short terminal hair length.. my bad

Krystle~Hime

I have the same length for 4 years... with every vitamins, protective styles, the great retention method.. there is no soucy about GROWTH.
i Can retain length but not for a long time..

you may think i'm doing something wrong ..
protective style 24/7. hair care once every to every to week, moistuzing every to every other day, and I don't forget protein/moisture balance, porosity control. I also don't miss the ends, and i'm not a product junky, i have my staple products and healthy hair (it used to be weak, fine, low density. Now it's stronger, thick and nice density, shiny hair).

So i seriously think it's terminal length but im so sad that it's a SHORT length : collarbone length approx. :sad:

my solution is to loc my hair : the shed hair will create the length. but i would like to know from all LHCF ladies, if IS IT POSSIBLE to increase this terminal length :( ??????????????? i wanted to prove it was possible to have long african hair and now i want to hide myself..

ceecy29

I have the same length for 4 years... with every vitamins, protective styles, the great retention method.. there is no soucy about GROWTH.

protective style 24/7. hair care once every to every to week, moistuzing every to every other day, and I don't forget protein/moisture balance, porosity control. I also don't miss the ends, and i'm not a product junky, i have my staple products and healthy hair (it used to be weak, fine, low density. Now it's stronger, thick and nice density, shiny hair).

So i seriously think it's terminal length but im so sad that it's a SHORT length : collarbone length approx. :sad:

my solution is to loc my hair : the shed hair will create the length. but i would like to know from all LHCF ladies, if IS IT POSSIBLE to increase this terminal length :( ??????????????? i wanted to prove it was possible to have long african hair and now i want to hide myself..

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I have a quick question, I know you said your length has been stagnant for 4 years but have you had the same regimen for 4 years?

Leesh

Oh Boy, I feel so bad for you! I don't have any great input at this very moment, but you sound very knowledgable about your hair, you mentioned everything that you should be doing, which leaves not much to input except maybe, it could be a health issue, and seeing a Doctor could help, or even eliminate the possibility or it could be ingredients? I know some women here don't mind using certain ingredients, and although you get immediate gratification from some, eventually it catches up to you, That may be something to look into.
I wish you the best :rolleyes:, and if I can come up with something, I'll be sure to come back in.

Krystle~Hime

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. I have a quick question, I know you said your length has been stagnant for 4 years but have you had the same regimen for 4 years?

no! the first 2 years i wasn't in a healthy hair journey, but the last 2 years, my regimen improve TOTALLY the condition of my hair.
my hair used to break so bad, was so weak like i said in the 1st post.
since, my hair is like my avi. THICK, shiny, stronger strands, i gain density, and it's never dry.

remnant

have you check your iron level I don't think it is your terminal lenght
it can be an internal issue :yep:

rochieshi

I know how you feel,sooo try something different,mabey your hair do not like protective style,change it up let It down,I started using s curl moisturizer gray bottle with blue writing, everbody on the hair boards talked about using the blue and white bottle It made my hair drry,but not the gray one then I seal with Jojoba oil on the ends,HEAVEN, another thing stop and listen to what your hair needs.HHJ:yep:

remnant

no! the first 2 years i wasn't in a healthy hair journey, but the last 2 years, my regimen improve TOTALLY the condition of my hair.
my hair used to break so bad, was so weak like i said in the 1st post.
since, my hair is like my avi. THICK, shiny, stronger strands, i gain density, and it's never dry.

It is definetely not enough to affirm that it can't grow trust me I had the same problem

destine2grow

i have low iron and my hair hasnt grown much due to my iron and hands in my hair syndrome.(i'm working on this one)

jerseygurl

Not a new member
Can you tell us what your regimen is like and the products you use? I don't believe that collar bone is your terminal length, there might be something else going on. Maybe your hair is the type that gains health before length IDK.

Evolving78

sounds more internal. how is your diet? do you drink plenty of water, eat fruits and veggie, are you a smoker, do you take vitamins, do you have a lot of stress in your life, do you have any medical issues, do you take meds, etc....

you don't have to respond, but if you are lack in some of these areas, that could be your problem and answer right there. i hope this helps. don't feel bad, maybe your hair doesn't care for protective styles all of the time.

