SHOULDER LENGTH 2011 CHALLENGE!

TLC1020

What is your current length?
Bc'd in March so my hair has various lengths

What is your goal date to make SL?
December 2011 is my goal for sl but hoping to make it sooner

Relaxed/natural/texlaxed/transitioning?
Relaxed

How do you plan on getting to SL? (ie. Protective styling, no heat, stretching relaxers, growth aids, etc)
Right now wearing braids to get me over the hump. Since my hair is so short braids allow me to stretch my relaxers longer than 12 weeks, previous braids I went 20 weeks (5mths), I plan on getting them re-braided around the hairline at 20 weeks in December....

Whats your long term length goal?
Long term goal is Healthy, thick mbl..

Why is your hair currently short?
Iron level was really low and my hair strands begin to shedding from the root non-stop. My ends kept looking see-thru so I kept clipping but that didn't stop the ends from being see-thru b/c my hair continue to shed. Finally diagnosed with extremely low iron count and prescribed iron supplements. I bc'd in March 2010 to start over......and here I am reaching for sl again ....

Attachments

• 9 20 10c.jpg
    9 20 10c.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

faithVA

I would like to join. I could use some motivation. Haven't been on the board for a while.

NL with natural layers.

Hopefully by my birthday in April.

Natural

How do you plan on getting to SL? (ie. Protective styling, no heat, stretching relaxers, growth aids, etc)
I don't really have any idea at the moment. I haven't found any styles that work for me at the moment. And I am still trying to get my regimen together.

BSL. My hair doesn't hang so I would need that much to look like I have some length.

My hair is currently in braids. I will post a new pic when I take them out this month.

Why is your hair currently short?
I have always worn my hair short since I've been natural. I shaved it off in January of 2009 and now letting it grow. I have never been SL since natural but my hair was SL when relaxed.

cadi

am thinking of starting sulfur what do u think? i don't want to do lots of things but im dying to grow my hair long so i thought i could get more length from the sulfur am planning on buying sulfur 8 now then order beemine coz it will take around 10 days to arrive is sulfur 8 as good as beemine for growth? knowing that am using ceramide oils now. i think i need some help with my regimin:
cowash daily (or every other day)
DC under steamer weekly
henna 2xmonth
hair mask (giannini, redken, herbal essance or what every available)after each wash
rose merry rinse after each wash
moist and seal 2xday
prepoo with rice bran oil or mustard and coconut oil (just started) when ever i feel to do so

so do u think there is a place for sulfur? of yes and i take biotin daily started 12 Nov.

lovely_locks

I use beemine and i apply it after my cowash. Sulfer is drying so its easier to reach my scalp with out putting so much on my hair.

Missjae09

Your hair story sounds very similar to mine! growing up my hair was around shoulder length but I started cutting my hair in my early teens and when I called myself "growing it out" I never let it get past a chin length bob. When I was relaxed my hair would break off for no apparent reason and I would just cut it all off again, which was fine with me because I love short hair anyway.

I'm not officially in this challenge (got over challenged this year! rookie mistake i guess) but I will definitely be "subing" to this and growing along with you ladies. I'm natural and i'm currently neck length. I was hoping to be SL by now. I don't really have a limit but I would love to see my hair at MBL!

Let me answer my own questions!

My hair has always been relatively short. In grade school, my hair was generally always around SL (which is referred to by my family as "back when my hair was long", lol), but never any longer. Then in late high school/college, with traveling for internships/school, it pretty much stayed layered neck length.

I have been on LHCF since forever, and as embarassing as it sounds, I swear this is like my 5th SL Challenge. :blush: I think the main reasons I haven't made it is bc I wasn't willing to sacrifice style and refused to give up heat/chemicals (not saying everyone has to give up heat or chemicals to grow their hair but I think that is the reality for ME). the closest I've came recently was back in 08, I was layered SL. I was wearing my hair out every single day and abusing heat, so it only lasted a few months.

So while I will be excited to make SL, I will be SUPERexcited to make APL, bc my hair has never been that long before. I truly believe EVERYONE can have long hair, some of us just have to sacrifice more to get it.

Imani

thanks, i might order it this month , have u seen any progress out of it??

Cadi, I know everyone says sulfur is drying, but in my experience it hasn't been. I'm weird like that though, my hair never responds to things the same way it does for everyone else. I used MTG back in the day and I don't recall it ever drying my hair out. I'm currently using BeeMine serum and it doesn't dry my hair out either.

When my hair grew out pretty nicely a couple of years ago I think part of it was bc of the mtg I was using.

The first pic is around Christmas 06, its kinda combed over, but I had like 2 inches of hair across the middle of my head, it had all just snapped off. And it would do this every single year in this same spot.

The second pic is about 1 year later, and the third pic is about a year and half later. I'd had several trims over this time, some for necessity and some from stupid stylists. But u can see that spot grew out and thickened up.

