Relaxer Procedure (after 1 year stretch)--Review Needed!

sareca

I'm 9 months post relaxer. I'm planning to relax 3 weeks after takedown. Breezy's got me thinking about having hubby apply my relaxer. He needs practice so I'm writing down the procedure so we can practice with conditioner. Here is it. Tell me what ya'll think.

Tools need:
* Latex gloves (don't like the ones that come in the box)
* Phyto Index 2 Kit
* Styleone pure protein
* Aphogee EFA
* Roux Porosity Control
* ACV
* Plastic duck bill clips

Instructions:
1. Mix relaxer and leave it for 20 minutes.
2. Detangle and braid into six braids (3 on each side)
3. Put plastic duck bill clips over demarcation line.
4. Add Porosity Control to previously relaxed hair and coat in EFA.
5. Stir cap full of pure protein into relaxer.
6. Apply relaxer generously starting from the crown (where the most texture is).
7. Divide each section into 3 subsection to get the best application.
8. After all sections are done, begin smoothing. Start with the crown and go in the order you applied the relaxer. (I'm going to use the back of a filed comb, my hair wasn't very straight last time)
9. After 20 minutes rinse thoroughly.
10. Add 1 capful pure protein and 2 tsp of ACV to 20 oz water.
11. Pour over hair (wait 2 minutes)
12. Neutralize (it should go faster because of the ACV added before neutralizing). I've done this before and it neutralized very quickly.
13. When color indicator is white, rinse, apply favorite conditioner and more EFA. Leave for 30 minutes with heat.
14. Rinse style.
15. Leave it alone for 2 days.
16. Clarify
17. Back to henna treatments.

I'm focusing most on getting the protein in and making sure it's neutralized. I think a lot of people have hair breakage and dryness because they don't neutralize throughly.

Last edited:
Looks good to me. As long as hubby gets a few practice rounds in with a thick conditioner he should be good to go.

Have you relaxed using the pure protein before?

douglala said:
Looks good to me. As long as hubby gets a few practice rounds in with a thick conditioner he should be good to go.

Have you relaxed using the pure protein before?

I haven't tried that one before... I was hoping somebody here had. I'm kinda scared.

Looks like you may be our guinea pig!

I'll be waiting on your review if you do use it.

If I relax again I definitely want to add some protein to my relaxer.

Sounds good Sareca!! I would add: smooth and apply to the nape and hairline last too. Let us know how the protein goes, where did u purchase it?:look:

tetbelle said:
Just wondering why don't you go natural you are so far in...just a question.

Thanks!

I get that one a lot. Basically it's because I've been natural most of my adult life. I've actually only relaxed about 4-5 times. Every time, except the last time, was on virgin hair. Right now I want some BSL+ hair (never had that). It would take forever with 1/3 shrinkage. I'll probably go back to being natural in a few years.

Catina72 said:
Sounds good Sareca!! I would add: smooth and apply to the nape and hairline last too. Let us know how the protein goes, where did u purchase it?:look:

I'd forgotten about doing the hairline/nape last. Thanks. :rosebud:

I haven't brought it yet. I'm gonna buy it from their Web site when I get closer to relaxer time.

goldensensation said:
Going a yr without a relaxer was the easiest application I ever had. No overlapping. lol

:yay: That's what I was hoping. I probably won't stretch a year again, but it needs to be at least 6 months. I need about 3 inches of new growth to be sure I'm not overlapping.

sareca said:
I get that one a lot. Basically it's because I've been natural most of my adult life. I've actually only relaxed about 4-5 times. Every time, except the last time, was on virgin hair. Right now I want some BSL+ hair (never had that). It would take forever with 1/3 shrinkage. I'll probably go back to being natural in a few years.

Oh ok well that is the great thing we can be versatile and have many different options with our hair.

Sareca your plan sounds good, I can't wait to see your results.
I also believe most pple suffer so much damage because of overlapping and neutralizing.

I self relax but I've only gone 4 mo. w/o a relaxer. I'm curious about the protein - do the instructions say it's ok? I use the Vitale Positive Condi and it doen't contain protein. I also have Ultra Sheen DuoTex, which to me is a mild to med protein and after relaxer/pre neutralizer it says only leave on 3-5 min instead of the usual 10.

I would hate for you to spend all this time and money and still not get as straight as you want!!!

tenderheaded said:
I self relax but I've only gone 4 mo. w/o a relaxer. I'm curious about the protein - do the instructions say it's ok? I use the Vitale Positive Condi and it doen't contain protein. I also have Ultra Sheen DuoTex, which to me is a mild to med protein and after relaxer/pre neutralizer it says only leave on 3-5 min instead of the usual 10.

I would hate for you to spend all this time and money and still not get as straight as you want!!!
Yep, the instructions say to use it in your chemical treatments. They specifically say relaxers too.

[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]HAIRCOLOR, BLEACHING or HIGHLIGHTING [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif] Add one (1) capful of Protein Inner Structure directly to two (2) ounces of any color, bleach or highlighting formula. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]PERMANENT WAVE [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif] Add one (1) capful of Protein Inner Structure directly to two (2) ounces of any permanent wave. Do not add protein to neutralizer.[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]STRAIGHTENER or RELAXER [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif] Add 1 capful of Protein Inner Structure directly to any chemical straightener or relaxer.

After the completion of any chemical service, be sure to use Daily Balancing Shampoo to lock down your chemical service. For added shine, body and moisture, use Moisture Restoring Conditioner. Add an additional dime-sized portion of Moisture Restoring Conditioner as a "Leave-In" all day conditioner for extra protection and as a detangler.

