Questions For Bun Wearers!!!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
For those who are doing the bun challenge or wear buns frequently...when you re-do your bun, do u experience breakage everytime??? If so, do u still retain a great amount of hair length doing the bun challenge overall???

Ive been experiencing breakage each time I redo my bun, but I think its due to wearing my hair down the week before.

*When I redo my bun, I re-moisturize my hair, brush my edges, comb thru the loose hair, put loose hair into a ponytail, do a two-strand twist with loose hair, and twirl it into a bun, I use velvet scrunchies and don't secure it tight...anything Im doing wrong that's causing me breakage? Is redoing the bun too much manipulation to begin with?

I also wanted to add that I got my last relaxer June 13 and it turned out underprocessed. So I have like between 2-3 months of new growth! Could the two different textures be causing breakge???

Last edited:

Dolce_Dawn

Hmmm... what kind of ponytail holder are you using? I'm not on the bun challenge, but when I make my buns I don't have breakage re-doing them.

ChasingBliss

Poohbear, maybe you should just twist from the start...Try not using any bands or holders. Nothing holds my bun together except the one good hair days pin. I do all my moisturizing and then start twisting from the base, then I wrap around and around until I have a mini cinnabun. I have had no breakage from bunning like that. If I were using a ponytail holder of any kind, Im almost positive that there'd be breakage...Hope this helps.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
Hmmm... what kind of ponytail holder are you using? I'm not on the bun challenge, but when I make my buns I don't have breakage re-doing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use velvet scrunchies or an ouchless band w/ the scrunchi over it
...I do not use cotton ponytail holders.

Last edited:

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Huggette said:
Do you sleep in the bun? Or maybe it's where you are securing it is too tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not secure it tight...I avoid doing that because I know it can cause breakage.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
Poohbear, maybe you should just twist from the start...Try not using any bands or holders. Nothing holds my bun together except the one good hair days pin. I do all my moisturizing and then start twisting from the base, then I wrap around and around until I have a mini cinnabun. I have had no breakage from bunning like that. If I were using a ponytail holder of any kind, Im almost positive that there'd be breakage...Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where do u put the pin...at the base or above the bun? Is it a small, medium, or large size pin? Do you ever brush or comb your hair after moisturizing???

Leslie_C

Poohbear, look in my album at my scruncii bun thing, I dont have to use any bands or pins and Im not getting breakage from it, plus it really fills out my bun. I dont sleep in it though...

maybe this would work for you?

Also, I think that you might *think* its breaking bc of the bun, but it might really be from the way your hair is being permed bc I saw where u mentioned your mom perms your whole head every time. Have u been doing any protein treatments lately? What kind of moisturizer are u using? Also be as gentle as u can with it, like its a babies head...lol:)

The other thing is, u might be getting a normal amount of loss...I am so paranoid about shedding and breakage but when I see ppls albums who show their hair loss with comb outs, mine is the same or less. Plus when I look at my hair from all angles, its actually looking thicker. Im assuming the more hair u get, the more u will lose with combouts,etc., ya know?

KinksnCurlz

i get minimal breakage which i attribute to being almost 30 weeks post relaxer and no, it doesn't affect the overall health/length of my hair.

I've also noticed that whenever i don't use any products on my hair i experience little to no breakage whatsoever when redoing the bun. I think the products actually weigh the hair down (even if you use it sparsingly) and cause it to break... but then again, that could just b my hair. :scratchcin:

HLD - how do you secure that bun
I have the pins but I never tried it.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Poohbear, look in my album at my scruncii bun thing, I dont have to use any bands or pins and Im not getting breakage from it, plus it really fills out my bun. I dont sleep in it though...

Also, I think that you might *think* its breaking bc of the bun, but it might really be from the way your hair is being permed bc I saw where u mentioned your mom perms your whole head every time. Have u been doing any protein treatments lately? What kind of moisturizer are u using? Also be as gentle as u can with it, like its a babies head...lol:)

The other thing is, u might be getting a normal amount of loss...I am so paranoid about shedding and breakage but when I see ppls albums who show their hair loss with comb outs, mine is the same or less. Plus when I look at my hair from all angles, its actually looking thicker. Im assuming the more hair u get, the more u will lose with combouts,etc., ya know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time I use two scrunchies...I hardly ever use the bands...

I try to do a protein treatment once a week or whenever I have time with Elasta QP Breakage Control Serum...

I moisturize with either distilled water or Pantene R&N Daily Oil Cream Moisturizer, I put glossing polish all over my hair and sometimes oils on my ends...

I am always gentle with my hair to avoid breakage but after moisturizing, I see broken hairs on my hands

Maybe it is the way my mom perms but Ive never had any problems with breakage before doing the bun method...I'll just tell my mom to relax the new growth only next time for sure because my hair is also color treated...

