So why doesn't Tyra rock her NATURAL hair?

loolalooh

I watched the ever-anticipated Tuesday Tyra show and it was quite interesting I must say. There's much to be said about the guests, but what I want to know is: So why doesn't Tyra rock her NATURAL hair more often? I missed the first 10 minutes of the show, so if she answered the question during that time, then disregard what follows:

With how critical she was with some of the guests (for reasons I can understand), I would think she'd show her real hair more. She probably wore a weave/wig yesterday and may be back in one tomorrow or sometime soon. Why? Is it for protection? If that's the case, then why not wear the cornrows she had today or natural twists, buns, updos, etc. for protection. Is it because her wig/weaves look better? If that's the case, then she could learn to style her natural hair so that it is up to par. Is it for ease? If that's case, then she would be contradicting herself considering some of the comments she made to the guests.

So why doesn't Tyra rock her NATURAL hair more often?

Maybe she is scared of the lack of acceptance she will get for rocking her natural hair...maybe she doesn't want to alienate her non black viewers...maybe she just can't be bothered...maybe her hair is damaged and she is embarrassed...maybe she isn't proud of her natural hair...maybe she is wearing it in a protective style during working hours and then lets it down...maybe she doesn't have the courage to do it

honestly I haven't got a clue about why she doesn't rock her natural hair. I doubt we will ever see her natural hair. No worries she is still gorgeous and fierce

All of these topics about the show are making me sad that I can't watch it

Because deep inside she probably feels just like those children she had on the show today. I can't think of any other reasons why in so many years of doing the show she has NEVER (probably except today and another time when she puts it in braids) worn her natural hair out.

she's had it on ANTM a few times. .... but its REAL quick to shave any other chick bald

Well, she is a celebrity and most AA celebrity women cannot rock their "real" hair (natural or relaxed) it's too damaging (their hair is styled way too much by different stylists from day to day). I'm glad to see that she has what looks like healthy hair under her LF!

Maybe she is scared of the lack of acceptance she will get for rocking her natural hair...maybe she doesn't want to alienate her non black viewers...maybe she just can't be bothered...maybe her hair is damaged and she is embarrassed...maybe she isn't proud of her natural hair...maybe she is wearing it in a protective style during working hours and then lets it down...maybe she doesn't have the courage to do it

honestly I haven't got a clue about why she doesn't rock her natural hair. I doubt we will ever see her natural hair. No worries she is still gorgeous and fierce

All of these topics about the show are making me sad that I can't watch it

Because deep inside she probably feels just like those children she had on the show today. I can't think of any other reasons why in so many years of doing the show she has NEVER (probably except today and another time when she puts it in braids) worn her natural hair out.

I'm inclined to believe these reasons.

Well, she is a celebrity and most AA celebrity women cannot rock their "real" hair (natural or relaxed) it's too damaging (their hair is styled way too much by different stylists from day to day). I'm glad to see that she has what looks like healthy hair under her LF!

True indeed. I can understand that it's more protective to wear a weave than to manipulate the real hair on a daily basis. But why silky, straight weaves over curly, coily weaves (like Jill Scott, Erika Badu)? She's was going hard on the girl about her Hannah Montana wig when she herself rocks her own "Hannah Montana" wig. Tyra seemed on the show to be all about changing the mentality of "good hair" versus "bad hair" but doesn't appear to practice that in her public life.

You guys beat me to it with this question! I just watched that show and at the end she made her "closing arguments" and mentioned that she feels beautiful wearing her natural hair. if that is the case, why don't her actions translate that? I was also surprised she didn't address that within herself the way she was asking her guests why they relax their hair or wear wigs and weave. At the end of the day though, we can speculate until the cows come home but the only way we will really know the answer to that is to get the answers from Tyra herself.

She looks like she has healthy hair. It seems she uses the LF for protective styles. I would like to see her rock the corn rows more often or a braid out.,

She looks like she has healthy hair. It seems she uses the LF for protective styles. I would like to see her rock the corn rows more often or a braid out.,

I agree. I think so too. I would have loved to be at that taping so I could have seen EVERYTHING. I know they edited it down and cut out all the real "meat" of the discussion.

