Relaxer Stretch

How far are you stretching your relaxers?

• 7 weeks and under

Votes: 51 4.5%
  • 8-9 weeks

Votes: 212 18.9%
  • 10-11 weeks

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • 12-14 weeks

Votes: 350 31.2%
  • 15-17 weeks

Votes: 104 9.3%
  • 18 weeks and over

Votes: 231 20.6%

• Total voters
SherryLove said:
I use AO GPB along with the Jojoba&aloe conditioner mixed with oil every time i deep condition, and it softens my new growth like nobody's business....i keep my hair and scalp oiled twice a week as i am getting more new growth.....i also do not comb my hair often...,,all of this, reallly minimizes breakage for me...my hair will probably look an inch and a half longer when i finally get it relaxed....LOL

Thanks :) Kenra MC and Elucence MD CO does the same for me.

Leshia said:
I've got to smile when i see your pic now. you used to SWEAR you'd never get to bra clasp...BRAVO!

I know. Time really flies doesn't it. It seems like it'll be forever for that point to come. I am glad I am here now Leshia.

I'm trying to go 6 months.

The longest I've ever gone is 12 weeks, but I'm seriously considering transitioning w/o the big chop if I can do so w/o too much breakage.

I am 18 weeks and over because I am trasitioning. I want to embrace my natural texture. Right now I use Motions CPR Poo and conditioner, and Indian Hemp grease but my last relaxer was Christmas so my hair is still really straight. I plan to just keep rollersetting with perm rods even if my hair is nappy. I think it will resemble natural hair a little. Plus I need to get used to the naps.

I stretch to 12 weeks but I might go a lot longer this time. My new growth and hair is very soft. I do co washes, and sometimes use s-curl or care free curl. I use ORS carrot oil and I use Nexxus Humectress as a daily hairdress. I only comb when my hair is wet and then I still don't comb too much.

I just finished a 6 mon stint. The last 3 wks were tough, but other than that is was no problems :) . My helpers were daily coconut/olive oil, H2O, and 3 cond. washes per wk.

I do my touch up every 10 weeks. For 2005, I'm trying to stretch to every 12 weeks. I'm at week 9 so far, and I've got a little breakage :look: I just look in the sink and get soooo frustrated. At this point, I really have to increase moisture. I won't be using any head rests or sitting back on peoples couches w/o a plastic bag over my head. I just use an oil mixture, care free gold curl activator and elasta qp oil moisture recovery. I just may conditoner shampoo only up until week 12. My hair needs all the moisture it can get.

The longest I have stretched aside from transitioning is 15 weeks. Right now I am only at week 4 but I tried out the Mizani sensitive scalp for the first time last month and I messed up real bad. I have some really underprocessed sections. But I am going to try to wait at least 8 weeks before I try to correct it. And when I do I will get some help. I have learned that doing a touch-up on 15 weeks worth of new growth is NOT something that I can tackle alone. Once I correct the underprocessing I will go back to stretching minimum of 12 weeks.

Like SherryLove, I am relaxing only twice this year once every six month. I am presently 8 weeks post relaxer. I have four months to go.

SherryLove said:
I use AO GPB along with the Jojoba&aloe conditioner mixed with oil every time i deep condition, and it softens my new growth like nobody's business....i keep my hair and scalp oiled twice a week as i am getting more new growth.....i also do not comb my hair often...,,all of this, reallly minimizes breakage for me...my hair will probably look an inch and a half longer when i finally get it relaxed....LOL

Thanks Sherry!

I am currently at week 8 of my relaxer stretch. I thought that I was going to have to relax this week end but thanks to my AVEDA HANG STRAIGHT and new REVLON Ceramic 1 inch Flat Iron I think I can make it to at least 10 weeks. I have learned so much from the LONGHAIRCARE FORUM since I found it this morning!! Thanks to everyone!!! I had all these notions of how to grow my hair longer but needed guidance. I am shoulder length at this moment and desire bra strap length!!! ebony88

I stretched it out to 6 months last time, and I will do the same this time too.

