Rough Edges

douglala

I am currently transitioning and am at about 5 ½ months into my transition. My new growth is growing in nicely but only in the ‘inner part of my head. Nice and smooth looking waves. But my edges, especially the front edges on both side (close to the ears) is rough and dry looking. The rough edges make for a sad looking bun. Because of past breakage and overlapping my edges are 100% natural and about 2-3 inches long And the bun is pretty much the only style that I can comfortably wear now but look horrible. Twist outs were my saving grace for months number 3 – 4. But now at month 5 my edges make that style looks bad too. Is anyone having the same problems? What did you do?

I have a similar problem, I have no idea why. The area a little bit above my temples especially come in drier and more brittle.
confused.gif
I'm trying to just moisturize more often, and I've started taking essential fatty acids, which I feel will probably help.

Keep in mind you could just be experiencing "scab hair" from the relaxer.

My rec is to moisturize your edges every night and every morning.
Make a moisturizing spray out of a conditioner, oil, and distilled water. My picks are strawberries n' cream (this stuff is so softening!), proclaim 7 oil or monoi oil, and distilled water.

Each night before bed and in the morning before making your bun, spray the area enough to saturate. Then create your bun or add your other styling products. Also, adding a nice cream like HHB or Hair Milk after the spray will help it along even more.

Good luck!

Yes, it is only my temple area. Can you get 'scab' hair is just one area? Keep me updated on how it is going for you. I am at work brainstorming. I will have to pay extra close attention to this area from now on. I hope extra moisturizing with an oil mix I have will do the trick over time.

Oh, and also do you brush this area when making your bun? I really don't brush anymore. Just try to smooth the area with a comb and my hands, then scarf it.

Thanks hairlove, I was thinking the same thing. Must have been typing my response while you posted.

Soulchild - yes I do brush with a natural boar bristle brush to help smooth the area down but I guess it may be doing more harm than good. I will stop brushing too.

Yes, I also forgot to mention cutting out the brush. I'm still amazed that I haven't use a brush on my hair in months!

did you say that area was 100% natural???? that might be the reason for less wave pattern in that area from shinkage, i agree with the smooth down an scarf method it does wonders to toame the lil frizzies as well.

Yes it is 100 natural both it is very rough. The scarf method works for about 30 minutes and only in the winter. And that is with trying the scarf when hair is wet and leaving it on overnight.

Its a residual effect from the relaxer. I am going through the same thing, the hair does get softer after a time. I'm at the 14 month point and its gotten alot better but still looks weird; curls in the inner part and the rough edges. I'm actually getting braids for the next 18 months and hopefully by then it'll look more uniform.

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
did you say that area was 100% natural???? that might be the reason for less wave pattern in that area from shinkage, i agree with the smooth down an scarf method it does wonders to toame the lil frizzies as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Silvergirl,is that you in the picture below your comments?

I have a similar problem too but I think it's because that area gets wet (my shower cap doesn't cover it too well) and then I don't have or take the time to moisturize or sleek it back thoroughly. If yours is getting wet too in the shower when you don't want it to, make sure you cover that area properly so it doesn't shrink back to its pre-products state.

I, too get rough edges, especially when it is about time for a touch up. I found something that works and hopefully it works for you too. I dampen the edges and then use profectiv healthy ends (i know its for ends, but it works wonders on my edges lol) i ususally gently brush it and put on a scarf to keep it smooth.
I hope that helps!

[ QUOTE ]
Bublnbrnsuga said:
[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Silvergirl,is that you in the picture below your comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, thats me. still doing the bun/phony tail challenge till may next year.

I was going through the same thing. It all changed when I stared to do the conditon wash ever evening. I apply a heavy pomade to my edges and tie my hair down. In the morning my hair line is smooth.

The days I when I do not wash I spray with S-curl apply the pomade to the edges then tie. In the morning it is smoother and wavy.

Back