Krystle~Hime

Oh Boy, I feel so bad for you! I don't have any great input at this very moment, but you sound very knowledgable about your hair, you mentioned everything that you should be doing, which leaves not much to input except maybe, it could be a health issue, and seeing a Doctor could help, or even eliminate the possibility or it could be ingredients? I know some women here don't mind using certain ingredients, and although you get immediate gratification from some, eventually it catches up to you, That may be something to look into.
I wish you the best :rolleyes:, and if I can come up with something, I'll be sure to come back in.

thanks a lot for your sympathy :yawn:
you're right, I know today wats my hair like or do not.
(glycerin, coconut are a big no no no . but, cationic quaternary compounds like BTMS or cetrimonium bromide/chloride it luuuuuuuvs it, my fine hair also luvs protein by hydrolysed form and ceramides.

mmmmh... about health issues, i used to suffer about anemia, but its solved since last summer (medical analysis done every 2 months)

Tiye

If that's your hair in your avatar - then I see a big afro - not short hair. It looks very thick and healthy. I think you may be comparing your hair to others with different hair types than yours. You should look for people with hair that's like yours to get an idea of what it looks like as it grows.

Locked hair is not all shed hair - there is rooted hair in there too. You can either grow locks or if you want to keep your hair loose then try braiding your hair without extensions. Take the braids down every 2-3 months and re-do them. There's a poster here called Nonie who's accumulated quite a bit of length this way. I think she re-braids her hair in sections instead of taking it all out at once. Search the board for her username to find out about her regimen.

Leesh

thanks a lot for your sympathy :yawn:
you're right, I know today wats my hair like or do not.
(glycerin, coconut are a big no no no . but, cationic quaternary compounds like BTMS or cetrimonium bromide/chloride it luuuuuuuvs it, my fine hair also luvs protein by hydrolysed form and ceramides.

mmmmh... about health issues, i used to suffer about anemia, but its solved since last summer (medical analysis done every 2 months)

Krystle~Hime, You really know your stuff! :lol:

Ok, How about Petroleum derivatives, Mineral Oil (which also has other names), Petrolatum, Lanolin?

lushcoils

What's your trimming schedule like? Are you sure isn't splitting and then breaking off? Have you been measuring all parts of your head for the past 4 years? For some reason, the hair around my hairline and nape seem to struggle with retaining length, so if I based my growth on those areas it would seem like my hair wasn't growing when the hair on the rest of my head is growing.

Krystle~Hime

It is definetely not enough to affirm that it can't grow trust me I had the same problem
I didn't say my hair does not grow. I think there is no soucy with growth they are no soucy with GROWTH. :ohwell: just I think the problem may be due to my anagen phase which I think is SHORT:nono:. and wanted to know if there is something to increase it.

sounds more internal. how is your diet? do you drink plenty of water, eat fruits and veggie, are you a smoker, do you take vitamins, do you have a lot of stress in your life, do you have any medical issues, do you take meds, etc....

you don't have to respond, but if you are lack in some of these areas, that could be your problem and answer right there. i hope this helps. don't feel bad, maybe your hair doesn't care for protective styles all of the time.

I think my diet is okay.. but if it's internal and it's due to anemia(its kinda up and down depending of events in my life that make me loss appetite and when I feel better my diet is on point ! :spinning:

as my hair main structure is fine, I cannot live without protectives styles, i've already experimente loose/not protected styles and it is noooot for me.

do you think anemia can affect anagen phase?? that if my diet is on point I can consider a longer terminal length??? Because since my moisture/protein balance is on point my hair don't break and no split ends so...
Im a lil skeptic because im sure my anemia problem is on point actually. so if it's not products, and if it's not diet..

Krystle~Hime

If that's your hair in your avatar - then I see a big afro - not short hair. It looks very thick and healthy. I think you may be comparing your hair to others with different hair types than yours. You should look for people with hair that's like yours to get an idea of what it looks like as it grows.

