**Rollersetting 2012 Challenge**

Seeing your roller set makes me feel a little better. I cannot figure out a way to get my roots any straighter than they have gotten. It was pretty good with the mesh rollers, but I still had to do some straightening to the roots.

yeah after a few weeks post my roots were not getting straight enough to be heat free. i mean i could have gone without heat but im not a fan of that 80's volume :nono: and i didnt want to wear my hair straight.

I'm in.....
  • I rollerset once a week
  • I use magnetic rollers (red size) with metal clips
  • I'm currently using Givonanni Direct leave-in conditioner then Silk Elements Foam Styling Lotion with Silk Protein. Once the Silk Elements is finished I will go back to using Giovanni styling foam, I like that much better.
  • While I'm removing the rollers once my hair is dry, I apply IC Hair Polisher Heat Protector Straightening Serum, and flat iron my roots
  • Before bed I "pineapple" my hair with an ouchless ponytail holder and put a scarf on over my hair
  • In the morning I take the ponytail holder off, lightly pull my hair downwards, tie a scarf around the top of my hair and lightly pull on the curls to position them and take off the scarf before I leave the house.
  • I'm self-texlaxed with Revlon Lye relaxer (oldie but goodie)
Picture1-vi.jpg

Excited for this thread :D
I really wish more naturals would try out rollersetting. It intimidated me, but once I got the hang of it, it's not all that difficult. and such a win in many ways: stretched hair, styled hair, time to sit under the dryer and read/homework/nails, lasts a week.

Im actually not getting a week out of my sets unless i flat iron. They keep frizzing up on me and i hate the extra volume and unfinished look. Do you bonelaxed ladies have issues with this?

I would like to join. No matter how much I try to fight it rollersetting is best for me to keep me from getting those pesky SSK's. The products I use is Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Lottabody, Chi Silk Fusion, and water in a spray bottle. My sets come out nice with that combo (making sure I use more leave-in than anything else). Then I flat iron my roots.

Napp my rollersets can last 1 week with nightly pin curling for tight curls or a loose bun for waves. Whether I'm freshly relaxed or 16 weeks post. And this is with working out. When I don't workout, it can last 2 weeks.

I believe lonei can go 2 or 3 weeks between her rollersets. HTH!

Waaaah!! WHy is this so hard for me?? I want to start doing this too, but I get so frustrated with my results. I've tried plastic mesh, but my hair got so tangled. I think I got the velcro ones, so maybe that's why? I loved my results with mesh rollers when I was transistioning, but I got frustrated with the drying time. Keep posting result ladies, you are really helping some of us who are scurred. ( or should I say scarred, lol) I'm having flashbacks of damp roots after 1 and a half hours under the dryer.

Waaaah!! WHy is this so hard for me?? I want to start doing this too, but I get so frustrated with my results. I've tried plastic mesh, but my hair got so tangled. I think I got the velcro ones, so maybe that's why? I loved my results with mesh rollers when I was transistioning, but I got frustrated with the drying time. Keep posting result ladies, you are really helping some of us who are scurred. ( or should I say scarred, lol) I'm having flashbacks of damp roots after 1 and a half hours under the dryer.

Sounds like u need a new hooded dryer.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using HTC Glacier

I'm in! I rollerset anyway, but figure this will keep me in regimen. I'm using my same staples: Suave Humectant Poo and Con, rollerset w/ NTM and snap rollers almost daily. Thinking though of skipping a day of washing. The only thing is I like the habit of washing cause then there's no real difference b/w a wash day and no wash day...that "oh damn I gotta wash my hair' feeling isn't there. And also, I like how my hair comes out freshly washed.

Another thing I'm thinking of doing is skipping the caps off the rollers and just opting for the metal clips. I use clips anyway when I do a dry rollerset and so am thinking of just translating this on. I may still use caps for my shorter hairs in the back though until they grow longer. I'm still cutting my hair in the back though to keep w/ a blunt bob cut, but I will let the back grow long enough to roll w/o a cap on it.

Hello all! Monday and Wednesday evenings are my rollerset days. Here are some pics..... (indention, no flat iron, 5 weeks post)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 317
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 309
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 331
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 341
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 286
I'm in! I've been slacking on my full-head rollersets by only rolling the crown and blowdrying and then curling the rest. Too much heat for my weekly style.

Products: I use some type of leave-in or conditioner. (Lately it’s been Dove Shine conditioner and/or Roux Leave-in). I use the green concentrated Lottabody diluted with 2 parts water and New 2 U foam wrap. I use the turquoise rollers in the top and red at the bottom so that the top can be full and curly and the bottom bouncy.

Technique: I roll it Mohawk style. After I sit under the hooded dryer, I apply Sulfur 8 to my scalp (I have dandruff) and BJCO. I moisturize with Lisa Akbari moisturizer and seal with coconut oil. I fluff out the curls with my fingers. The result is curly, big hair. I love curly, big hair!

