Rant : Linange Relaxer Broke Off My Hair

mzhotniz86

Ok so , some months ago I did a thread about linange making my hair so soft & pretty bla bla. Well I noticed over time that my hair was kind of thinning on 1 side (I figured i over processed it, plus I was battling heat damage over the years). Nevertheless, i stretched my relaxer for a about 17 weeks and I did a retouch with linange again the middle of june. I did everything right, i took my time & relaxed in 4 sections, even shortened my processing time, applied product to protect my ends from relaxer run off. I neutralized each section 4 times ,2 with the linange neutralizer & 2 with isoplus neutralizer. Then neutralized the whole head at once after doing each section. Then used joico deep reconstructor & then dc with ao white camelia. I know I applied the relaxer correctly for sure. I did a trim & it looked fine. A couple weeks later I noticed my ends looked scraggly so I trimmed again .I did a sewin a month ago. I washed my hair today & noticed a section broken off (see pic). I expected shedding because I always have shedding. But this is completely broken off from the roots. I know its the relaxer! My hair looks & feels dryer everytime i washed it. Im so pissed off right now i just need to vent. Idk if this relaxer was expired or what, but never again! Im switching to ors lye relaxer, it seems a lot of people have good results with it. I had ordered a new tub of it before my last retouch & im trashing it now.

Attachments

• 20160814_032359.jpg
    20160814_032359.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 186
I'm sorry this happened to you.

Any chance that it was the following:

1. Putting a sew in on thin, dry, heat damaged hair (as you mentioned).

2. Having Full knowledge that the hair had been over processed...but relaxing anyway.

3. Trimming with dull scissors.

4. Stress or hormone related hair loss.

I telax, but only on lush, thick, healthy hair. If I add chemicals to dry, thinning, unhealthy hair - I can't blame anyone but myself.

You're not alone though- I did something similar once upon a time and later learned from my mistakes.

I've never used the relaxer you're speaking of or the new one you want time try.

I suggest waiting...reassessing and allowing the bald spot to grow in.

When I was relaxed I used the Linage texturizer to Texlax and I never had a problem. Based on my experiences with relaxing, underlying hair problems ( dry hair, breakage, thinning) have to be dealt with before relaxing hair or results can be catastrophic. When I had prior hair problems, I learned to address the problems and nurse my hair back to health and waiting 9-12 months before applying more chemicals. If your hair was in good health before applying the relaxer, maybe there was a problem with the relaxer itself or maybe that particular relaxer does not agree with your hair. Baby your hair back to good health before applying any more chemicals. Good luck!

I'm sorry this happened to you.

Any chance that it was the following:

1. Putting a sew in on thin, dry, heat damaged hair (as you mentioned).

2. Having Full knowledge that the hair had been over processed...but relaxing anyway.

3. Trimming with dull scissors.

4. Stress or hormone related hair loss.

I telax, but only on lush, thick, healthy hair. If I add chemicals to dry, thinning, unhealthy hair - I can't blame anyone but myself.

You're not alone though- I did something similar once upon a time and later learned from my mistakes.

I've never used the relaxer you're speaking of or the new one you want time try.

I suggest waiting...reassessing and allowing the bald spot to grow in.
Yes. I thought id be ok to apply it because i had stretched for 17 weeks, but I guess not. Im definitely going to watch it & start back wearing my wigs

Sorry this happened.

Is there any consensus at LHCF about the healthiest relaxer available?
:eek:

I'd wrote a letter tony he manufacturers explaining exactly what you told us attach the pic!

Yes there is i believe. From what i can see ors relaxer, design essentials & mizani are some of the top ones. I used to use mizani & my stylist switched me to design essentials. I figured they were too strong, but now Im realizing Ive been getting damaged hair relaxed . im going to reach out to the shipper, because there is no telling how long they've had this on their shelves. Linange is hard to find & it makes me think they discontinued making it & may be selling old stuff

When I was relaxed I used the Linage texturizer to Texlax and I never had a problem. Based on my experiences with relaxing, underlying hair problems ( dry hair, breakage, thinning) have to be dealt with before relaxing hair or results can be catastrophic. When I had prior hair problems, I learned to address the problems and nurse my hair back to health and waiting 9-12 months before applying more chemicals. If your hair was in good health before applying the relaxer, maybe there was a problem with the relaxer itself or maybe that particular relaxer does not agree with your hair. Baby your hair back to good health before applying any more chemicals. Good luck!
Thanks! Im going to try to stretch for a year. Its just really hard figuring out how to style my hair while im stretching. Wigs are cool but like sewins because i dont have to take the hair off every night lol. But i see that even the net cap sewin that i did still may be too much.