Actually I was thinking those cornrows were a lacefront. I think Tyra has worn a cornrowed lacefront before.

she's had it on ANTM a few times. .... but its REAL quick to shave any other chick bald

Yeah I hate how she wants to cut everyone's hair, especially if she thinks they are cute.

I've watched ANTM a lot but I've never seen Tyra with her real hair. In fact, over the past few years of candid paparazii photos of her, I've never seen one without her wig. So honestly, I think she is either bald or just refuses to wear her hair out in public.

Last edited:
You know what...I don't think this show is going to be successful. Why? Because Tyra isn't going to practice what she preached. Im sure many of the women on the show and in her audience look up to her soooooooooo it's not going to make black women change what they view as good or bad hair. Tyra doesn't show her real hair and says she is proud of her natural hair yet it's covered up and no one knows what it looks like?

Now if Mama O did this show I could see it getting through to black women.

Oh well she tried right?

I'm saying all of this and I haven't even seen the show.

You know what...I don't think this show is going to be successful. Why? Because Tyra isn't going to practice what she preached. Im sure many of the women on the show and in her audience look up to her soooooooooo it's not going to make black women change what they view as good or bad hair. Tyra doesn't show her real hair and says she is proud of her natural hair yet it's covered up and no one knows what it looks like?

Now if Mama O did this show I could see it getting through to black women.

Oh well she tried right?

I'm saying all of this and I haven't even seen the show.

She would...and after years of being natchal.... O is wearing HER OWN HAIR.

Tyra needs to think that over.

^ That means it's a confidence thing. rocking your natural hair is a bold thing to do especially when you know you're going to get a majority of negative comments from your own people. Tyra is probably proud of her hair but would never show it...maybe when she is AS successful as Oprah and her own boss then she will show her hair.

Oprah set a benchmark that is more than achievable.

Because of the industry. Plain and simple. She obviously doesn't think her hair is glamourous enough or professional looking to wear it out on her show everyday. Not to mention the fact it would be jacked up by the end of the season after all the styling and primping took place.

It may be the Tyra Banks show but she is not in control of everything. I really don't think the execs behind her show would allow her to do it. Oprah doesn't even wear a fro on her show why should we expect Tyra to? Just because my hair is natural, doesn't mean I have to wear a fro everyday. Or that I have to wear one at all. People probably think I'm bald too because I rarely wear my hair out. I'm not ashamed of it, I just don't have time and energy to deal with it most of the time. Wigs and pieces are easier for me. But you have to do what's best for you.

True indeed. I can understand that it's more protective to wear a weave than to manipulate the real hair on a daily basis. But why silky, straight weaves over curly, coily weaves (like Jill Scott, Erika Badu)? She's was going hard on the girl about her Hannah Montana wig when she herself rocks her own "Hannah Montana" wig. Tyra seemed on the show to be all about changing the mentality of "good hair" versus "bad hair" but doesn't appear to practice that in her public life.

I think Jill Scott's and Erika Badu's image is manufactured just like Beyonce's, Ashanti's and Keri Hilson's (however, being on indy labels allow for a bit more personal room) plus EB/JS image is also stereotyped for the type of music they make. The whole neo-soul/r&b genre (i.e. India Arie, Leela James, Ledisi, etc...) all with beautiful natural hair. I can't think of many mainstream artist on major labels with natural (or natural "looking") hair (including weaves). Alicia Keys did it for a minute when she came out (but then again she was on a new label which allowed for more personal choices, etc...)

Back on topic: sort of :grin:
I'm not going to knock anyone for what they decide to do with their hair. I like my hair straight but I don't have no were near the issues her guests had on the show...This is the reason why I dislike the relaxed/natural, good/bad hair debate...everyone thinks it's about self-image issues which is not the case for all people. I don't think my hair is bad, ugly etc...it's just my choice for the moment.

I don't think the purpose of her show was to change the mentality of good/bad hair, I think it was more of a platform to bring awareness to the issue.