Tips: For months my roller sets would look dry and lifeless and I couldn’t figure out why. I was skipping THE MOST important step of all…..Moisturizing! Since I started back moisturizing, my rollersets can last up to 2 weeks and are
**Lesson learned?! MOISTURE + OIL SEAL = BEAUTIFUL ROLLERSET

Goals: To fill in my edges, use less heat, regain the length I lost postpartum, and possibly BSL.

Obstacles: The only thing that could slow me down is time. My weeknight evenings are pretty much dedicated to DS. I can manage, as long as I get up on Saturday mornings to do my rollersets.

I’m so happy to join in with you ladies to get my hair back on the right track!

Count me in!! I also rollerset. My hair loves heat and handles it well, but I prefer to rollerset. My major challenges are tangles and not taking the time to properly detangle my hair. I have some major breakage and I will be using rollersets to "hid" it until my hair fills in. I would love any tips or advice. I'm still new at this. :grin:

I'm interested in exploring roller setting as I transition. What can I expect for my natural growth? How straight can natural hair get when roller setting? And will it stay straight?

05girl You can get your natural hair fairly straight. You may need to use a creamier leave-in to aid in rollersetting. I usually pin curl my hair to keep the rollerset for at least a week.

I'm interested in exploring roller setting as I transition. What can I expect for my natural growth? How straight can natural hair get when roller setting? And will it stay straight?
It will get and remain fairly straight. The length, that is.
As for my roots, I don't think they will ever get as straight as relaxed hair. With practice, it's gotten better, but I don't expect to get perfectly straight roots from a rolelrset as a natural. I usually flatiron my roots after a rollerset.

Im joining. I just bought some 1 3/4 and 2 inch rollers, hair net, and clips from sallys and plan on buying my babyliss hooded dryer for christmas. :grin: i hope to rollerset and flat iron the roots once a week. i get my hair flat ironed every other week at the shop, so i can take heat. im just trying tired of depending on other people to do my hair

Yaaaaaaaay! Welcome everyone! I'm so glad you came to join us!

Please be sure to share you tips and revelations on your journey this year, no matter how minute. Little changes can yield a big difference in results.

:weird: Retention is our goal!:weird:

Sent from Topnotch1010's Samsung Galaxy Tablet using LHCF

I'm In!! I've been Rollersetting for 2 mths and now i'm in love. my hair stays moisturized longer and I retain alot of length by doing this.

My hair goal for next year: Full WL.

Products: Revlon Equave Leave-in Conditioner, Chi Silk Infusion or Nairobi Foam wrap, 2" rollers, Seamless comb, Ponytail holders & Clips

Technique: Seperate hair into 9 sections, secure with pontail holder/elastic then rollerset and air dry overnight.

I've been doing this technique since Sept.1/2011 and I love how I'm able to have straight hair without any heat at all. If I'm into my stretch i will flat iron roots only and not length.

I have been eyeing this i have mixed reviews how do you like it is ir comparable to any others?

Please add me I will rollerset when i am NOT wearing protective styles i usually wear a wig one week and my hair out the next. I am relaxed, a little past bsl hoping for waist summer 2012.:crossfingers:

Last edited:
I wanna join!!

I am completely new to rollersetting, so I've been trying to read up on the best products and techniques. I used to put my hair in rollers dry nightly many years ago, so I'm hoping that will help me get the hang of it quicker.

I will be getting a hooded dryer in the next month.

I want to first try a foam wrapping solution and I'll use a Silk Dreams leave-in. Maybe the Nourish oil later on, but I don't want to go crazy on products at this point.

I have been eyeing this i have mixed reviews how do you like it is ir comparable to any others?

camilla I love this product!!! it leaves my hair very soft and it de-tangles with ease and my hair is not stiff/hard like with others i've tried. once my rollerset is dry my hair feels very moisturized and is very bouncy. I can't say i've had any bad experience with this product, and I've been using it for 2 + yrs. HTH

I was just watching some youtube vids on rollersetting and then came into this thread. All of the pretty results has definitely made the decision for me as well as the wonderful benefits.

I am going to attempt rollersetting again. This time I am natural and only have about 2.5-3in on the front and side and about 1.5 in the back.

I am going to use my spray bottle mix with water and oil. I will experiment with which products work best. Tonight I am going to try donna marie dream curling creme.

I shampooed and con my hair last night and applied a leave in and went to bed. I didn't add any more products. So we shall see how it turns out.

I'm in also. Rollerset hair has a different sheen to it and I love that look, also I get great growth.

Products...Wen Fig...Infusium...Lotta Body/Water and Argan Oil

So my rollerset did not turn out great. I will not count it as a fail because I am loving my curly fro.

I will saturate my hair more and go back to using chi silk infusion and elucence leave in (once its used all up I will use ORS foam wrap) Ialso need to hold the hair & roller taut. Some weren't as taut!

Quick question for the natural ladies. Do you blow dry before you rollerset? If so do you than just rollerset on dry hair?

For the naturals that rollerset on wet hair who do you get your roots straight?

I will attempt to roller set again with magnetic rollers this time. I am also going to do smaller sections.

Back