Attachments

• breakage.jpg
    breakage.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_0700.jpg
    100_0700.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 55
  • summer08.jpg
    summer08.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

Imani

Bc'd in March so my hair has various lengths

December 2011 is my goal for sl but hoping to make it sooner than that

Relaxed

Right now wearing braids to get me over the hump. Since my hair is so short braids allow me to stretch my relaxers longer than 12 weeks, previous braids I went 20 weeks (5mths), this time I may go 7 mths. I plan on getting them re-braided around the hairline at 20 weeks....

Long term goal is Healthy, thick mbl..

Your hair is sooo thick. I love it.

Imani

Your hair story sounds very similar to mine! growing up my hair was around shoulder length but I started cutting my hair in my early teens and when I called myself "growing it out" I never let it get past a chin length bob. When I was relaxed my hair would break off for no apparent reason and I would just cut it all off again, which was fine with me because I love short hair anyway.

I'm not officially in this challenge (got over challenged this year! rookie mistake i guess) but I will definitely be "subing" to this and growing along with you ladies. I'm natural and i'm currently neck length. I was hoping to be SL by now. I don't really have a limit but I would love to see my hair at MBL!

This is how I was, I kept a fly cut and style. Mine would break off too, and i'd just get it cut in some cute layers again. I never was like super serious about growing my hair bc I don't mind having short hair, many people have said it suits me. My layered cut and feathers was like my signature style, people would see me from afar and say they recognized me bc of my hair, lol.

But I guess it kinda bothered me that even tho I liked short hair, it wasn't necessarily by choice bc my cuts were always forced due to breakage. I didn't like that it seemed like long hair wasn't an option for me, so now I want to do it just to prove to myself that its possible.

Last edited:

Imani

I straightened just the front of my hair to wear with a straight half wig to attend a professional conference. Some pieces on the side are are like brushing my collarbone! I haven't worn my hair straight in a couple of months now (which is a long time for me, a recovering heat addict) so I was like wow, is that my hair, it looks so long. I can't wait til February to see how long the rest of it is.

asakeba

I'm currently neck length, but the hair at my nape is thin and see through. I need the middle parts of my hair to catch up to give the appearance of length.

My hair grows slow so I'll say December 2011

I'm texlaxed

I'll probably use a wig as a P/S, definitely stretch my relaxer and maybe braid every now and then

I'm setting a realistic target of a little past SL, anything more than that would make me very happy.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I'm so in this!!! :) I have another 2 or 3 inches to go, I think.

Neck length

May 2011 (I'm not going to fret too much if I don't make it on my 1 year post relaxer but it would be nice.)

Finally natural :)

Full WL

Last edited:

cadi

Imani thanks for the information ill order beemine and ill go to this lady that sells black hair care products to by sulfur 8 to use untill i get my beemine although this lady is awful can u imagine that she told me my hair will never grow long because am black and not mixed so my hair is meant to be short and will never grow no mattar what i use :(

am following a low manibulation method but because i cowash daily i find it hard not to comb my hair after washing i don't know what to do ave never had tangles before but now whenever i wash my hair it just hug each other tightly what should i do do u think its ok to comb my wet hair every day with wide tooth wood comb??

Imani

Imani thanks for the information ill order beemine and ill go to this lady that sells black hair care products to by sulfur 8 to use untill i get my beemine although this lady is awful can u imagine that she told me my hair will never grow long because am black and not mixed so my hair is meant to be short and will never grow no mattar what i use :(

am following a low manibulation method but because i cowash daily i find it hard not to comb my hair after washing i don't know what to do ave never had tangles before but now whenever i wash my hair it just hug each other tightly what should i do do u think its ok to comb my wet hair every day with wide tooth wood comb??

I cant really comment on daily co-washing bc I've never done it before. I only wash and comb my hair once a week. Maybe u can cowash it while its twisted/braided? IDK, maybe some of the other ladies can chime it who cowash.

oh, and please ignore that lady's ignorance. Luckily you have this site and you know thats not true at all. Everybody's hair can grow long, u just have to figure out the techniques that work for you.

Imani

Immani (sp) your hair is soo shiney in those thumbnails. r u using a serum or wht?

I used to get clear rinses a lot for shine. And also moisturize and seal with kemi oyl. and yes, maybe a little bit of some sort of serum, I've used several over the years, Proclaim, Keracare Silken seal, and Design Essentials Silk essentials.

I haven't gotten a rinse lately bc I feel like it would be a waste of money since I don't wear my hair out much right now. I may start getting them again whenever I start wearing my hair out more.

JJamiah

I am wishing all the ladies of SL 2011 luck, I can't wait to see the ending results :) (I will be :eye: looking :D ) and rooting you on from the sidelines :)

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Checking in. These 4 inches are highly annoying to work with. Too short for some styles and too long for other--the dreaded in between phase. The only thing I can do at the moment is 2 strand twists. I'm trying to do finger coils but can't to save my life. Contemplating a wig...but I hate the I have a hat on my head feeling.

nkb115

Not exactly sure but probably alittle longer than NL

July 2011

Natural

I co wash every week, oil my scalp with castor oil after each wash and than cornrow it for the week and wear a lace front. I don't use any direct heat and I try to keep my hands out of my hair. Hopefully this will get me too my goal sooner rather than later.

