Soggy hair through baggying ....

Glib Gurl

Okay, so I'm a big fan of baggying - I will pull my hair back into a ponytail, then put a few drops of olive oil in a baggy and then put it over the ponytail.

While this helps strengthen my ends and, I believe, has contributed to increase retention of length, I am a little disturbed that my ponytail will still be damp after, say, 8 hours in a baggy. I eventually just let it airdry. Is it bad at all to have your hair damp for that long? (Damp things usually lead to mold and other ickies . . . don't know if that would be a problem for hair, though.)

Any thoughts?

Okay, so I'm a big fan of baggying - I will pull my hair back into a ponytail, then put a few drops of olive oil in a baggy and then put it over the ponytail.

While this helps strengthen my ends and, I believe, has contributed to increase retention of length, I am a little disturbed that my ponytail will still be damp after, say, 8 hours in a baggy. I eventually just let it airdry. Is it bad at all to have your hair damp for that long? (Damp things usually lead to mold and other ickies . . . don't know if that would be a problem for hair, though.)

Any thoughts?

Hey Glib~ I don't baggie but my hair is always damp. I don't worry about mold and "other ickies" I co-wash ever/every other day.

I've never had a problem with it. My scalp did not appreciate being damp for that long (ooooh, the itching!), but my hair has never complained.

As long as you are washing regularily, I don't think you'll have to worry - I would be more worried about the strands becoming potentially overmoisturized and 'soggy' feeling - but a quick protein treatment will usually set that straight.

Is your hair completely dry when you start? It's pretty normal for it t/b a bit damp after you take off the baggy, I usually just do like you said and let the ends air dry. You should be ok. How are you styling it once you take off the bag?

Is your hair completely dry when you start? It's pretty normal for it t/b a bit damp after you take off the baggy, I usually just do like you said and let the ends air dry. You should be ok. How are you styling it once you take off the bag?

Uh, usually just wearing it in a ponytail without the baggy :look:

i don't do baggying because I went to sleep with a baggy on my head and woke up with sopping wet hair looking a hot mess. That's all it took for me and I never did it again

Hey there, I've baggied my entire head for entire days before with no problems. Days when I don't have to work in the office of course.

Funny u should mention baggying - I restarted this again this week and forgot how soggy my hair gets (i just oil my scalp) but I'm staying on it cause I've not been happy with my retention the last few months, I'll just let it airdry...

Hi I love baggying for my hair and I have seen less breaking on my hair ends. When I baggy my ends sometimes I do notice my ends are a little soggy, what I do is let my hair airdry and that usually helps. I never had any problems with my roots or scalp with the soggy ends. I hopes that helps.

Susan

Any thoughts?

Hi Glib,

I am a 24/7 baggier. I have been doing it since joining and baggying is the way too grow for me. My hair ends are NEVER dry! It's not a bad thing because I co wash every other day! I will continue to do this forever. The biggest factor for baggying is I seldom get splits. I do however trim my ends every 3 months to keep that blunt need look because I do wear my hair down for special events.

Any thoughts?

Oopsie, double post...

Last edited:
I don't baggy because I don't like the "sogginess" of my ends whenever I've tried it. Even on dry hair with just a bit of oil, my hair gets damp in a few hours. I tried without putting anything on my ends, just the baggy and still damp. *sign*

IMHO *baggying* is much like the old school jeri curl when you had to put on the curl activator and cover with cap. Friends of my who never had hair grew theirs long with the JC and now I believe because they were baggying. Who knew. :ohwell: I HATED the jeri curl cuz my hair had to stay wet pretty much all the time. I sported it for like 2 days and then cut off all my hair (my mother had a fit!) but I just couldn't stand that damp hair all over my shoulders so I did the BC! LOL! It all grew back with pretty quickly with the help of braids . . .

Ummm, this was waaay back in the day, like decades ago. I know a few of you LHCFers remember the jeri curl???

I don't baggy because I don't like the "sogginess" of my ends whenever I've tried it. Even on dry hair with just a bit of oil, my hair gets damp in a few hours. I tried without putting anything on my ends, just the baggy and still damp. *sign*

IMHO *baggying* is much like the old school jeri curl when you had to put on the curl activator and cover with cap. Friends of my who never had hair grew theirs long with the JC and now I believe because they were baggying. Who knew. :ohwell: I HATED the jeri curl cuz my hair had to stay wet pretty much all the time. I sported it for like 2 days and then cut off all my hair (my mother had a fit!) but I just couldn't stand that damp hair all over my shoulders so I did the BC! LOL! It all grew back with pretty quickly with the help of braids . . .

Ummm, this was waaay back in the day, like decades ago. I know a few of you LHCFers remember the jeri curl???

:lachen: Girl, we weren't all born after 1985. ;) :lachen:

And yeah, I think that the constant moisture was the main part of the long lengths that people gained with a curl.....

Uh, usually just wearing it in a ponytail without the baggy :look:

Just wondering. If my ends are damp when I take the bag off, I usually just end up bunning then taking down later in the day to let it breathe and dry if it hasn't already.

My bun stays damp, but I figure that's a good thing since it probably has less of a chance to break and form split ends. I cowash once or twice a week, and wash and DC on the weekend so my scalp and hair are getting washed enough. I also let it air out when I give myself a scalp massage so it does dry at some point.

Hi Glib,

I am a 24/7 baggier. I have been doing it since joining and baggying is the way too grow for me. My hair ends are NEVER dry! It's not a bad thing because I co wash every other day! I will continue to do this forever. The biggest factor for baggying is I seldom get splits. I do however trim my ends every 3 months to keep that blunt need look because I do wear my hair down for special events.

How do you style to hide the bag? Do you use a shower cap or a little sandwich bag? :look:

When I used to co-wash my hair everyday and go to sleep with wet hair all the time, my hair felt slightly mushy to the touch and was kind of fragile. This was from over-moisturization. But now I wash my hair every three days or so, and I make sure I wait at least 4 days between DC treatments. Macherieamour's blog called Beginning Your Hair Journey helped me to realize that DC'ing (and probably even baggying) your hair too often isn't really that great for your hair.

Back