Relaxed 4a/b DYING to get highlights...talk me into it(or out of it!)

LawyerBarbie07

HI YA'LL

Now that I'm at BSL I'm dying for highlights to add some dimension to my hair. I've had bad coloring experiences in the past, but that was before I learned how to take care of my hair via this site. Now I really really want some color and dimension (caramel brown) but I'm terrified that all of my hard work on my hair will be ruined.

What do you guys think? Has anyone had great or awful experiences with caring for their highlights?

Also, where would you suggest getting it done if do decide (I'm thinking Supercuts because I don't have a stylist but I've had great experiences for trims with them)

Highlights Scare me! Look at my start off pic in my fotki :blush::nono:.

I haven't seen alot of of our sisters on here who have hightlights. However if you choose to do it we will support you 100%! Your hair is beautiful and I think you should stick to whats working!

Once you get them you have to keep getting them retouched or your hair will look jacked(ie like girls with blond hair dark roots) and if you no longer want them you have to dye your whole head or grown them out. It's up to you I think they look great but it is a commitment.

My album shows highlights, which have since grown out. I've never had a problem with highlights in the past, even before LHCF. I've had lowlights all the way to platinum blonde highlights. No joke my friend's were calling me storm (XMen) during the first week until they started to fade and blend more.

When I have fairly new highlights I stay far away from ponytails and I make sue I'm using products for color treated hair along with olive oil pre-poos and deep conditioners.

Everyone's hair is different, if you decide to give it a try I would go with a color that isn't too light to see how your hair reacts.

Why not start with a track of weave hair? That way you get to see what hilites look like without the commitment. Then you decide what you want to do from that point on.

If you are relaxed, double processing is no joke. I woudl not reccomend it. There was a thread created about a year and a half ago outlining how to care for your hair. I think I may have asked the same question. Let me see if I can find it and bump it for you.

Why not start with a track of weave hair? That way you get to see what hilites look like without the commitment. Then you decide what you want to do from that point on.

ITA!!! I sew in tracks of lighter color for "highlights" If done the right way it looks like you got them permantly done. If you're careful, you can even split the track in two to make it thinner and glue them in (I rarely do this anymore). My sister, like me is 4B. She got highlights and a few months later, her hair is breaking off. Honestly if you do not have the time to maintain them (i.e. constantly moisturizing double-processed hair), it may not be the best idea. HTH

Highlights were THE ULTIMATE RUIN for my hair. It's taken me quite a while to grow it all off my head. Now I'll never go back. I'd suggest you try the sew in method (sounds like a good idea!) and stay away from the chemicals cuz it's a big risk.

I say "don't do it" unless you want to be back on here in three months time upset about how your hair is breaking off!

I'm 4z and my hair is SUPER dry. My highlights did not grow out, they broke out. I had a short patch left everywhere I had highlights. Try the tracks. That way you can switch them up and it's nothing permanently done to your hair.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

I'm just going to have to tell you not to do it. I'm sorry, but I got my hair highlighted while I was NATURAL and that stuff broke off like nothing before! Some hair just can't handle color. I thought that because I knew how to moisturize and deep condition and went to a color expert for streaks that I would be able to rock that look. Girl, no! Just don't do it if you want to stay at BSL.

Now if you don't mind starting over, go for what you know, but I don't suggest it, no way, no how, uh uh.

I only wish highlights on girls I don't like. I know I'm wrong, but still. Double processed hair is barely EVER healthy IMO.

Although, just to be fair, two ladies that I work with have gorgeous highlights and their hair is healthy and moisturized. But again, that's rare.

HI YA'LL

Now that I'm at BSL I'm dying for highlights to add some dimension to my hair. I've had bad coloring experiences in the past, but that was before I learned how to take care of my hair via this site. Now I really really want some color and dimension (caramel brown) but I'm terrified that all of my hard work on my hair will be ruined.

What do you guys think? Has anyone had great or awful experiences with caring for their highlights?

Also, where would you suggest getting it done if do decide (I'm thinking Supercuts because I don't have a stylist but I've had great experiences for trims with them)

I would test it out with some clip in extensions of that color, because once you go there, you cant go back. And no matter how much you baby it sometimes hilights just destroy your hair (like they did mine). I would go somewhere where they specialize in coloring relaxed hair (if thats possible) and do a consult with a stylist there and DO NOT do it at home!

Your hair is so pretty and healthy, I would just do clip in extensions if I were you, that way you can change your mind at any time and enjoy that beautiful natural color of yours:yep:. I had healthy hair once, :nono::nono:and now that I got the hilights I am missing chunks where there used to be color and praying it all grows out fast.:wallbash:

no way, no how, uh uh.

I only wish highlights on girls I don't like.

BUAHHHHHAAAHH!:lachen::lachen:

By the way girl, just make sure if you decide to do this (I hope you don,t I really do love your hair!) expect to be doing moisture treatments EVERY time you wash to protect it permanently. I think if I ever hilighted again I would have to start going to the salon and getting special care just to be on the safe side. Lots of moisture and protecting those ends, and dont make the mistake I made:

NEVER overlap when you get your next touch up if you decide to color, because your hair WILL fall out. Maybe not now, maybe not a week after that relaxer, but it will happen down the road when you least expect it and it wont be pretty.:nono::sad:

lol...I've been talked out of it. I guess I'll be content! But I do think I will throw some tracks in my hair to change it up a little bit...you guys are great! :grin:

I don't know, the thing about color is that it can fool you. Yes, it may start off looking great but after a few months, disaster can strike. I agree with those who say find someone who is an expert at highlighting relaxed hair. don't just ask "Do you know how to highlight relaxed hair". They all will say yes. Ask them "Are you a master hair colorist for relaxed hair" If they say "huh?" keep searching.

I use the temporary color spray on my hair when I want to add a little color. It washes right out and it curbs my urge to color permanently.

"Dont do It", it'll ruin your hair. Add some color hair pieces or use henna. I know henna will not give you highlights but it will give you some color..I used Henna and it made my black hair very black and my little gray hairs turned redish or something. I felt temporary OK w/the results because I was sporting a new color..

I know you've said you have been talked out of getting highlights but you could try a strand test. It would be just like you would do with a relaxer, try it on a small section that no one can really see and see how you hair reacts over the next couple of weeks. Then you will have a definite idea of hair your hair will hold up. Just make sure you don't baby the section more than you normaly would because then you wouldn't have a genuine result at the end of your trial. If you notice adverse effects then you will know not to get highlights and it will be a educated decision. Who knows you maybe one of the people who have great results especially since you starting with a healthy head of hair. HTH & HHG

Kittenz

I got my hair highlighted for the first time last year. Even though my hair is healthy, it is breaking off where the highlights are. So, i would agree with the majoriy, don't get them! Get a sew in or clip in.

Girl, I am begging, PLEADING with you not to use any lifting color without a strand test. Even then I dunno:nono: In my experience double process + 4 a/b hair =:hair:

Last edited:
In defense of highlights, there ARE women with long healthy hair and highlights who have no problems. It CAN be done. However,:look: in my experience this HAS been the exception not the rule. I wouldn't do it and my hair is only lightly texturized, strong as an ox and can take just about anything. It's a chance you can't take back if it doesnt work out.

Back