Scrunchie made of hair = less breakage?

nikolite

What do you all think?

Bunning or ponytailing has never worked for me in the past (when my hair was relaxed I did this religiously and my hair stayed perpetually broken off there), but I so badly want to learn to bun correctly in between other protective styles and reap the benefits. I've tried the Southern Tease bun which I love, but my natural hair can frizz/swell up pretty big and its not so cute if I don't straighten my hair beforehand (which takes a lot of work and heat is one of my no-no's).

I know scrunchies can break off hair, but what about the hair ones? Does anyone use these and experience less breakage?

I had the same problem for years. I would pull off my scrunchie and there would ALWAYS be broken strands of hair wrapped around it. I was so frustrated because the scrunchies were soft and should in no way have caused the breakage. I too went to the Southern Tease bun as an alternative.
In the end the scrunchie wasn't the problem (obviously), it was my hair. I had to figure out how to use protein properly to strengthen my hair. I have never heard of scrunchies made of hair, but I would suggest focusing more on strengthening your own hair to stand up to the scrunchie.

I had the same problem for years. I would pull off my scrunchie and there would ALWAYS be broken strands of hair wrapped around it. I was so frustrated because the scrunchies were soft and should in no way have caused the breakage. I too went to the Southern Tease bun as an alternative.
In the end the scrunchie wasn't the problem (obviously), it was my hair. I had to figure out how to use protein properly to strengthen my hair. I have never heard of scrunchies made of hair, but I would suggest focusing more on strengthening your own hair to stand up to the scrunchie.

I think this is a great point. I've also never had a protein treatment until about a month ago. So that could be it. Only time will tell. Still, it seems that more delicate scrunchies might make a difference too.

ETA: I also used satin scrunchies.

Back