Healthy, thick WL hair

cadi

Imani your hair is soooooo nice i can't wait to see my problem area thikin like yours emmm so its possible ha
what is a rinse ?
luckly i found a web site located at uk that do beemine so ive ordered one and i should recieve it with in three days no need to go to that lady any more

Imani

Imani your hair is soooooo nice i can't wait to see my problem area thikin like yours emmm so its possible ha
what is a rinse ?
luckly i found a web site located at uk that do beemine so ive ordered one and i should recieve it with in three days no need to go to that lady any more

A rinse is a semi-permanent hair color. it washes out after about 6 weeks or so. It will not change the color of your hair, but give it a tint. They also add shine. So if you don't want the color, but want the shine, you can get a clear rinse. Sometimes I also get dark brown rinses bc my hair turns red and dull looking in the summer from sun exposure. The brown rinse makes it appear darker and more rich.

Make sure to do a skin test with the bee mine serum before applying it to make sure your skin doesn't react negatively to sulfur.

Last edited:

ZeeontheGrow

Hi all! Could I join? I've been a member of LHCF for some time...done lots of research, know what I need to do, but continue to do all the wrong things.:perplexed I grew out a short pixie cut from June 09 to the length its at now.. but haven't seemed to make it past that. I've been working on a regi the past month, and taking better care of my hair. My starting pic was taken yesterday (12/11/10) -- fresh relaxer after a 12 week stretch.

Neck length.

June 2011

Relaxed

Minimal heat/low manipulation. Rollersets and buns. Stretch to at least 12 weeks. I've got a couple half wigs but haven't had the guts to wear any out yet. Multivitamin and lots of water.

APL-ish? We'll see when I get there

Attachments

• 121110hair11.jpg
    121110hair11.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 46

Freespirit02

A few inches below earlength..but layered

Sept-oct of 2011

natural

Biotin..moisture and seal with crisco..lol. Low manipulation..that's pretty much it.

Whats your long term length goal? As long as it will grow.

Yes this is intentional length..i just bced in june.

cadi

A rinse is a semi-permanent hair color. it washes out after about 6 weeks or so. It will not change the color of your hair, but give it a tint. They also add shine. So if you don't want the color, but want the shine, you can get a clear rinse. Sometimes I also get dark brown rinses bc my hair turns red and dull looking in the summer from sun exposure. The brown rinse makes it appear darker and more rich.

Make sure to do a skin test with the bee mine serum before applying it to make sure your skin doesn't react negatively to sulfur.

Thanks Imani
i just wanted to tell you ladies that im loving the bran rice oil my hair feels soft and smooth and the comb glide soooooooo easily i think this will be a stable.
the hempseed am using it for sealing only so ill wait and see on 11th of Jan which is when i measure my hair (every two months

lovely_locks

Just checking in. I have no set backs to report, i'm just trying to work with this major mullet I have. My mullet is bad! It's hard to hide. My longest layers in the back touch my neck, and the shortest part in the front touch my eyebrow's......yeah....I've also found a new product Hawaiian silky 14 in 1. I have been using this product everyday. How is everyone else fairing?

Imani

Everything's going cool. Trying to find time to work on making a new halfwig with some hair I just bought. Here it is Thursday and I been procrastinating! Wanted to wear it this weekend. I have just been going thru some stuff this week. Its all good, tho. Maybe I'll pull an all nighter and get it done tonight.

All of ya'll who plan on straightening or doing length checks year end, don't forget to come in here and post!!!

Rossy2010

@Imani your hair is soooo beautiful. I think you will be SL come feb if that pic is from Dec.
I still following my regime and waiting for my sulfur which is taking extra long.

Imani

@Imani your hair is soooo beautiful. I think you will be SL come feb if that pic is from Dec.
I still following my regime and waiting for my sulfur which is taking extra long.

Thank you! If u are talking about the thumbnail pics where I was talking about the sulfur progress that was from a few years ago.

The pic in the OP is about the length I am now, it was taken September of this year.

Imani

Just checking in. I have no set backs to report, i'm just trying to work with this major mullet I have. My mullet is bad! It's hard to hide. My longest layers in the back touch my neck, and the shortest part in the front touch my eyebrow's......yeah....I've also found a new product Hawaiian silky 14 in 1. I have been using this product everyday. How is everyone else fairing?

I've had heavily layered hair before, so I sooo understand. it can be a pain! and I ALWAYS end up with that mullet look. I hate that! Just gotta have patience, trust me they'll grow out before u know it. Just don't let some crazed stylist cut them back in, they love to keep ur growth stagnant if u have layers.