Relaxer Procedure (after 1 year stretch)--Review Needed!

You seem like you have everything down... I'm going to borrow this list!!!

sareca said:
I'm 9 months post relaxer. I'm planning to relax 3 weeks after takedown. Breezy's got me thinking about having hubby apply my relaxer. He needs practice so I'm writing down the procedure so we can practice with conditioner. Here is it. Tell me what ya'll think.

Tools need:
* Latex gloves (don't like the ones that come in the box)
* Phyto Index 2 Kit
* Styleone pure protein
* Aphogee EFA
* Roux Porosity Control
* ACV
* Plastic duck bill clips

Instructions:
1. Mix relaxer and leave it for 20 minutes.
2. Detangle and braid into six braids (3 on each side)
3. Put plastic duck bill clips over demarcation line.
4. Add Porosity Control to previously relaxed hair and coat in EFA.
5. Stir cap full of pure protein into relaxer.
6. Apply relaxer generously starting from the crown (where the most texture is).
7. Divide each section into 3 subsection to get the best application.
8. After all sections are done, begin smoothing. Start with the crown and go in the order you applied the relaxer. (I'm going to use the back of a filed comb, my hair wasn't very straight last time)
9. After 20 minutes rinse thoroughly.
10. Add 1 capful pure protein and 2 tsp of ACV to 20 oz water.
11. Pour over hair (wait 2 minutes)
12. Neutralize (it should go faster because of the ACV added before neutralizing). I've done this before and it neutralized very quickly.
13. When color indicator is white, rinse, apply favorite conditioner and more EFA. Leave for 30 minutes with heat.
14. Rinse style.
15. Leave it alone for 2 days.
16. Clarify
17. Back to henna treatments.

I'm focusing most on getting the protein in and making sure it's neutralized. I think a lot of people have hair breakage and dryness because they don't neutralize throughly.

Wow, your hair is beautiful now. I can only imagine how much more so it will be when U relax it. :eek: Hope all goes well and U R happy.

Sareca GL....looking forward to your update! :up:

OT: Tetbelle the older boy in your siggy looks like a young Tyler Perry! :p

lonei said:
Maybe you should do the half half relaxer procedure to make sure your not underprocessed, pm me for more info.

Sorry, Lonei I don't know how I missed your post. PM'g now.

Thanks Jazzy and DD. I'm so anxious. Not so much about the relaxer as wearing it down. I'm allowing/forcing myself to wear it down post-relaxer until Jan. I've been doing protective styles for the last 13 months. I know a lot of ladies here have made awesome progress w/o them but still I'm anxious. I'll let ya'll know how it goes. :)

DDtexlaxd said:
Wow, your hair is beautiful now. I can only imagine how much more so it will be when U relax it. :eek: Hope all goes well and U R happy.

Co-signing! As a fellow Phyto user, I'm hoping you'll be ridiculously joyful at the results.

My last touch up was the best I ever had...and it was done at home!

I really feel excited about your touch up for some reason...:lol:
I feel like I will need some snacks and a fruity beverage to review touch up pictures:D

Thanks MonaLisa. I've got everything ready. Just waiting for time to pass... *drums fingers on table* :)

I couldn't wait and I relaxed after 11 months and I COMPLETELY :love: it. But it did not go well at all. :nono:

First, I RAN OUT OF RELAXER. No joke. I only used one kit when I relaxed all of my virgin hair last Sept, but now I needed 2. :confused: Live and learn. My hair line still looks like it did before I relaxed :ohwell: because I was scraping the jar by the time I got to it.

What else did I do wrong... Oh... it's stick straight. I knew it wasn't going to texturize like the first time because my hair doesn't look like it did the first time, but I didn't know it would be stick straight. I almost cried when I first saw it but it's growing on me now. I only left the relaxer on for 11 minutes, BTW. The minimum time the box says is 15 minutes. So I got waves in the front (where I ran out of relaxer) and stick straight every where else.

Oh, I almost forgot! I went over the DL into the new growth a little with the PC so there a .5 puffy part that didn't relax at all. *shuggs shoulders*

I should be upset, but I'm not. I'm crazy in love with it even tho it didn't go anything like I planned. To be honest this was probably the worse relaxer I've given myself and the most in love I've been with my hair.