I also noticed a small section of my edges in the front middle are broken off too, & i never had issues with that area. Im so sad & feel like a dummy. Ive been stretching 17 weeks at a time in between relaxers for the past 2 years just to have this set back smh

I'm sorry you suffered a setback. When I was relaxed/texlaxed I used Linange Lye texturizer and had beautiful results, best relaxer I had ever used. Unfortunately, not everything works for everybody. Good luck with your hair recovery.

I am so sorry! I can relate to having a catastrophic setback. Hugs!
I'm sorry you suffered a setback. When I was relaxed/texlaxed I used Linange Lye texturizer and had beautiful results, best relaxer I had ever used. Unfortunately, not everything works for everybody. Good luck with your hair recovery.

Thank you. Im going to start over & be patient. Im considering texlaxing

I also noticed a small section of my edges in the front middle are broken off too, & i never had issues with that area. Im so sad & feel like a dummy. Ive been stretching 17 weeks at a time in between relaxers for the past 2 years just to have this set back smh

I know how you feel and I am so sorry that you are going thru this. Maybe you can pull you hair back loosely and wear a phony pony if you don't want to wig it or get sew in. This is what I do to give my hair a break and this protective style really helps a lot! Hang in there, your hair will come back in time. I am going thru a hair trauma caused by high heat from a dry sauna now and my hair is slowly coming back. There were times when I was ready to cut it all off and start anew but I gradually cut, keep conditioning and protective styling and 15 months later, my hair is much better-- not 100% but getting there, and yours will too!

It did mine too... not at first but eventually I noticed extensive breakage in areas :(. Relaxers can work insidiously esp with heat damage. I've been using it for maybe close to 2 years. I finally tossed my last jar out in June and I'm going natural.

Last edited:
Girl, sorry that happened to you but that's the main reason why I stopped relaxing my hair. When I was relaxed, I usually do a touchup every 16 weeks using Phytorelaxer and no matter what I do, follow the instructions to a T and still got breakage and thinning. Now that I'm almost three years relaxer free, I no longer worry about over-processing, breakage, burns and the like. My hair might not be easy to manage, but it is growing back healthy and stronger than it has ever been. In another couple of months, I am going to proclaim that this is the longest my hair has every been in it's natural state.:afro:

I know how you feel and I am so sorry that you are going thru this. Maybe you can pull you hair back loosely and wear a phony pony if you don't want to wig it or get sew in. This is what I do to give my hair a break and this protective style really helps a lot! Hang in there, your hair will come back in time. I am going thru a hair trauma caused by high heat from a dry sauna now and my hair is slowly coming back. There were times when I was ready to cut it all off and start anew but I gradually cut, keep conditioning and protective styling and 15 months later, my hair is much better-- not 100% but getting there, and yours will too!

Aww man! That's crazy but i think im going to the same as you. Keep trimming off damaged areas & dc. Thanks for the tips

It did mine too... not at first but eventually I noticed extensive breakage in areas :(. Relaxers can work insidiously esp with heat damage. I've been using it for maybe close to 2 years. I finally tossed my last jar out in June and I'm going natural.

I knew i wasn't tripping! Ive used different relaxers in the past and NEVER in all my years had this happen. Its crazy. I think they are selling expired stuff but there is no way to really tell. Its funny how this manufacturer doesnt even advertise this relaxer & you can only really get it from these 3rd party websites smh. As soft & bouncy as it made my hair feel, i still think it was too harsh & i didn't even leave it on long. I dumped a full jar out. I wouldn't even dare pass it along to anyone

Girl, sorry that happened to you but that's the main reason why I stopped relaxing my hair. When I was relaxed, I usually do a touchup every 16 weeks using Phytorelaxer and no matter what I do, follow the instructions to a T and still got breakage and thinning. Now that I'm almost three years relaxer free, I no longer worry about over-processing, breakage, burns and the like. My hair might not be easy to manage, but it is growing back healthy and stronger than it has ever been. In another couple of months, I am going to proclaim that this is the longest my hair has every been in it's natural state.:afro:
Your hair is thick & pretty! I dont have the patience to go full natural at all & im intensely tenderheaded lol. But im going to stretch for like a year & see if i can manage my texture.

