Questions about CORNROWS (???)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Now, I've started to wear cornrows as my main style. On my wash day, I will shampoo & condition, and get my mom to blowdry my hair in sections and cornrow my hair.

I have three moisturizers:
Elasta QP Penetrating Moisturizer
Elasta QP Mango Butter
S-Curl No Drip Formula

Do I need to use a moisturizer before getting cornrows? If so, do I need to use a moisturizer before blowdrying AND after blowdrying?

Which moisturizer should I use on my cornrows during the week before I wash it again?

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

Poohbear said:
Now, I've started to wear cornrows as my main style. On my wash day, I will shampoo & condition, and get my mom to blowdry my hair in sections and cornrow my hair.

I have three moisturizers:
Elasta QP Penetrating Moisturizer
Elasta QP Mango Butter
S-Curl No Drip Formula

Do I need to use a moisturizer before getting cornrows? If so, do I need to use a moisturizer before blowdrying AND after blowdrying?

Which moisturizer should I use on my cornrows during the week before I wash it again?

Thanks in advance!!! ;)

Is there a particular reason you are blowdrying?

I ususally deep condition overnight the night before getting cornrows, but I don't moisturize too near the time my hair is braided, because the braids end up neater and hold longer if your hair isn't slippery with moisture.

During the week, I moisturize with regular ol' Wonder 8 Oil. I put it onto my hair, snap on a shower cap, and then take my shower. I take really hot showers, so the oil sinks into my hair and it's like a weird type of Hot Oil treatment.

cincybrownsugar said:
Is there a particular reason you are blowdrying?
Yes because airdrying messes up my hair. When I airdry, my hair is more prone to breakage. Blowdrying blends the two textures together. So when I get my hair cornrowed, my mom doesn't have to comb through my new growth when my hair is dry just to get it straight enough to cornrow all of my hair. I've been transitioning for 7 months and my two texture are extremely different. My new growth grows in tiny spirally coils and my relaxed hair is thin/bone straight.

I've been wearing my hair cornrowed under my Sensationnel Instant weave. I wash, condition, put in my leave in and let airdry PARTIALLY. And braid my hair when its slightly damp. My cornrows seem to stay better for me like this and it eliminates the issuses I have with total airdrying. I get dryness and breakage too when I totally airdry.

Anyway, I've decided to use the Penetrating Moisturizer on wet hair, and the Mango butter on dry hair.

Back