.::Short Hair Support & Inspiration!

nubiennze

Are you:

• contemplating a BC but experiencing some apprehension about relinquishing your longer locks?
  • reeling after a BC and in need of ideas, styles, and encouragement?
  • recovering from a setback and on the cusp of a bittersweet new beginning?
  • a lover of healthy hair with intentions to enjoy it short, long, and in between?
Post pictures, videos, fierce short hair Fotkis, questions, rants, and raves here! Even though this is the Long Hair Care Forum, short hair doesn't have to be just a begrudged precursor to our goals. My hope is that having a designated gathering place will help us enjoy and appreciate the short hair phase, because let's face it, we're beautiful even when we're bald. :yep:

It will grow; ladies on this forum have demonstrated this time and again. As much as I love and admire long hair success stories, though, at current I'm looking forward to a few years of vicarious long hair living. Join me in making the most of where we are now--no challenges or specific growth goals required. :grin:

All lengths welcome!

**My apologies if I overlooked an existing thread like this one; I didn't encounter it in my search.

I'll start.

I fall into category #3 above and, as such, have found myself at the back end of yet another extended neglectful period. In short, I've decided to BC again.

Interestingly enough, being that I'm facing a lot of life changes in the near future (Lord willing), it's actually somewhat symbolic and super exciting. I've been looking at a lot of YouTube videos--something I've never done before (as I've been a DIY natural nearly all my life). I found this video inspirational if for no other reason than how strikingly beautiful I thought this young lady was after the BC:

Proudly Nappy!

These were really inspirational, both with regard to hair and in general:

Shape & Style
Shape & Style Pt. 2

Now that I know how I want my hair (a very subtle "fade-hawk" of sorts, parted on the right side and coiled/shingled down the middle, for anyone interested), I have the issue of finding someone to maintain it. The last stylist I had (over three years ago) is MIA. If anyone has any personal experience with stylists/barbers around the Memphis area, please let me know. I know some who, for all intents and purposes, exclusively do relaxed hair, so that won't work. (Most seem not to know how to approach natural hair without straightening it.)

I'm also apprehensive about just hopping in my brother's barber's chair, because I don't want my hair too low or cut like a boy's. Where do I even start looking?? I plan to do the initial cut myself, but I want to find someone to shape it up and keep it clean every couple weeks or so, as I intend to keep it short until I grow out all the chewed up, broken-at-the-roots hair (*sigh* :nono:). Help!

Back