I knew i wasn't tripping! Ive used different relaxers in the past and NEVER in all my years had this happen. Its crazy. I think they are selling expired stuff but there is no way to really tell. Its funny how this manufacturer doesnt even advertise this relaxer & you can only really get it from these 3rd party websites smh. As soft & bouncy as it made my hair feel, i still think it was too harsh & i didn't even leave it on long. I dumped a full jar out. I wouldn't even dare pass it along to anyone
No lye relaxers seem to break my hair even worse than lye... Linange is gentle but I think any relaxer will cause breakage for me.
I know @sharifeh had a very bad breakage experience with Linange so you are not alone.

Its true that purchasing it is iffy. You don't know what you're getting...

I'm so sorry this happened. Reading through your routine made me confident that you were doing everything you could to prevent further damage. :(

Perhaps you can baby your hair under wigs and then decide if you want to continue relaxing? I would start with a medical check up to rule out hormones or nutrient deficiencies. Then I would add daily scalp massages with castor or coconut oils (or your favorite carrier oil) and a few drops of rosemary, garlic, clary sage, and tea tree essential oils. I would try another JOICO protein treatment followed with a moisturizing conditioner and monitor my hair.

I've only heard good things about the brand you used until the OP and Shred's post. I've even suggested it to my relaxed/textlaxed friends.

I'm so sorry this happened. Reading through your routine made me confident that you were doing everything you could to prevent further damage. :(

Perhaps you can baby your hair under wigs and then decide if you want to continue relaxing? I would start with a medical check up to rule out hormones or nutrient deficiencies. Then I would add daily scalp massages with castor or coconut oils (or your favorite carrier oil) and a few drops of rosemary, garlic, clary sage, and tea tree essential oils. I would try another JOICO protein treatment followed with a moisturizing conditioner and monitor my hair.

I've only heard good things about the brand you used until the OP and Shred's post. I've even suggested it to my relaxed/textlaxed friends.

Thank you! Yes im going to keep my hair cornrowed under my wigs & alternate between that & double twists. Keep it moisturized & do prot treatments as suggested. Im going to stretch until next year & decide on how to handle the new growth then. I cant believe how bad my hair has gotten, but the good thing is that it will grow back! Lol. I started taking my multivitamins too so im praying it will work out. Thanks for the tips!

Yikes, I'm glad you mentioned this. I've used Linange Lye on and off for years, but whenever I'd stop, it was because I wanted bone-straight results and it wasn't doing that for me. I've tried Nairobi, Mizani (BB and Regular most recently) and while they all gave good results, my hair was suffering from some past setback issues and the underlying problems were still there no matter what.

So, I've decided to nurse and leave my hair alone, and for my most recent touch up (6 weeks ago), I decided to use Linange because it was the most gentle relaxer I'd ever used. My hair wasn't bone straight, but it was better that way considering the texture of my hair, and the touch up went splendidly. I've only ever had great experiences with this relaxer (regarding consistent, gentle results) but as another poster stated, it's not for everyone. ORS is another popular relaxer for sure, but my venture into trying Linange in the first place was due to all the raves on this board.

Does your most recent tub look like this:
41E9XkFYPvL.jpg

Formula is still the same but they've changed up the look. This particular relaxer is SO EASY to find in NYC, so when I found out about the 'new look', I sought out the new packaging, assuming anything in the older blue label was, obviously, older.

But really, it may not matter either way. So sorry about your experience and I hope you can get your hair back to tip top shape soon!

I am soo sorry this happened to!!!! I am considering to textlax but I am waiting for my breakage and shedding to stop before I do so.

Ok so , some months ago I did a thread about linange making my hair so soft & pretty bla bla. Well I noticed over time that my hair was kind of thinning on 1 side (I figured i over processed it, plus I was battling heat damage over the years). Nevertheless, i stretched my relaxer for a about 17 weeks and I did a retouch with linange again the middle of june. I did everything right, i took my time & relaxed in 4 sections, even shortened my processing time, applied product to protect my ends from relaxer run off. I neutralized each section 4 times ,2 with the linange neutralizer & 2 with isoplus neutralizer. Then neutralized the whole head at once after doing each section. Then used joico deep reconstructor & then dc with ao white camelia. I know I applied the relaxer correctly for sure. I did a trim & it looked fine. A couple weeks later I noticed my ends looked scraggly so I trimmed again .I did a sewin a month ago. I washed my hair today & noticed a section broken off (see pic). I expected shedding because I always have shedding. But this is completely broken off from the roots. I know its the relaxer! My hair looks & feels dryer everytime i washed it. Im so pissed off right now i just need to vent. Idk if this relaxer was expired or what, but never again! Im switching to ors lye relaxer, it seems a lot of people have good results with it. I had ordered a new tub of it before my last retouch & im trashing it now.

