Question! Please Help!!!

nadi1010

Hey everyone!!! I am new to this website and am sooo excited about talking with you guys, you really know ALOT of info! I really need some advice because I have limited resources here. My mom is white, my dad is Middle Eastern. I was born with this unbelievably fine, kinky kinky hair, and I have never really found someone who knows how to take care of it. In my senior year of high school, this one lady from the Caribbean, who had similar hair, really got my hair to grow. My hair was soo healthy then. But then I moved to Ohio and it was really hard for me to find a good hairdresser. Last year, because of stress, over-relaxing, and not eating right, I lost my hair in chunks. It was so upsetting, but my hairdresser and I decided to make a change and quit with the chemicals, and I started taking lots of vitamins and using all-natural ingrediants for my hair. It has been a year since I last grew out my hair, and it has been growing back, slowly. In the last six months, I have been working with this one hairdresser from my home, a lady who has worked with all types of hair. She is really excellent...I have been wearing micros for four months(don't worry, I took them out after 2 months and gave them a rest before I put them in again:) ), and now I am going to wear braids again before school starts. I love the style, it really fits my personality and style, and my hair has really taken well to them(I tend to overload on products when my hair is free). My question is, although my back and top are growing in nicely, my sides are still quite fine, although they are filling in. The first time I wore braids, they weren't super-small micros, but the second time, because I was going on vacation and was going to swim in the ocean, my hairdresser put them in very small micros, but took them out after 8 weeks. Her daughter took them out, and she is amazing and doesn't pull out any hair at all. And my hair looks healthier too. But to help my sides grow in, do you ladies think I should go back to bigger micros? Do you know of any styles that would be good to help my sides grow, or a way to style micros so that they grow? Also, the first time I wore braids, I put a lot of oils on my scalp, and they kind of clogged it. The second time, I laid off on the oils because my scalp gets enough oil in the summer anyway! But as fall is approaching, I was thinking of spraying Surge on my sides and also, Organic Root Fertilizing Hair Serum on my hairline to help keep it healthy. If you ladies have any suggestions on how to help my hair grow in braids, please please let me know!
My goal is to get my sides to grow in by January, so that I can change my style and maybe do twist extensions or twists with a ponytail. Please let me know!!! Thank you so much!

Welcome to the forum....where in Ohio are you?

Its sorta hard to read what you wrote w/o paragraphs but I do think bigger is better when it comes to braids....I think they are supposed to be at least pencil size.

Although depending on the damage, you may want to hold off completely.

Also check out growafrohairlong.com she has alot of good information on braids.

Senimoni, thanks for the reply! You are right, my thread is very hard to read, I was in a rush and didn't think of that, so I copied and pasted the second half and put it in paragraphs..

My question is, although my back and top are growing in nicely, my sides are still quite fine, although they are filling in. The first time I wore braids, they weren't super-small micros, but the second time, because I was going on vacation and was going to swim in the ocean, my hairdresser put them in very small micros, but took them out after 8 weeks. Her daughter took them out, and she is amazing and doesn't pull out any hair at all. And my hair looks healthier too. But to help my sides grow in, do you ladies think I should go back to bigger micros? Do you know of any styles that would be good to help my sides grow, or a way to style micros so that they grow?
Also, the first time I wore braids, I put a lot of oils on my scalp, and they kind of clogged it. The second time, I laid off on the oils because my scalp gets enough oil in the summer anyway! But as fall is approaching, I was thinking of spraying Surge on my sides and also, Organic Root Fertilizing Hair Serum on my hairline to help keep it healthy. If you ladies have any suggestions on how to help my hair grow in braids, please please let me know!
My goal is to get my sides to grow in by January, so that I can change my style and maybe do twist extensions or twists with a ponytail. Please let me know!!! Thank you so much!

Yes, I have heard bigger is better too, although my hairdresser told me with my hair being so fine, I don't want to make the braids too big or there will be too much weight on them...

Senimoni...I am from Cinci, btw! I noticed you are from Cleveland...I just came from there, I went up there for a week to visit my boyfriend's family...I really liked it, the people there are a little more liberal and open-minded than Cinci...

Have you considered natural styles using just your hair? Maybe twists or flat twists? This should be less stress on your hairline. And I think you can wash and condition your hair better when its not covered up by extension hair.

Caligirl-
What is the difference between twists and flat twists? What about twist extensions? Are those less stressful on the hair? Thanks!

Flat twists lay on your head--like cornrows. I've heard bad things about twist extensions, like they eat up your hair.

Really?? How do they eat up your hair? To get cornrows, I would have to grow out my hair on my sides more, plus, cornrows create "gaps" in the scalp, and I am really trying to fill out my hair...

hi nadi!! and welcome, u will find alotta good stuff here on LHCF, I love it and all of the ladies here have helped me to grow my hair, and now i am on a new journey growing my haor natural...braid will npt take out your hair at all IF done correctly..i have smedium braids in my hair now (thats my new word between small and medium..lol), and my hair is doing great..the key to wering braids is..dont dont dont braid ur hair tight!! this is so critical..also super duper moisture..also very key...there is a web site that is great for growng your hair out with braids...i think its www.growafrohair.com, not exactly sure but if thats not it im sure u can do a search here on the board...

Hey Nadi, me again! I agree that maybe medium to large braids may be better in aiding the growth of your hair. But it's not just that, it's the size of the parts. If you're doing Micros, make sure the braider doesn't part your hair in micro parts--make sure they're medium or large. Hope that helps :).

Welcome! I was going to suggest the same website (Crown And Glory). I wear braids a majority of the year with breaks in between and I use this website. Another one is the Braids by Breslin - Professional Hair Braiding Products and Services Not only do they have how-to DVD but they also have good information about caring for braids and hair in general. From time to time you might even see Ms. Marquetta Breslin on this board. I wish you happy hair growing! ;)

asummertyme said:
hi nadi!! and welcome, u will find alotta good stuff here on LHCF, I love it and all of the ladies here have helped me to grow my hair, and now i am on a new journey growing my haor natural...braid will npt take out your hair at all IF done correctly..i have smedium braids in my hair now (thats my new word between small and medium..lol), and my hair is doing great..the key to wering braids is..dont dont dont braid ur hair tight!! this is so critical..also super duper moisture..also very key...there is a web site that is great for growng your hair out with braids...i think its www.growafrohair.com, not exactly sure but if thats not it im sure u can do a search here on the board...

Back