I also was a bad girl and trimmed an inch. They were so ugly. My ends are still pretty thin, but they look a lot better now and I'm still at APL. I'm not sure I'm crazy about bunning as a protective style. My ends don't have a splits, but they are thin. They were never thin before. I think I'm going back to no contact instead of protective styles. I think it's too much stress on my poor little ends to be tucked under.

I took pics, but haven't uploaded them. My life has been chaos. I just thought I'd pop in check the henna thread and let anybody who cared now I relaxed and all is well.

Love ya'll. :rosebud:

Sareca, glad to hear you are loving the results of the relaxer! I will be waiting on those pictures...I know it looks great!:grin:

sareca said:
I couldn't wait and I relaxed after 11 months and I COMPLETELY :love: it. But it did not go well at all. :nono:

First, I RAN OUT OF RELAXER. No joke. I only used one kit when I relaxed all of my virgin hair last Sept, but now I needed 2. :confused: Live and learn. My hair line still looks like it did before I relaxed :ohwell: because I was scraping the jar by the time I got to it.

What else did I do wrong... Oh... it's stick straight. I knew it wasn't going to texturize like the first time because my hair doesn't look like it did the first time, but I didn't know it would be stick straight. I almost cried when I first saw it but it's growing on me now. I only left the relaxer on for 11 minutes, BTW. The minimum time the box says is 15 minutes. So I got waves in the front (where I ran out of relaxer) and stick straight every where else.

Oh, I almost forgot! I went over the DL into the new growth a little with the PC so there a .5 puffy part that didn't relax at all. *shuggs shoulders*

I should be upset, but I'm not. I'm crazy in love with it even tho it didn't go anything like I planned. To be honest this was probably the worse relaxer I've given myself and the most in love I've been with my hair.

I also was a bad girl and trimmed an inch. They were so ugly. My ends are still pretty thin, but they look a lot better now and I'm still at APL. I'm not sure I'm crazy about bunning as a protective style. My ends don't have a splits, but they are thin. They were never thin before. I think I'm going back to no contact instead of protective styles. I think it's too much stress on my poor little ends to be tucked under.

I took pics, but haven't uploaded them. My life has been chaos. I just thought I'd pop in check the henna thread and let anybody who cared now I relaxed and all is well.

Love ya'll. :rosebud:

Great thread. Glad you love it. It will probably go better the next time.

I can't wait to see the new pics. My biggest curiousity is: How did your hubby do? I would have been "a little concerned" :ohwell: (understatement) if my husband was doing mine. He is so heavy handed sometimes.

I never thought to have th S/O help me apply it...might not be a bad idea if my mom ever can't...but I think I'll stick with mom when I decide to relax again since she knows my hair better than I do. I'm only sorry I ever stopped having her do it.

Royal Glory said:
Great thread. Glad you love it. It will probably go better the next time.

I can't wait to see the new pics. My biggest curiousity is: How did your hubby do? I would have been "a little concerned" :ohwell: (understatement) if my husband was doing mine. He is so heavy handed sometimes.

Hubby was out of town and I decided I couldn't wait. He will be helping me next relaxer. :yep: He was actually kind of disappointed that I did it w/o him. :ohwell:

InNeedofHairapy said:
I never thought to have th S/O help me apply it...might not be a bad idea if my mom ever can't...but I think I'll stick with mom when I decide to relax again since she knows my hair better than I do. I'm only sorry I ever stopped having her do it.

Breezy got me started with that one. I talked to my husband and he was a little hesitant but agreed.

I just finished my 2007 touch-up! I love it. I did this one right. The last time it was too straight. This time it's exactly what I was looking for. I used a little oil in addition to the pure protein and wow! That oil (Aphogee EFA) made a huge difference in the way it feels. It's very soft. The newly relaxed hair actually feels better than the hair I texturized last year. :ohwell:

Here are some of the highlights...
100_4732-vi.jpg
100_47571-vi.jpg
100_4872-vi.jpg
100_4874-vi.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks ladies. :rosebud:

Alli, the method I used today is in my fotki.
http://public.fotki.com/Serica/hair-to-stay/regime/pr2.html

There were a couple last minute changes the biggest one was I have no idea how long the relaxer was on my hair. I woke my DH up to help me :badidea:. He was in charge of holding the mirror and setting/watching the timers (we had two). He didn't set the second one. I think the total time was around 10 minutes but I can't be sure which it really too bad because I love. :ohwell:

Back