Leslie_C, Do u ever comb or brush? How do u wear your hair when you go to sleep????

Thanks for your response!

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:

[/ QUOTE ]

or just the strength/condition of your hair in general.

Good advice!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
I've also noticed that whenever i don't use any products on my hair i experience little to no breakage whatsoever when redoing the bun. I think the products actually weigh the hair down (even if you use it sparsingly) and cause it to break... but then again, that could just b my hair. :scratchcin:

HLD - how do you secure that bun
I have the pins but I never tried it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive thought this could be the problem too...putting products in my hair...but I want hair to lay down and look nice too...I also want to know how HLD secures that bun with just one pin.

Dolce_Dawn

PB-
Also, to avoid doing it every morning I usually tie a silk scarf on it at night. Will this help you? I bun my hair either w/o a ponytail holder (like someone previously described) or Cinna-bun it with a metal-less ponytail holder and a couple of bobby pins.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
PB-
Also, to avoid doing it every morning I usually tie a silk scarf on it at night. Will this help you? I bun my hair either w/o a ponytail holder (like someone previously described) or Cinna-bun it with a metal-less ponytail holder and a couple of bobby pins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, right now I use a satin scarf that doesnt feel like satin (those so-called growth enhancing scarfs that lonei mentioned). I need a silk scarf and I think it will help greatly.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
How do u sleep with a bun???? OUCH!

[/ QUOTE ]

I sleep in a bun with no problems but Im wondering how else do u guys wear your hair at night before putting your hair inna bun???

Leslie_C

Pooh,
I only comb my hair once or twice a week to detangle it after washing/conditioning/leave in, always in sections and from the ends up. Otherwise I just fingercomb it...it takes a little trial and error to get it to look decent, especially when u get a lot of new growth.

I barely ever brush it bc I will lose a lot of hair in a brush and I barely ever run a comb through my whole head from root to tip! One of my friends gave me a touchup a few months back and she was mad at that...she was like, dont u ever comb your hair out?? this is the wilderness... LOL. I think I had about 3 months of new growth though. but I seem to lose the same amount of hair whether its daily or weekly so I think Im better off only combing it every once and a while bc thats less hair loss over time.

u can alway bun it or whatever and then just lightly comb the outer layer to smooth it(use a shower comb or seamless comb) with a little hairdressing or oil.

have u tried wearing braidouts? if u cant cornrow(I cant) u can just do random plaits with a little moisturizer/leave in/setting lotion on dry hair...then finger comb and fluff. this is low stress and its really cute. my hair likes this style...its no heat and little manipulation

ubavka123

I would also suggest ditching the "ouchless" hairband. I have used them and while they may appear to do no harm, the damage can just creep up on you if your hair isn't at its strongest. I have since replaced mine with a satin mini scrunchie that I found in a department store (couldn't be happier). I think that whole "ouchless" claim is bs and that they can still do damage. When our hair gets longer, we won't need all of these aids. Longer hair can just be twisted up and held with one bun stick or good day pin. You just twist it up and stick it in. It stays. I can do this with my hair. But my little bun needs some more oooompf before her public debut! Maybe ditch the bun and do a french twist? This is also a good protective style and would work with your length, I think. Good luck to you!

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
have u tried wearing braidouts? if u cant cornrow(I cant) u can just do random plaits with a little moisturizer/leave in/setting lotion on dry hair...then finger comb and fluff. this is low stress and its really cute. my hair likes this style...its no heat and little manipulation

[/ QUOTE ]

Im really not a fan of braidouts. Ive tried them three times: twice with individual plaits (did not work) and it turned out best when I had my mom do 6 cornrows and unbraided them in the morning. My hair doesnt look right in a braidout because Im growing out a layered cut.

aqualung

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
Ive been experiencing breakage each time I redo my bun, but I think its due to wearing my hair down the week before.

*When I redo my bun, I re-moisturize my hair, brush my edges, comb thru the loose hair, put loose hair into a ponytail, do a two-strand twist with loose hair, and twirl it into a bun, I use satin scrunchies and don't secure it tight...anything Im doing wrong that's causing me breakage? Is redoing the bun too much manipulation to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're manipulating (combing and brushing) the dry hair too much.

If I've worn my hair down in a rollerset for a week or two and I want to bun it without conditioner washing, then I apply coconut oil, smooth the hair back with my hands, braid it all into one braid, coil the braid into a bun, and pin it down with two Good Day Hair pins. I'll comb it next conditioner wash.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
ubavka123 said:
I would also suggest ditching the "ouchless" hairband. I have used them and while they may appear to do no harm, the damage can just creep up on you if your hair isn't at its strongest. I have since replaced mine with a satin mini scrunchie that I found in a department store (couldn't be happier). I think that whole "ouchless" claim is bs and that they can still do damage. When our hair gets longer, we won't need all of these aids. Longer hair can just be twisted up and held with one bun stick or good day pin. You just twist it up and stick it in. It stays. I can do this with my hair. But my little bun needs some more oooompf before her public debut! Maybe ditch the bun and do a french twist? This is also a good protective style and would work with your length, I think. Good luck to you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay...Ive only used those bands maybe twice. I MAINLY use velvet scrunchies!

