Relaxed ladies - How often do you touch up?

How often do you touch up?

• Every 5 weeks or less :look:

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Every 6 weeks

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Every 7 weeks

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Every 8 weeks

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Every 9+ weeks

Votes: 124 80.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sunnieb

Are you guys using some heat to help you stretch? Blowdryer and flat iron?
I blow dried and styled a client's hair who swore she needed a touch up but NOPE.
She was so pleased. She now believes she will incorporate heat to help her stretch longer.

HTH!

No direct heat for me. I will try my first rollerset next weekend when I'm 9 weeks post to see how that goes. For now, I just airdry with a silk scarf to keep my edges smooth. It helps that I don't really care about getting my hair super straight. I just want it to look decent.

afrochique

Are you guys using some heat to help you stretch? Blowdryer and flat iron?
I blow dried and styled a client's hair who swore she needed a touch up but NOPE.
She was so pleased. She now believes she will incorporate heat to help her stretch longer.

HTH!
I relax my hair twice a year: June and December.
I am 20 wks post today, 6 to go. I blowdry my hair on a cool setting once a month. I focus on the new growth to make it more manageable.

Bigmommah

I'm moving towards every 16 weeks beginning Jan 1. I've noticed that henna has made my ng much easier to take care of so I will be alternating between Henna and Aphogee 2 step.

FocusLady

No direct heat for me. I just do braid/twist outs. My new growth is crazy right now. However I'm still holding out.

shonte

I started my healthy hair care journey in May of this year. This will be my second time stretching for 10 weeks. Before May I would get a t/u every 6 weeks. I do not plan to go beyond 10 weeks.

taz007

I usually relax my hair every 7-8 weeks. I am currently 3 months post in an attempt to do a 1 year stretch ... it has been difficult but I have not lost too much hair so far.

SelfStyled

I relax every 11 weeks. 10 weeks is too early, 12 weeks is too long. I used to relax every 5-6 weeks before my HHJ, so at least I doubled my time between touch ups.

PDub

My goal is 3 times per year. This year I've only relaxed twice though. So far, it's worked out just fine. Since I've been protective styling in order to reach my goal, it hasn't posed any problems.

lavaflow99

In search of the next vacation
Every 12 weeks. Going for 14 weeks this next stretch with an ultimate goal for 16 weeks hopefully (3 times per year). But if the breakage gets bad, i will keep it at 12.

Last edited:

back2relaxed

When my hair was longer and I was growing it out, I would relax every 10-12 weeks. But now that I cut it all off, I am relaxing every 6 weeks, which is a stretch for short hair!

kami02

I'm at every 10 weeks, but for years I was an 8 week girl. My goal is every 12 weeks, but I can't start that until next year. I've already mapped out my relaxers until May based on upcoming special events.

NappiShawti

this is my 1st yr bein relaxed/texlaxd & my virgin relaxr was in Feb. i touched up in July after about 4.5 months post. i am about to get a weave this wk (at 18wks post) which should last me til the end of the yr so i dont plan to relax again until january...like jan 01 lol

i will not ever relax before 4 months & ideally i will be able to go 6 months & never get perms more than 2-3x per yr. so far this schedule has been working 4 me. i was natural my whole life til feb. so dealing w/ new growth is not so daunting 4 me as it is 4 some :)

exubah

At minimum every 8-10 weeks, sometimes I may go up to 12 weeks. I have problems detangling on wash days after 10 weeks but that is because I usually, out of sheer laziness, typically air-dry in ponies instead of rollersets.

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Usually 2-3x a year, last touch up I made it to 8 months. I am aiming for once a year now.

Last edited:

kandake

Typically anywhere between 8-12 weeks. I strive for 12 weeks but I seem to fall short when I'm wearing my hair out. I'm 10 weeks now and wearing half wigs. I'm thinking about transitioning though. If I don't transition I'm seriously contemplating relaxing only twice a year. I have to figure out something because my hair is way to thin for my liking.

25Nona

I usually go 9-10 weeks but most importantly I listen to my hair, if I can stretch longer I will and if I have to do it earlier I will but no sooner than 7 weeks.

Last edited:

Lissa0821

I just completed my first 16 week stretch. It worked out great so I will stretch this length of time from now on.

bestblackgirl

Minimum 12 weeks. I'm currently 15 weeks planning a 40-week stretch. I don't use heat. Just bun and at times hide my hair under a hat