Locked hair is not all shed hair - there is rooted hair in there too. You can either grow locks or if you want to keep your hair loose then try braiding your hair without extensions. Take the braids down every 2-3 months and re-do them. There's a poster here called Nonie who's accumulated quite a bit of length this way. I think she re-braids her hair in sections instead of taking it all out at once. Search the board for her username to find out about her regimen.

that's wat I said !!! very thick and healthy ! and trust me, it's collarbone length:lol: (makes me laugh but deeply makes me sad LOL )
Thank u, i've read Nonie several times. She has a great knowledge !!
im gonna tag her for letting me know wat she thinks about all of this !

Krystle~Hime, You really know your stuff! :lol:

Ok, How about Petroleum derivatives, Mineral Oil (which also has other names), Petrolatum, Lanolin?
I told youuuu !!! :grin:

naaah, I only use organic products.
Can you tell us what your regimen is like and the products you use? I don't believe that collar bone is your terminal length, there might be something else going on. Maybe your hair is the type that gains health before length IDK.

I have access wholesale ingredients shop, so with surfactants, emulsifyers, oils, humectants, I do my own products with selected ingredients that I choose for my hair needs.

blessedandlucky

Leesh - what certain ingredients are you referring to?

ceecy29

I agree remnant!!! And that's the reason I asked the question I did above.

Krystle~Hime You might need to give your hair a little more time. Incorporate scheduled trims into your regimen. For all you know, your ends may still be damaged from the initial first two years and as we know, splits can weaken strands and cause them to continuously break off. Not saying you have splits galore, but your ends from your previous journey may still be weak and fragile and may need to be slowly trimmed off so that the healthy hair you've grown with your new and improved regimen can take over and flourish.

With that said, I need to down my own medicine. I'll be incorporating frequent trims.

KittyMeowMeow

Are you experiencing any breakage? What is your trimming regimen? Also, do you take progress photos? Sometimes it may seem as if the hair is not growing, but if you look back at pictures, it has.

ITA with what everyone said about making sure you are healthy and getting the nutrients you need. If your hair grows slowly, this may improve this.

Does your hair shed a lot - more than 100 strands per day? Shed hairs have the bulb still attached. If your hair sheds a lot, it may have a short growing phase. I have heard about MSM and garlic supplements reducing shedding, but I don't know much about these so you might research ways to reduce shedding if this is a problem.

Good luck! Your hair is gorgeous as is, by the way!

Nonie

Krystle~Hime, what is your protective style? Also when you say you don't miss the ends, what do you mean? Miss them how? You said you moisurize everyday or every other day. Can you explain how you do it and what products you use? Also how do you put your hair to bed?

Krystle~Hime

Krystle~Hime

i know you're hair isn't what you want in terms of length, but it is beautiful.:yep: i hope you get to the bottom of it soon. hopefully, nonie, can shed some light.
thank youuu :blush: i hope too !

Have you tried MSM supplements. They are supposed to lengthen the hair growth phase.
is this true?
is hair hair even (most of the strands the same length) or is it layered?
yeah most of strands, same length
I agree remnant!!! And that's the reason I asked the question I did above.

Krystle~Hime You might need to give your hair a little more time. Incorporate scheduled trims into your regimen. For all you know, your ends may still be damaged from the initial first two years and as we know, splits can weaken strands and cause them to continuously break off. Not saying you have splits galore, but your ends from your previous journey may still be weak and fragile and may need to be slowly trimmed off so that the healthy hair you've grown with your new and improved regimen can take over and flourish.

With that said, I need to down my own medicine. I'll be incorporating frequent trims.

about time, I think 2 years it's big :look:
I also said I don't experimente breakage since my protein/moisture balance is on point.
and the splits from the previous bad journey are trimmed since a long time.

Are you experiencing any breakage? What is your trimming regimen? Also, do you take progress photos? Sometimes it may seem as if the hair is not growing, but if you look back at pictures, it has.

ITA with what everyone said about making sure you are healthy and getting the nutrients you need. If your hair grows slowly, this may improve this.

Does your hair shed a lot - more than 100 strands per day? Shed hairs have the bulb still attached. If your hair sheds a lot, it may have a short growing phase. I have heard about MSM and garlic supplements reducing shedding, but I don't know much about these so you might research ways to reduce shedding if this is a problem.

