Should we be using Nioxin and DHT Blocking Products?

chayil0427

I notice a lot of ladies who use Nioxin. I was wondering if if really helps to use a product made to block the chemical DHT in those who are balding. We're not ... well ... balding. Our hair grows (maybe not fast enough for us but it does grow). Soooooo....why use products for those suffering hair loss? Personally I feel it might be better to focus on maintaining length because if you're needing touch ups your hair is growing.

There are other products made to help with traction baldness and the thinning that comes from abusing your hair and scalp, but to my knowledge Nioxin is not made for that, but for hereditary alopecia. Yet, I'm not an expert on that so fill me in on Nioxin and other related topical hair growth products and let me know what you ladies think.

Chayil

chayil0427

Hmm...Nioxin's website makes this statement:

With 8 Nioxin® Thinning Hair Systems, Intensive Therapy™, and styling lines Volumizing Reflectives™ and Smoothing Reflectives™— all are designed as a process to create and maintain an optimum scalp environment for all hair textures. The Nioxin daily care regimen is a process that addresses the problems associated with thin-looking hair, including hair loss through mechanical breakage, which leads to fine, fragile, thin-looking hair.

So are there products more diverse than just items made for hereditary balding?

Blu217

I was using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner because I am going thru hereditary thinning.

I don't know that it helped. I do know that it is very drying after a while, and I'm not sure why you'd want to use their topical products if you aren't having a follicular emergency.

I just switched to NTM because my hair became dry and continued to come out anyway. It did give me thicker-looking hair, like Pantene's Full & Thick, and for a while I liked how my hair felt. But I wouldn't use it if I wasn't thinning.

The vitamins are great for growth tho. I take two a day along with other vits and MSM, and the hair I DO have grows like gangbusters.

vickid

My derm says that over a lifetime, a woman will lose 35% of her hair just based on "normal" aging and with the usual useage of styling products-YIKES! She swears that with the introduction of chemicals, stress, traction, etc., that percentage goes up. With all that said, products like Nioxin and any minimal use of a DHT blocker wouldnt hurt. (I don't think!)

Radianthealth

From what I understand Nioxin is a more "natural" alternative than Rogaine, I use Nioxin with ORS Fertilizing serum I believe both have DHT blockers. They have been effective in helping with my traction alopecia...though both claim to be natural I only use them on my hairline...just to be safe:sekret:

Iluvsmuhgrass

trimbride said:
From what I understand Nioxin is a more "natural" alternative than Rogaine, I use Nioxin with ORS Fertilizing serum I believe both have DHT blockers. They have been effective in helping with my traction alopecia...though both claim to be natural I only use them on my hairline...just to be safe:sekret:

How's that working for you?

vickid

This thread started me to again think about fighting DHT so I called my derm and talked to her nurse. She said there are only 3 "medically proven" fighters of DHT--Finasteride (women should not use), oral spironolactone (I take 75mg/dy-men shouldn't use) and topical Azelaic Acid (most effective). She said the jury is still out on saw palmetto. I asked about Nioxin-she said the amount of DHT fighter is almost negligible but it was a good product to use for scalp stimulation. She said another good DHT blocker is a mix of topical spironolactone and 5% Rogaine (expensive and hard to get). I tried the topical Azelaic Acid but it flaked and "gunked up" in my hair. But, it made the hair grow back in bald areas PDQ!