going to a salon ever again for my relaxers.

mschristine

It is done. My first self self-relax (all by myself). I used the method that @sunnieb suggested. It took me an hour to prep my hair, but it was worth it. I am pleased with the results.

Things that I will do differently next time:

1. Make the twists bigger or use clips to keep them separated. They started sticking together, making the smoothing process a little difficult.

2. Pay more attention to relaxer residue. Some got on my face. By the time I realized it, I was burned.

All said and done, I love being in control of this process. I began my twisting at 1:30 pm and got in the shower to rinse my DC about 4:30 pm. I have attached photos of freshly relaxed air dried hair.

Congrats buddy!!! Your hair looks great!!

Loving

I got a touch up on Saturday and think I am at BSL.

Attachments

• DSCN0353.jpg
    DSCN0353.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 225

sunnieb

Bump!!!!

I know we relaxed heads love to stretch our relaxers for ever, but come on!

I KNOW somebody has relaxed around these parts lately. Show us the pics!!! :)