[/FONT]​
[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif] [/FONT]​

You're braver than me! I've been underprocessed before, and on my 4a/4b it's not pretty:eek:

I can't wait to see your results. We appreciate all your great pictures:)

tenderheaded said:
You're braver than me! I've been underprocessed before, and on my 4a/4b it's not pretty:eek:

I can't wait to see your results. We appreciate all your great pictures:)

Thanks, I'll be sure to take plenty before and after pics. :)

Oh! I forgot to mention I'm texturized. I'm not going for straight.

sareca said:
Thanks, I'll be sure to take plenty before and after pics. :)

Oh! I forgot to mention I'm texturized. I'm not going for straight.

Ohhhh where did you get that protein that you are adding to your relaxer?

I know you will do great. My friend just relaxed mine today using Southern Girl's tips. It came out GREAT!!

secretdiamond said:
The ACV thing sounds like a great idea sareca. Have you done it before? If so, how did it come out?

I did it after my last relaxer. I started neutralizing, shampoo'd a couple times, got fed up and mixed up some ACV and water. I think I did 1/4 ACV (that's was too much) and it neutralized immediately! It went from very pink to white in about 1 minute. I was shocked and wondered why they don't have that in the instructions.

sareca said:
I'm 9 months post relaxer. I'm planning to relax 3 weeks after takedown. Breezy's got me thinking about having hubby apply my relaxer. He needs practice so I'm writing down the procedure so we can practice with conditioner. Here is it. Tell me what ya'll think.

Tools need:
* Latex gloves (don't like the ones that come in the box)
* Phyto Index 2 Kit
* Styleone pure protein
* Aphogee EFA
* Roux Porosity Control
* ACV
* Plastic duck bill clips

Instructions:
1. Mix relaxer and leave it for 20 minutes.
2. Detangle and braid into six braids (3 on each side)
3. Put plastic duck bill clips over demarcation line.
4. Add Porosity Control to previously relaxed hair and coat in EFA.
5. Stir cap full of pure protein into relaxer.
6. Apply relaxer generously starting from the crown (where the most texture is).
7. Divide each section into 3 subsection to get the best application.
8. After all sections are done, begin smoothing. Start with the crown and go in the order you applied the relaxer. (I'm going to use the back of a filed comb, my hair wasn't very straight last time)
9. After 20 minutes rinse thoroughly.
10. Add 1 capful pure protein and 2 tsp of ACV to 20 oz water.
11. Pour over hair (wait 2 minutes)
12. Neutralize (it should go faster because of the ACV added before neutralizing). I've done this before and it neutralized very quickly.
13. When color indicator is white, rinse, apply favorite conditioner and more EFA. Leave for 30 minutes with heat.
14. Rinse style.
15. Leave it alone for 2 days.
16. Clarify
17. Back to henna treatments.

I'm focusing most on getting the protein in and making sure it's neutralized. I think a lot of people have hair breakage and dryness because they don't neutralize throughly.

I couldn't find it. I saw it but it came with the conditioner. I only want the protein, can you direct me pretty please?

MizaniMami said:
I couldn't find it. I saw it but it came with the conditioner. I only want the protein, can you direct me pretty please?
That's the only one I saw too. I'm planning to buy the entire kit (neutralizer, chelating poo, condition, protein). I know we need another conditioner like we need a-hole-in-the-head, but their condition does sound good. I'm beginning to love leave-ins. Otherwise call 'em up, they'll probably sell the protein w/o the conditioner.

ETA: For additional dry hair remedies: Use Moisture Restoring Conditioner as a LEAVE-IN "ALL DAY" Moisturizer - rub a small amount (dime size) into hands, apply to hair. Comb through and style as usual. Will NEVER over-condition or leave hair limp or oily. Recommended for ALL hair types. Say goodbye to dry hair and damaged hair.

Last edited:
This was a great thread and I can't wait to see what happens. Your hair is so gorgeous and hubby is going to enjoy helping you. :) The henna has made a tremendous difference in my hair after only two treatments. I love it! Thanks again for all your post.

Maybe you should do the half half relaxer procedure to make sure your not underprocessed, pm me for more info.

Wow congrats on your 9month stretch! I think your routine looks very good! I just have one comment. That Phyto is the most gentle relaxer and already 'texlaxes' , so i would think that by adding the amount of protein that is recommended for a perm/relaxer/color, i think that probably would be too much to add to phyto. Perhaps you should add a little less? I know you are aiming for texturizing but i'd hate for you to spend your $50 on that darn phyto and your roots are still rough... But good luck ms lady, i think you will do fine...

carolb21 said:
This was a great thread and I can't wait to see what happens. Your hair is so gorgeous and hubby is going to enjoy helping you. :) The henna has made a tremendous difference in my hair after only two treatments. I love it! Thanks again for all your post.

I'm so glad to hear henna is working well for you. It's really is an awesome product.

Mizani_Mrs said:
Wow congrats on your 9month stretch! I think your routine looks very good! I just have one comment. That Phyto is the most gentle relaxer and already 'texlaxes' , so i would think that by adding the amount of protein that is recommended for a perm/relaxer/color, i think that probably would be too much to add to phyto. Perhaps you should add a little less? I know you are aiming for texturizing but i'd hate for you to spend your $50 on that darn phyto and your roots are still rough... But good luck ms lady, i think you will do fine...

I think they recommended a capful. I might make it half a cap. I am planning to add an extra 2-3 minutes to my normal processing time because of the protein and 'cause hubby's not experienced.

Ok, ya'll. My Phyto just arrived and I'm so tempted to relax before my scheduled time. :spank:

Last edited:
Back