Self Relaxing and EVOO

Denim And Leather

I've read here about mixing EVOO (or any type of natural oil for that matter) into the relaxer mix, because this slows down the processing tiem for the relaxer (in other words, it buys you some time in applying the relaxer).

I am preparing to do my first self-relaxer in a couple of weeks. I got the Phyto II, and want to use EVOO. When I mix it with the relaxer cream, does this mean I have to still use the maximum application time (for Phyto II, it's 25 minutes), or does using the EVOO mean I can extend the application time?

Hope my question makes sense. Since this is my first time self-relaxing, I want to be extra careful!

TIA :D

I've heard of this being used to texlax the hair. However, as far as relaxing bone straight, not sure. I am also pondering this. We should bump this thread and see if any other ladies can chime in.

redRiot said:
I've heard of this being used to texlax the hair. However, as far as relaxing bone straight, not sure. I am also pondering this. We should bump this thread and see if any other ladies can chime in.

Thanks for your reply and I totally agree. :D

Bump!

I've never added oils to phyto, but I have done it before with other no-lye relaxers. Phyto is pretty gentle on its own, and I have to add 3-6 extra minutes of relaxing time at every touchup. My strands are fine/medium (I just have a whole lot of them!)

So I think if you base your scalp really well it would serve the same purpose.

HTH

-A

Denim And Leather said:
I've read here about mixing EVOO (or any type of natural oil for that matter) into the relaxer mix, because this slows down the processing tiem for the relaxer (in other words, it buys you some time in applying the relaxer).

I am preparing to do my first self-relaxer in a couple of weeks. I got the Phyto II, and want to use EVOO. When I mix it with the relaxer cream, does this mean I have to still use the maximum application time (for Phyto II, it's 25 minutes), or does using the EVOO mean I can extend the application time?

Hope my question makes sense. Since this is my first time self-relaxing, I want to be extra careful!

TIA :D

I asked my stylist about this - she uses Phyto products. She told me since Phyto was a gentle relaxer with soy and egg, there was no need to add any oils. I've used Phyto for years, I think you'll be OK not adding oils.

I've decided to not use the EVOO, since Phyto is very gentle. And maybe I'll add a few minutes extra to the processing time as well.

Thank you very much, ladies! :)

I did add EVOO to my relaxer in May and the results were fantastic. I know my family would think I was crazy if they knew. I had an Hawaiian Silky lye relaxer and 1/4 cup of EVOO. MY hair was the silkest and straightest ever. It was my first time also using Hawaiian silky also. Since I had course 4b hair I had bought the super and let it stayed on for the full time. My hair came out too straight and slick. Next time I will get the regular and let it stay on maybe 15 mins. I'm going to continue using the EVOO though. It was a great experience for me.

I've been using MSM for a while now. I'm discovering my hair is not as course as it was all my life. I don't need super strength relaxers anymore.

Blessedtress

When I added oil to my relaxer it took forever to process, so I am assuming you could allow more time.

Back