Resistant Edges

aikaa71

Do other 4a/bs have this problem? I have an on going problem . When I do my touch up, within 3 weeks after touch up ,my edges look raggedy. I have noticed my stylist puts the relaxer on my edges 5 minutes before washing out. He said he does this because the edges are most fragile and need less time for the relaxer to process. But my edges are not fragile they are quite coarse and are under processed.
mad.gif
Right now I want to re do them on my own cos its been three weeks and my edges look rough. The rest of my hair turned out great , he used Revlon Arosci lye relaxer

My daughter has a different texture all around the front line of her hair , its strange , the rest of her hair is a whole other texture. after trying everything else, i finally brushed it forward, vaselined her forhead and scalp in that area, and put a kiddie relaxer in for a few minutes and nuetralized it and condtioned it and greased it up and brushed it back into the rest of her hair.....it helped but didnt do like i wanted, so i did it again the next day again really quick just for a few minutes...and that really helped....and since then her edges look better, but im scared to keep repeating it. so its been quite a few months , probably close to a year since i did it...the edges are so fragile, its scary, so i dont wanna keep doing it...they still look better than they did even after this much time has passed, but when they are dryer and coaser what do you do? ...no grease, or treatment worked.

My edges are pretty stubborn, the just stick up like springs even after I try to gel them and put a scarf on . Its strange that last year they behaved quiet ok. But lately the look rough and from the last relaxer they were underprocessed. I am going to relax them again this weekend

My edges are like that. You should tell him to do your edges last, not 5 minutes before he washes it out. If he does it before he begins smoothing, that should be 10-15 minutes of processing time for your edges. That may work. That's what I do, and my edges don't get crazy until maybe 5-6 weeks post.

Trust me, its better that he puts it on in the last five minutes, i have seen episodes where the front of an indivduals hair was burned severely becasue it was put on too soon. Be careful

I have the same problem and I am a 4a. What I realized is that my edges get washed more often like when I am washing my face (ie: cleansers, astringents, etc.)
scratchchin.gif
. Now I am sure to secure my scarf on my head (covering my edges) before I wash my face.

I have the same problem, and the edges break off easily too, so its quite short. I try to moisturise them often to keep them smooth and soft.

Back