So I found out some of my follicles on my temple area are dead

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I know this thread may get buried on another page soon so if you ladies have any questions you can tag me here, pm me or leave comments on the photobucket. I add descriptions under the pictures this morning. If i didn't get to answer a question, just PM me again, I've been trying to respond to everyone. I had a lot of PMs. I hope I didn't miss any of you, If so just PM me again, because I want to help everyone.

This is how my hair looks on a normal day. My hair was getting too long not to have temples. Everyone started asking, why I never where my hair off my face.

ChasingBliss

Wow, that's a real eye opener. I guess I wasnt fully aware that they'd have to shave a little more back from your hairline to begin the process. And there is clearly some down time. But the end results look so worth it. For me it's my left side, but I'm thinking now, to make it all even and pretty, they'd probably have to do a little filling in around all over the front...Well not the top front but the corners to the lower temples. I dunno.

Sorta like when I got my braces, I assumed it was just for my gap alone, but when I got my consultation, I was told I had a slight overbite and some crowding in my lower teeth, stuff I never really saw or realized. Anywho I digress. But I am so loving that there is a solution for this...I always suspected that my follicles were dead on that side but I'm going to go for a biopsy to see for sure. Then I will take it from there. In the mean time, I will continue my personal sulfur challange...which wil likely only grow the hair I already have longer and faster....not fill in a place that's been the same way for years.

growinghealthyhair

What type of doctor would I need to see to get a biopsy done?? I wish I knew about this back in april when i got those shots!!! I'm not sure if they helped at all. Only got them ONCE.

abcd09

What happened? I mean, what lead to the hair loss & follicle damage? Was it heat burn, chemical damage, or mechanical damage? Asking so that perhaps others may prevent this.
never pull your daughter's hair tight (or your own) mine occured in childhood. i never had the usual culprits- my mom did not use heat, i did not have a relaxer, and i never had extensions. lots of people blame rxtensions and relaxers, but in that case my mom did everything "right" and I still got it.

I was always "PS"ed...but my hair was always pulled tight. Sometimes it would hurt during class and I would rub my scalp which felt tender. I look at old family movies, and I can see it starting from the age of 3. My hair tangles easily and always had to be braided and stretched, and the fact that it was so fine meant hair line breakage, which meant fuzzy hairline mid-day at school, which meant tighter pulling and more blue magic grease with a bristle brush in the morning. Do that everyday for 10 years= traction alopecia no matter how much you dc etc. Call it the perfect storm lol. I used to be very angry with my mother as a teen for not recognizing it, but now I do not blame her anymore. I can't; it's not right or fair.

I'm not sure what style you can do for fine haired girls with weakening hair lines. Leaving it out means tangled mess, but stretching means damaged follicles :nono:

yodie

Anonymous1, is that you in the pic?

I have issues with my nape and edges. Let's say getting a transplant is an option, I can't take hair from my nape, so what would be the next best area?
I've never been able to wear a ponytail because of my nape.
Thanks for sharing. Just called my derm to schedule a scalp biopsy. Not sure why I did not do a scalp biopsy before.

naturalTAN

So what styles can you wear during the healing process?

I'm a fan of wigs, but would a wig resting on my temples or the donor part on my nape disturb anything during the grow out phase?

I think when I have this done, I will just rely on pretty, silk scarves for a year just to be on the safe side.

Beverly Ann Properties

Anonymous1, I have a lot of questions. I want to post on this thread so that everyone can read the questions and answers.
1. What type of doctor diagnoised you with dead follicules? Was it it the same doctor that performed the surgery?
2. Please post the Dr's information and his website, so that we can read the reviews.
3. The link posted stated the surgery was performed in July 2010, are these your photos?
4. Does your doctor perform free consultations and where is he located?
5. Is he board certified in this area?

My Friend

Anonymous1, I have a lot of questions. I want to post on this thread so that everyone can read the questions and answers.
1. What type of doctor diagnoised you with dead follicules? Was it it the same doctor that performed the surgery?
2. Please post the Dr's information and his website, so that we can read the reviews.
3. The link posted stated the surgery was performed in July 2010, are these your photos?
4. Does your doctor perform free consultations and where is he located?
5. Is he board certified in this area?

Bev,

I know you didn't ask me but :lachen:

A Derm is the Dr. that would diagnose dead follicles. My derm suggested this to me years ago. Some Derms will perform surgery others will not. You want to check to see how many they have performed, before and after pics, etc.

You also want to make sure you don't gave skin that will keloid. Do your wounds heal quickly? What about hyperpigmentation?

The site she listed was in the UK. Check with Dr.s in the major cities in your state. I'm sure L.A and NYC type cities have performed more of these procedures than nowhere, Oklahoma.

As with any Dr. Check with the Medical board to see if they have any lawsuits against them.

Only a Dr. can perform surgery.

Top Docs rarely give FREE consultations. Their time is too valuable. You may have to pay a fee that would go towards your procedure if you decide to do it.
If they don't charge a fee, it doesn't mean they are not good at what they do.

If you have insurance diagnostic treatment may be covered. You first need to see a derma to rule out anything else. Then he has to do a biopsy. Then you can choose to have elective surgery which is not covered by insurance.

Ladies keep in mind this is SURGERY. All the same risks apply.

HTH

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
Anonymous1, is that you in the pic?

I have issues with my nape and edges. Let's say getting a transplant is an option, I can't take hair from my nape, so what would be the next best area?
I've never been able to wear a ponytail because of my nape.
Thanks for sharing. Just called my derm to schedule a scalp biopsy. Not sure why I did not do a scalp biopsy before.

