Reggie for 3a/3b hair

lettieg27

Hi ladies, Im trying to help my best friend come up with a simple hair reggie that she can work with so her hair can thrive. I started giving her advice and the more I realized that the advice I was giving her didnt apply to her hair, since Im a 4a.:ohwell: So ladies with that type of hair please give me some advice on recommendations for her:grin:.

I feel in conjunction with texture you have to put ones density, porosity, and strand thickness into consideration. What do you feel is wrong with her hair now and whats her routine usually like?

I've been told I'm somewhere in the 3abc range. I use a lot of the same products and techniques as 4's. It might be helpful to direct her to Naturallycurly.com though. There are more girls with 3ab hair - from diverse backgrounds with varying thickness, porosity, density etc...

Thanks guys her hair has low density and medium strands not sure about her porosity. For the most part she is really concerned with treating her heat damage in the front and learning how to care for her hair. She loves weaves and wigs because with her own hair she gets bored quickly and starts to manipulate it too much.

I have 3A hair and I found this board more helpful than naturally curly, personally. Actually the only board on naturally curly that I ever visit is 4a.
I take care of my hair like most of the type 4s on this board, just with less DCing and less moisturizer. Most of the time I don't even use a moisturizer at all. I DC maybe once a month.
But if your friends hair is damaged, she probably needs more of that.

My regimen is daily cowashing, sulfate free shampoo once a week, protein (aphogee or a protein heavy dominican conditioner) 1-2 times a week. I finger detangle every time I cowash
I try to avoid styling products because my hair is very fine and gets dull with build up very easily.

I can't wear braids or twists. That would be a good protective style for a type 4, but for me it's way more combing and product than is necessary. My hair just does not hold in styles like that and my hair is so fine that no matter how loose the braids are it's always too much tension and will give me breakage. I wonder if your friend has that issue with her weaves

As far as styling goes, I don't use heat or a comb. My hair does not tangle easily and a daily finger combing in the shower is enough. If I put leave in and oil on, I can wear my hair down and curly without any other product except maybe a frizz serum on a very humid day.
If I want waves, I put my hair in 2 pocahontas braids. If I want straight hair, I put day old hair in a bun.

The biggest mistakes I made in the past were just doing more than my hair required; combing and brushing, heavy products, and relaxer.
Since my hair is so fine there is really no saving it or hiding the damage once it gets all broken and full of split ends.

Back