Relaxed Hair--FlatIrons/Blowdryers

daviine

Are there any relaxed heads here who blow dry their hair and/or flatiron their hair on a regular basis successfully?

If so, I would love to hear your regimen.

Thanks.

Before I started press and curl I used to get asked all of the time "Are you wearing a wig?" After I washed and deep conditioned I added styling foam and a dime sized amount of keracare silken seal. It's the best! Then also I would add a little oil, not to much because you want that swing to your hair! I would comb my hair in the direction of the style I wanted and sit under a hooded dryer until it was about 95% dry. Afterward blowdry until dry but not overly dry. That causes breakage. I used a ceramic flat iron and went over each small section of hair at least twice and just bumped the ends with the flat iron. Finish with some biosilk and viola! I did this once weekly. I am seriously thinking about going back to the relaxer and flat ironing. It is so pretty and I got so many compliments on my hair!

DSD,

I'm glad someone responded, I had been wondering this same thing myself. Could you post your regimen of sitting under the dryer until 95% dry (I can't get this quote function to work for me)
on the other thread going about blowdrying wet. I think it is important to stress that relaxed hair should not be blown dry while it is wet.

I already posted on that thread. If some one wants to blow dry wet hair they can without damage. You just have to take your time and not try to do it all at once. I generally don't blow dry my hair, I air dry but I have used these methods successfully without damage.

When my hair was past my bra strap, my regimen was to wash my hair once a week. i would towel dry it to 95%. then i would blow dry on medium to straighten/detangle. once it was straight and detangled (not yet 100% dry), i would allow my hair to completely dry before flat ironing it. i have fine hair, so i used the lowest setting. man, i want my hair back.
frown.gif

here is what i do (i posted this in another thread going on too). i wash&deep condition. then leave my hair wrapped in a towel so it's not dripping wet anymore. then i take the towel off and put the l'oreal smooth intense serum in my hair. then i comb through and detangle. then i put my hair in a bun so the fron part dries straight automatically. after a couple of hours i take the bun out and use a big round brush to blowdry the rest of my hair in sections. on each section i spray "african pride heat protectant". when i'm finished i rub a couple of drops of oil in my hands and smooth over my hair so i don't have no flyaways. and that's it. i really love to wear my hair like that. but i don't do it often because of the heat and as it gets longer it's more work too. but it really works great for me.

Hi DSD,

You said that you finish your style with some biosilk. What type of biosilk? They have several different products. Is it the finishing spray?

Thanks!

Biosilk silk therapy. It's not a finishing spray it is a serum. I put a little on my hands and work it into my hair. I use just a little because to much can weigh down your hair.

I used to use Biosilk silk therapy as well but then I realized that Biosilk has SD_40 Alcohol-b in it. I dont think this is good for the hair so I stopped using it. It was a really good product though and did make my hair super soft and shiny. Is anyone else concerned about this???

Back