My hair isnt long enough to do a french twist to where it would look right...

Last edited:

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

*When I redo my bun, I re-moisturize my hair, brush my edges, comb thru the loose hair, put loose hair into a ponytail, do a two-strand twist with loose hair, and twirl it into a bun, I use satin scrunchies and don't secure it tight...anything Im doing wrong that's causing me breakage? Is redoing the bun too much manipulation to begin with?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I've worn my hair down in a rollerset for a week or two and I want to bun it without conditioner washing, then I apply coconut oil, smooth the hair back with my hands, braid it all into one braid, coil the braid into a bun, and pin it down with two Good Day Hair pins. I'll comb it next conditioner wash.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair isnt dry when I put it into a bun...I moisturize it with distilled water and/or Patene R&N Daily Oil Cream Moisturizer. Then I put oils on my ends and a glossing polish all over my hair.

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
How do u sleep with a bun???? OUCH!

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally sleep on my side so I'm cool!

Huggette

Keeping your hair in the bun all day--while sleeping may be a contributing factor. Although you say it doesn't bother you it may be stressing your hair. Just a thought, maybe you could try to wear it another way while you sleep. Something less constricting.

But your hair may also be a little overprocessed. It's little pieces from the ends in your hands after you moisturize?

Leslie_C

Pooh, there u go again being difficult...just forget it, Im through with you! lol;) just kidding g-friend...
*siiiighhhh*.....what about bantu knots? that could be cute, when I do mine it looks kind of like a roller set but they dont hold up well in this FL humidity and I havent found a solution to looking like chaka khan in half an hour once Ive left the house, so I dont do them.

Also, how about those satin sponge rollers? those can even be slept in and you could either wear it down or up in a clip? there is a girl here whose hair reminds me of yours and she had some nice no heat styling methods....Ill have to try to find her album...

Dolce_Dawn

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair isnt dry when I put it into a bun...I moisturize it with distilled water and/or Patene R&N Daily Oil Cream Moisturizer. Then I put oils on my ends and a glossing polish all over my hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ay, caramba!!! That may be the problem, too! If you are styling/pulling your hair back while it's at its weakest (wet or damp) you are risking breakage BIG TIME!!!!!

Leslie_C

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
megonw said:
[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ay, caramba!!! That may be the problem, too! If you are styling/pulling your hair back while it's at its weakest (wet or damp) you are risking breakage BIG TIME!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, I notice when I dampen my hair with products and am pulling it, I will lose hair that way. I guess its best to moisturize it without getting it too wet, and if u do, dont touch it till it dries.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Pooh, there u go again being difficult...just forget it, Im through with you! lol;) just kidding g-friend...
*siiiighhhh*.....what about bantu knots? that could be cute, when I do mine it looks kind of like a roller set but they dont hold up well in this FL humidity and I havent found a solution to looking like chaka khan in half an hour once Ive left the house, so I dont do them.

Also, how about those satin sponge rollers? those can even be slept in and you could either wear it down or up in a clip? there is a girl here whose hair reminds me of yours and she had some nice no heat styling methods....Ill have to try to find her album...

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be difficult for another time
but I need to do something that doesnt take too much time...Ive never tried batu knots and I'll be spending a whole lotta time trying to get them perfect...also Ive worn my hair in rollers (magnetic) at night with no problems but I need to wear my hair in a way that doesnt take so much time to do before going to bed...Im tired at the end of the day. Putting rollers (whether its a lot or a few) in my hair can make my arms tired...especially when u have to re-do the roller when its not rolled correctly.

Does anyone wrap their hair at night before putting their hair inna bun in the morning???

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Dolce_Dawn said:

[/ QUOTE ]

well its not wet or SOAKING WET...its a little damp or moisturized. So how can I moisturize my hair with out it being a little damped or feeling moisturized? My hair is at its weakest state when its dry...Im sure the weakest state of hair is different for everyone...right? I could be wrong...

candycane

All of this talk is making me realize some of the mistakes I have been making with my buns. I have been struggling with my buns for years. Every time I take my bun down, I have hairs around my ponytail holder. I have been using the ouchless ponytail holders...thinking they were going to be perfectly acceptable. Obviously I am wrong. Does anyone know where I can find satin pony tail holders? Perhaps that would help to reduce the breakage I am ALWAYS experiencing.

candycane