Should I Use My Aphogee Two Step?

overtherainbow

I know their are tons of threads on this but I'm still unsure if my hair really needs it.

-I've been over styling my hair due to events and getting a little more breakage and knots
-the front of my hair is color treated (growing out golden bronzeish highlights) and last night I noticed my hair was sticking together.
-I HAVE to use some sort of protein every wash or else my hair would stick together and become a little gummy.

My hair isn't super gummy, but too soft and moisturized for comfort. I noticed quite a few short pieces in my shed hair these past three washes. Sometimes I can fix these with my JBCO DC, but I'm worried that it won't be strong enough.
If I try this first, and it doesn't work, would I be able to use aphogee in a couple of weeks or should I just start with the aphogee?
I am worried about protein overload!!

Am I reading this right that you use protein with EVERY wash?. How often are you washing? What type of protein and you also use moisturizing conditioners as well?

Let me understand this before I answer your question. Also, are you fine, medium or coarse haired?

Just in case I don't see your answer, I recommend reading Protein 101. This might help you decide what products you need. http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ie/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html

Aphogee 2 step but don't let it it get very hard maybe. I used the jbco dc and it never did much for me as far as protein goes. Do you have coarse hair? Is that why your are protein sensitive?

I would use it. I use protein every single wash day and I do the Aphogee 2 step...yes the 2 step not the 2 minute... every other week. My hair loves protein and I've decided that this is the best regimen for my hair to thrive. When I'm being lazy I mix it with something like Joico Kpak or OGX biotin and collagen or I don't sit under the dryer. When I stop weekly protein I start seeing little broken hairs all over.

Aphogee 2 step but don't let it it get very hard maybe. I used the jbco dc and it never did much for me as far as protein goes. Do you have coarse hair? Is that why your are protein sensitive?
I used to be protein sensitive, but hair went through major changes in textures and likes/dislikes. I use joico moisture conditioner which includes hydrolyzed keratin (or maybe soy?) To help with my elasticity because my hair is porous. It was working until I started washing my hair more and styling more with strictly moisturizing products to keep up with weddings, parties, get togeters, ect.

Am I reading this right that you use protein with EVERY wash?. How often are you washing? What type of protein and you also use moisturizing conditioners as well?

Let me understand this before I answer your question. Also, are you fine, medium or coarse haired?

Just in case I don't see your answer, I recommend reading Protein 101. This might help you decide what products you need. http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ie/2015/10/protein-101-lots-of-basic-information.html
I use a very light protein of some sort every wash because I have naturally hi po hair. I am 4a and 3c at the moment and my hair now loves protein. When I first started my HHJ, I had type 4 hair. My hair is course and high density. I wash at least weekly and may Cowash in between.
I use light proteins that contain hydrolyzed collagen, vegetable protein and keratin.
Thanks!

Trim your hair and apply a moisturizing treatment(no protein). Your moisture protein balance is off. You are using wayyyy too much protein.
Moisturizing conditioners is how my hair lost some elasticity in the first place. Last week, I used only moisturizing products because I was traveling and my hair was overly moisturized and soft. Protein helps counteract that. I guess my question really is, is the 2 step too strong? I am worried about over correction :/

I used to be protein sensitive, but hair went through major changes in textures and likes/dislikes. I use joico moisture conditioner which includes hydrolyzed keratin (or maybe soy?) To help with my elasticity because my hair is porous. It was working until I started washing my hair more and styling more with strictly moisturizing products to keep up with weddings, parties, get togeters, ect.

Oh then if your not protein sensitive go ahead and use it you should have no problem. I currently use Komaza Protein(med)/SSI(light?) okra every 3-4 days and my hair is fine.

I would use it. I use protein every single wash day and I do the Aphogee 2 step...yes the 2 step not the 2 minute... every other week. My hair loves protein and I've decided that this is the best regimen for my hair to thrive. When I'm being lazy I mix it with something like Joico Kpak or OGX biotin and collagen or I don't sit under the dryer. When I stop weekly protein I start seeing little broken hairs all over.
It sounds like we have similar hair types! I used to never use protein until my texture changed randomly so I know absolutely nothing about it. Now I have to use it every wash, or else. I'm going to try the Kpak first because joico products work wonders for me. I also feel like I may be overacting because I went to seeing hardly no breakage (I count about 4 pieces per week) to holy batman, is that 15 broken ends?!?!

It sounds like we have similar hair types! I used to never use protein until my texture changed randomly so I know absolutely nothing about it. Now I have to use it every wash, or else. I'm going to try the Kpak first because joico products work wonders for me. I also feel like I may be overacting because I went to seeing hardly no breakage (I count about 4 pieces per week) to holy batman, is that 15 broken ends?!?!
I say get it under control before it gets to be too much and then you have a major setback. You are definitely on your way to moisture overload. I would say rotate as needed between a light-medium protein and a hard protein if you know your hair needs/loves protein. Just listen to your hair.

I use a very light protein of some sort every wash because I have naturally hi po hair. I am 4a and 3c at the moment and my hair now loves protein. When I first started my HHJ, I had type 4 hair. My hair is course and high density. I wash at least weekly and may Cowash in between.
I use light proteins that contain hydrolyzed collagen, vegetable protein and keratin.
Thanks!

As you can see in my signature, we have similar hair except you have coarse hair. My hair loves protein but I have fine hair/high porosity. Yes, I use it weekly and I do strong protein every 4-5 weeks.

However, I linked that article because it also talks about when and when NOT to use proteins. One thing she pointed out was if your hair felt sticky or gummy, you might need to back off of the protein just a little. Maybe skip a week or two and use a moisture only routine a few times in between.

Since you are also high porosity, if you feel you MUST use protein maybe try using a conditioner that uses smaller proteins like amino acids (silk amino acids) or even cycle in a few non protein conditioner sessions. Definitely do not layer protein products, so don't use a shampoo, conditioner AND leave in with protein all in the same session. Try picking just one for each wash session.

I wouldn't suggest going with Aphrogee 2 Step.

Update:
So after a mini spontaneous vacation last night, I finally had the time to tackle my hair. I did not have the time to buy any new products so I worked wih what I had. And I only had 1.5 hours before a lunch date with my SIL.
I prepooed with VO5 and sectioned my hair in 4 twists. I shampooed with SM Moisture retention because it does not contain any protein. I really wanted to control the amount of protein that I put in my hair today. I towel dried my hair to prevent my porous ends from getting soggy and mixed up 4oz of OGX argon oil mask with 1.5 oz of step 1 of Aphogee 2 step. Slapped it in my hair, making 8 twists and conditioned under a cap and beanie for 20 mins (after about 90% of the product was absorbed.

I then put my hair in chuncky twists and will not undo them until next weekend because my hair needs a break. Between two weddings (a friend's and my own )constant traveling and OT at work, my hair was crying y'all.

This treatment really worked. My hair seems to have a great balance of protein and moisture and I noticed much fewer small ends. Will post pics in a little bit!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went with my gut (and majority of the posters) and decided the aphogee process would be waaaay too strong. Diluting it gave me the perfect amount of protein.

Attachments

• 20160410_132020.jpg
    20160410_132020.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 19
Back