Who am I to challenge what issue someone should practice in his/her public life? In my public life I have a straight weave but in my private life, I nurture my beautiful 4a/b hair....In my public life, I wear Bobbi Brown, MAC on my skin...in my private life, I swear by eye creams, spf 20, face creams, etc...to keep my skin healthy and youthful. I personally don't think it's that serious. I do however, this it's sad that those young girls already view "nappy" hair as bad hair. But as you can see they were only 3-8yo so our idea of what's pretty/ugly is formed before wayyyyy we find forums like LHCF to help us learn how to care/manage our hair whether (weaved, LF, natural, tex-laxed or relaxed)...I only hope that their mothers can work on developing and nurturing their daugthers self-esteem.

I was surprised at how thick and healthy Tyra's hair seemed in her cornrows. But I was kind of wondering if maybe she didn't add some weave in that too. Because IMO having her natural hair styled and hanging loose would have made her seem less hypocritical.

Don't get me wrong the braids were nice but I still would like to see her hair texture and to be able to really see whether it's as healthy and thick as it seemed.

good question...you ever seen Beyonce rocking her real do! Nope! For the same reasons Tyra isn't rocking hers....public perception...although on the other hand...maybe she is protecting her real hair from being fried from all the flat-ironing and what not they have to do before going on the show....hmmmm!!!!

Maybe I'm naive, but I think Tyra could rock her real, natural hair and wouldn't get a backlash. I remember in the 90s, around the same time Tyra was out, there were a couple of models that were rocking the fro. I think one was french, light-skinned, and named something like Crystal? You also have women of color sporting braids, dreads, straw sets, kinky twists, cornrows, etc. Hell, you see white women sporting some of those hairstyles.

Don't get me wrong, I like my wigs. Some of them are curly, some of them are straight, most of them are dark, but I have some that are dark with blonde highlights. I like variety. But if Tyra's going to go on tv and say she loves being natural, then maybe she should show it?

Personally, I can't wait till my twa grows into a baa so I can rock my twists and my crazy wigs, but that's just me.

It's way toooooo damaging. I don't care what type of hair you have, if I was famous and getting glammed up twice a day to be on camera. HELLLLLLLL no, you would never see my hair. Too much heat and constant manipulation = baldness. No thank you! Tyra's hair did look healthy in those canreows today though:yep:

lol @ people thinking rocking her natural hair out has to be a 'fro'

c'mon guys, she can still be glam without a lacefront for ONE DAY especially considering it was a show about people wearing their own hair, christ.

Maybe I'm naive, but I think Tyra could rock her real, natural hair and wouldn't get a backlash. I remember in the 90s, around the same time Tyra was out, there were a couple of models that were rocking the fro. I think one was french, light-skinned, and named something like Crystal? You also have women of color sporting braids, dreads, straw sets, kinky twists, cornrows, etc. Hell, you see white women sporting some of those hairstyles.

Don't get me wrong, I like my wigs. Some of them are curly, some of them are straight, most of them are dark, but I have some that are dark with blonde highlights. I like variety. But if Tyra's going to go on tv and say she loves being natural, then maybe she should show it?

Personally, I can't wait till my twa grows into a baa so I can rock my twists and my crazy wigs, but that's just me.

Not if your agency doesn't think that's the right "look" for you. Models don't get to pick how they look if they are under a contract. They can't make any changes without the agency's approval either. It's all about a look. Especially if they already have somebody who is doing the same thing with their agency. They don't want to have models with similar looks. I remember an agency telling one of the top model girls that on screen. That they already had a girl with a look similar to hers (brown skinned with a twa) so they probably wouldn't be interested in signing her at the time.

I think it's the Modeling industry. When you're in that business, you don't have complete control of how you look. Not even Tyra. You have to go along with what society deems beautiful for you. When tyra is working with her children's group, she wears her natural hair often. But look at America's Next Top Model. They always force the women to change to look the way society think they should, as a model. Not all of them want to, but they do, because they want to work.

It's just like last year, when Tyra was gaining weight. She quickly lost it, because she said that the Tyra Show told her that she better get that weight off now. Tyra is smart. She know what she have to do to get what she wants.

Back