That's not me in the link that's posted in this thread. They took hair from a little above my nape but they can pretty much take hair from anywhere and transplant one.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
So what styles can you wear during the healing process?

I'm a fan of wigs, but would a wig resting on my temples or the donor part on my nape disturb anything during the grow out phase?

I think when I have this done, I will just rely on pretty, silk scarves for a year just to be on the safe side.

I'm wearing my hair just like any other day. I can wear a ponytail and do the side sweep like normal. I just don't comb the temple area. My scalp is still numb there. It's only going to take a week until I'm able to wash my hair like any normal day. Now I just have to pat the temple area because I don't want to pull any of the grafts out.

The doctor told me it was okay to wear a headband. I wore a braid out the other day with a silk headband on top. He said it takes about 24 hours for the grafts to lock in but a full week for them to really settle.

MochaRose

I joined the site just to subscribe to this thread since I'm having a similar problem due to a medical condition. My temple area is getting thin but not severely so, at least not yet. This is such good info to have if I ever decide to take this route in the future. Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I joined the site just to subscribe to this thread since I'm having a similar problem due to a medical condition. My temple area is getting thin but not severely so, at least not yet. This is such good info to have if I ever decide to take this route in the future. Thank you for sharing!

Have you talked to a dermatologist? They maybe able to help you. This surgery is more like that last thing to try. Let me know if you have any questions and welcome aboard.

RODI

I have research and is leaning towards Dr. Jeffery Epstein in Miami Fl. He was featured once in Essence. I visited him once back in 2006 but because of the lack of funds I have not been able to get the procedure done.

Thanks OP for sharing.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
**A little Update**

I woke up this morning and yesterday morning with a slightly swollen eye and forehead. I guess during the middle of the night, I rolled off of my back. I was advised to sleep on my back for 5-7 days to keep the fluids from going to my face. I called the doc and he said it should go down by then end of the day. Tomorrow will be one week since the procedure.

MrsMe

Thank you for the update Anonymous1! It's good to hear about all the good and bad effects of the surgery even the minimal ones. My sister's forehead was a little bit swollen but nothing major and it went down within hours. Get plenty of rest and take care of yourself so you can swing those edges, :lol:

Sent from my PG86100

naturalnikki

This post means a lot to me. I hope I can help at least one person. Some people in my real life think I am too sensitive but until you have been in my position, they couldn't imagine how it feels to be a woman who can't do a style as simple as a ponytail. So thank you. I will track my progress every month. I have some pics up so PM me anyone if you want the link. I don't want to put my pics on the public forum just yet.

I defintely know how that feels. I couldn't wear really any kind of updo if I wanted to. I can't wear most styles without altering it in some kind of way to hide my sides. That hair has been gone for as long as I can remember. I'd love to see your progess if you're willing to share. I'm 24 and I'd love to be able to have hair again. My mom is also interested in having the transplant done. We have the same hair loss.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I got my stitches removed today and I got the all clear. The swelling is gone. I'm transitioning but if any relaxed ladies are thinking about this, my doc advised not to relax the transplanted hair for 6 months.

Juicyt72

I received two “free” consultations in NYC today for hair transplant of my edges that look very similar to Naomi Campbell’s damaged hair (bald spots that haven’t grown in years). I’ve already tried several oil and natural treatments to no avail. The 1st doctor was Dr. Robert Gorin at 360 Lexington Ave Rm 1102 (212) 826-2525, http://www.truedorin.com. He explained the process very similar to what the original post mentioned. I liked him because he had a few before and after pictures of African American women he completed with similar hairline issues and the results were amazing. The fees he gave were from $7200-$9000 depending on the amount of hair follicles he used. He also required a 20% down payment upon scheduling the 1 day surgery and the balance could be financed with “Care Credit” upon approval. The doctor also wanted updated HIV and Hepatitis B and C blood work.

The 2nd doctor was Dr. Thomas Law at 103 E. 86th Street (212) 535-1600 www.hairrestorationnyc.com, who didn’t have any pictures of his work related to African American women but he reported he has done many over his 19 years of experience. His fee was $7500 with 100% financing available with “Chase Health Advance” upon approval. Both doctors stated the surgery would take 7-8 hours and your hair would be tender for the 1st 10 days. There are several doctors in the NYC area but these two stood out for me upon completing my research. I am going to invest in the procedure in Jan 2012 and will submit before and after photos. Thanks again to the original post “Anonymous1” for sharing her story. Good luck to those who decide to go this route.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
^^Congrats on your decision. I had to have the HIV test too. I don't know if they do it if i comes back positive. I got tested for Thyroid issues as well.

Update**I'm dealing with something called shock hair loss. The little amount of hair that was on my temple area has fallen out. It will all grow back and I was warned about this but I'm a little frustrated right now. It takes about 7-8 weeks to start filling in. I guess I'm getting anxious.

QBOE2001

As a sidebar, I remember On jon and kate plus 8 they aired an episode where jon recieved hair transplants. I remember watching it and they showed alot of the actual procedure being done. Perhaps those of you who are considering this procedure could watch the episode in question using a service like hulu. It was season 3 episode 25 (i think). Maybe that will answer some of your questions.

starfish79

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but emu oil is supposed to be good at stimulating hair follicles. Give that a try with a copper peptide hair growth product.

Copper peptides increasie follicle cell proliferation and follicle size; and copper also decreases programmed follicle cell death, which results in smaller follicles. Research has also shown that emu oil can get hair follicles going to the point that it can even wake up dormant ones.

Good luck!