I'm truly sorry this is happening to you. I can't help but be somewhat curious about putting a sew in, in your hair. I recently did this and I'm currently experiencing a set back myself. It was my first sew in and at first I thought it was the relaxer as well because I put it in close to when I got my sew in done. The only other thing I can think of, is possibly your hair didn't like how long you stretched between relaxers. I know that sounds silly, but I tend to start having problems with my hair if I go past 14 weeks. Even when I do relax I've noticed my hair will still want to break off from the root as you have mentioned.

No
Yikes, I'm glad you mentioned this. I've used Linange Lye on and off for years, but whenever I'd stop, it was because I wanted bone-straight results and it wasn't doing that for me. I've tried Nairobi, Mizani (BB and Regular most recently) and while they all gave good results, my hair was suffering from some past setback issues and the underlying problems were still there no matter what.

So, I've decided to nurse and leave my hair alone, and for my most recent touch up (6 weeks ago), I decided to use Linange because it was the most gentle relaxer I'd ever used. My hair wasn't bone straight, but it was better that way considering the texture of my hair, and the touch up went splendidly. I've only ever had great experiences with this relaxer (regarding consistent, gentle results) but as another poster stated, it's not for everyone. ORS is another popular relaxer for sure, but my venture into trying Linange in the first place was due to all the raves on this board.

41E9XkFYPvL.jpg

Formula is still the same but they've changed up the look. This particular relaxer is SO EASY to find in NYC, so when I found out about the 'new look', I sought out the new packaging, assuming anything in the older blue label was, obviously, older.

But really, it may not matter either way. So sorry about your experience and I hope you can get your hair back to tip top shape soon!
eNope!
Mine waawaa

41E9XkFYPvL.jpg

Nope! Mine was in a mint colored tub :(. I think it was def old. Im staying away from relaxers gor awhile im so traumatized lol. But thanks i will keep with the healthy practices & see how the ors does

I am soo sorry this happened to!!!! I am considering to textlax but I am waiting for my breakage and shedding to stop before I do so.
Yes me too! I am stretching my relaxer to see how my texture is. Im still having breakage & shedding everytime i wash my hair so i know its not ready for anything harsh

I'm truly sorry this is happening to you. I can't help but be somewhat curious about putting a sew in, in your hair. I recently did this and I'm currently experiencing a set back myself. It was my first sew in and at first I thought it was the relaxer as well because I put it in close to when I got my sew in done. The only other thing I can think of, is possibly your hair didn't like how long you stretched between relaxers. I know that sounds silly, but I tend to start having problems with my hair if I go past 14 weeks. Even when I do relax I've noticed my hair will still want to break off from the root as you have mentioned.

Yes it could be, but i sewed mostly on top of a net cap & made sure to get under it to moisturize regularly. I think residual heat damage over the years & relaxer & then sewin may have been too harsh. But my hair has never done this in the past w sewins . & even a part of the front of my leave out is broken off. So i still think it was mostly the relaxer

Yes me too! I am stretching my relaxer to see how my texture is. Im still having breakage & shedding everytime i wash my hair so i know its not ready for anything harsh

What stopped my breakage/ shedding was a henna treatment and mixing blended garlic with my deep conditioner -Ettenio Moisture Infusion - and doing a full head baggy for a few days afterwards. I also applied a few drops garlic and onion tincture directly to my scalp. Stretching for as long as possible is vital. Ill be doing frequent yogurt treatments in between to help with that.

What stopped my breakage/ shedding was a henna treatment and mixing blended garlic with my deep conditioner -Ettenio Moisture Infusion - and doing a full head baggy for a few days afterwards. I also applied a few drops garlic and onion tincture directly to my scalp. Stretching for as long as possible is vital. Ill be doing frequent yogurt treatments in between to help with that.

Hmmm i think ill have to try that garlic too thanks!

Back