Good luck! Your hair is gorgeous as is, by the way!

i know I don't post a lot but im not a newbie.. I take progress pictures, and as I said... same length, the only improvment is the condition of hair my hair :

pic 1 and 2 is almost 2 years ago.
pic 3-4 are recent.
same length, but no more weak/prone to breakage hair, was very fine, with low density, now the strand is stronger and density is bigger !

pic 1/2

3/4

Krystle~Hime

Krystle~Hime, what is your protective style? Also when you say you don't miss the ends, what do you mean? Miss them how? You said you moisurize everyday or every other day. Can you explain how you do it and what products you use? Also how do you put your hair to bed?

Hello ! Nonie

during spring/summer yarn twists, they are very light-weighted, don't pull my hair on edges, and the acrylic yarn doesn't absorb moisture from my hair.
during winter, it's an half wig (hair under is on cornrows or flat twists)
sorry for my bad english, when I said "i don't miss the ends" I wanted to say, "I don't forget the ends" I seal them !!

My moisturizer is a horsetail/nettle infusion, with pur aloe and panthenol. Depending on the european weather(humidity) i put a lil of honeyquat, I really prefer it than glycerin which made my hair sticky.

Night time, I massage my scalp(every other day) , my hair is in cornrows or twists, ends sealed, and satin pillow.

Nonie

Krystle~Hime your English is fine. I just wasn't sure you were referring to moisturizing or you used to do a special protein/moisture treatment just for ends. So no apology necessary. (I'm the one who can't get your name right :hide: Sorry)

Hmm...I was asking because I thought you were styling your hair daily and that perhaps too much manipulation was to blame, but if you leave your hair in braids or twists then manipulation isn't really your problem. :scratchch

You do well to seal too, because people mistakenly think that braids and twists are protective by themselves when really your hair ends are still exposed to the elements if left hanging.

Now this is where I sound like a broken record, how often do you dust? I ask because while last year I was dusting but not on any particular schedule but only as the thought came to me, I notice fuller ends now that I'm on a regular schedule. I am too lazy to PS and seal, but even with my slacking I've slowly made it to APL. So I wonder if that might be the missing link.

One more question, do you do your own twists and cornrows or do you rely on someone else for that? The reason I ask is because if you do them yourself, you could perhaps extend the time you wear them by doing what I do, redoing one at a time, and thus keep them in for a year or so. I find this helps me forget what length I had so when I finally look at my hair, I'm thrilled to see the progress I've made. In this way, you minimize the manipulation even more because you never bother the entire head of hair all at once...but rather you may go for months w/ot touching a section of your hair and therefore it has all that time to rest.

BTW, your hair looks so beautifully thick. I know when my hair was short, my afro didn't look as thick as when it grew longer. There are also people who said their hair grew thick before it grew long. So don't lose hope. And find a way to forget about your hair so you're not checking progress and you will wake up one day to find you reached APL w/o even knowing it. Also remember APL is one of the farthest lengths to get to from SL or full SL (aka CBL) so that might also explain why it feels like forever. If it's any consolation, there are many of us who could echo your story...but I honestly think what finally happens is we stop looking for progress and it finds us. A watched pot never boils, so just let it be.

Last edited:

Krystle~Hime

Nonie

Thank u a lot, yeah i'm totally happy about the better condition of my hair. and you can see its also not a manipulation problem;with all the debate and thoughts I have, Im seriously thinking it's terminal length and im shocked(lol) that it can be a so short length.

I think when I wear my half wig, I do a little or your method (or it can be also LadyPaniolo method) : I redo my cornrows every 3 weeks approx. and sometimes I redo only one section(because its unraveling)
I don't focus on my hair(PSing helps me to), thats why Im more frustrated because as you said it's only when we don't focus on that we can be surprise of progress BUT.... there is no progress about length.

about trim, I follow this method (given by thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com) every 2 months, but as my hair is stronger now there is not so much to cut.

Attachments

• hairtrimguide.jpg
    hairtrimguide.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 76

Nonie

Krystle~Hime, how long are the strands...like if you stretch one of the longest sessions and hold it against a ruler that is held vertically against your scalp, what is that length? How tall are you?