Hello natalied and other ladies,

I am very new to the forum and this will be the first time that I have stretched my relaxer. So far and this will be my 6th week, I'm usually dying to get it done and unable to get a comb thru it:eek: But since I've joined this forum, I have gotten a lot of good tips. I plan to stretch my relaxer time to 10 weeks this time, and gradually work up to 12 weeks the next time. I currently wash my hair twice a week, and moisturize it twice a day. I've found that 100% unrefined shea butter, Kelechi hair oil, used every other day, and surge spray moisturizer work well for my hair so far:) I'll let you know how it works out in another 4 weeks.

I'm at wk 8 and aiming for 20wks. Last year I went from 16-20wks before touch-ups and only had 3 touch-ups in 2004. I am going to use the baggie method / buns & maybe put my hair in cornrows for a while.

I'm 17 weeks post relaxer (in braids though). I'll be self relaxing and going back into braids shortly after as part of the braid challenge. After I'm done with the challenge I plan to stretch to 10 weeks at least. If my hair can handle it, I'll go longer.

I am at month 6 right now and trying to transition. I haven't had any breakage yet. I wash once a week and rollerset using flexi rods or wear a braidout during the week. I use wonder 8 oil and elasta qp mango butter to keep my hair moisturized during the week.

Last edited:
6 weeks tops. The longest I've waited was 13 weeks!! :eek: I remember being sooooo frustrated. My hair is super-duper thick and it would not act right at all.

I've Been On My 11 Week Relaxer Strecth And I Have Seen Some Tremendous Growth. I Use To Get A Perm Every 4 Weeks And It Was Doing Some Damage. It Feels Like Im Addicted To Touching My New Growth. My Hair Is Almost Shoulder Length And I Wont Get A Relaxer Until It Touches My Shoulders. For A Root Straightner I Do Co Wash(sauve Coconut) 2-3 Times A Week And Blow Dry It And It Comes Out Straight And Bouncy.

I'm at 20 weeks and so far I'm handling it okay. I do notice a lot of shedding and some breakage, I will get braids to hold me off from texturing for another 4-6 weeks.

I had a relaxer back on Jan 3rd and i'm stretching for a whole year. I must be mad. The back of my hair is 4a/b so this smile will be wiped from my face in a few weeks time... but hopefully sew ins will save my life and my sanity. at least i can spend the rest of the year saving up for Phytorelaxer! :lol:

I just had a touch-up on April 4, 2005. So, today I am exactly 2 weeks post. I stretched to 12 weeks that time, and I will go 13 weeks this time. I would go longer, but I'm going on vacation for a week to VA the second week in July, so I want my hair easy to manage. After I touch-up July 4, 2005 Lord willing I'm going to do a 6 month stretch this time (26 weeks), hopefully with the help of cornrows with my own hair.

My helpers in stretching were daily CO washes, overnight oil treatments, daily hot oil treatments (no longer work on my hair), and protective styles. My roots were so thick that my hair DID NOT look good hanging down, so I braided it in a braid everyday. I had some good growth from it though!

My helpers this time will be shampoos every other day, with overnight oil treatments the night before, CO washes on the days between, and I will continue to wear protective styles. I wore my hair down part of the day for the first time in 3 weeks the other day, and I don't plan on wearing it down again until my boyfriend's college graduation on May 6.

asphyxxia said:
I had a relaxer back on Jan 3rd and i'm stretching for a whole year. I must be mad. The back of my hair is 4a/b so this smile will be wiped from my face in a few weeks time... but hopefully sew ins will save my life and my sanity. at least i can spend the rest of the year saving up for Phytorelaxer! :lol:

you go girl......let us know how it goes

I am now 5+weeks post relaxer and I'm heading to the braid shop by weeks end( :ohwell: ). Last time I lasted 9 weeks and 1 day:look:!!

I am aiming for 6 months, looking at the end of the year, but will pay attention to what my hair is going through. If I'm shedding too much, I'll relax or braid back up.... :look: I'll see!!
My goal is to relaxe twice or once a year... I would love to see thaat madness pan out! :lol:

Back