Question about sealing moisture with oil

RODI

Hi All,

I'm new to posting but not new to looking around and learning. I have a question about daily use of oil to seal in moisture.

I have read many members say that oil seals and lock out anything once on hair and that's the reason for using it to lock in moisture.

Most members also wash their hair an average of 2X a week and moisturize 1 to 2x dailing while using an oil to lock in that moisture.

My question is, if after the first time washing your hair and sealing in the moisture with oil, would that oil not lock out any other attempts to moisturize until you wash your hair again??

ravenmerlita

Good question. I don't know the answer. Just wanted to say welcome to LHCF. I'm sure you'll get some knowledgeable replies soon. :welcome:

NAKISH66

WELCOME! This is a great question as I wonder the same thing. Hopefully one of the ladies can answer it.

kiesha8185

Hi All,

I'm new to posting but not new to looking around and learning. I have a question about daily use of oil to seal in moisture.

I have read many members say that oil seals and lock out anything once on hair and that's the reason for using it to lock in moisture.

Most members also wash their hair an average of 2X a week and moisturize 1 to 2x dailing while using an oil to lock in that moisture.

My question is, if after the first time washing your hair and sealing in the moisture with oil, would that oil not lock out any other attempts to moisturize until you wash your hair again??

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm gonna give you my experience with moisturizing/sealing, and hopefully others can join in with what works for them as well.

I used to seal with oils when I first joined this forum. It worked ok. But one thing that I noticed is that it is not necessary (for my hair). I only realized this after I stopped doing it. I try my best to rely on my moisturizing deep conditioners to get moisture into my strands. External methods (applying moisturizer) only allows for temporary moisture (hence the necessity to moisturize daily).

Sealing doesn't help me retain moisture longer at all. I actually think it made me have to moisturize more often. When I used to seal with oil, I would have to moisturize almost daily. Now I only have to moisturize every other day, or every couple days.

I agree with what you said (the bolded). Sealing with oil just makes me have to wash my hair sooner. Your best bet would be to find a GREAT moisturizing deep conditioner, so moisturizing daily wouldn't be an issue.

I hope this helps. Welcome again, and happy hair growing!!

blackbarbie

Hi All,

O.K. I'm no expert but I will take a stab at this, but if you wash your hair with shampoo, it will probably break down any oils or whatever you have in your hair to give you a clean palette (sp.) to work with. Know that "stripped" feel you get when you shampoo? It's the laurel sulfate in the shampoo (or whatever that first ingredient is) that is cleansing everything away. When you have a clean palette, you can start fresh, moisturize again and seal the moisture in all over again with your oils.

A lot of members co-wash every few days, but they do so with conditioner only and then follow up by sealing with oils. Conditioner will moisturize your hair as it is and then you follow up with sealing. Most people that co-wash frequently say that their hair feels more moisturized more often - seems as if the moisture is constantly locked in. But at some point, you will have to use a clarifying shampoo to break all the buildup down though.

I don't know if that's the right answer, but it makes sense to me....
Hope that helped.....

BB

caliber38

I think the oil probably does seal in moisture..but only temporarily. Thats why I think people do it everyday. If you moisturize and seal with oil the moisture may last a little longer, if you have dry hair. I think it probably just gets soaked up into the hair after a day or 2 though.

missty1029

Good Question!!!
The other day I let my hair air dry with nothing but some leave in conditioner. And my hair felt sooooo dry still. I normally put coconut oil in my hair or a mixture of VO5 conditioner and alma oil and bun. So it made me thing back to here were people say oil does not moisturize. And I need moisture!!!! So I am going to have to deep condition more often and go back and finish searching about other ways to moisturize. My conditioner/amla mixture and coconut oil is good for the bun but not when I want to wear my hair out!!!

nappity

I seal with oil to lock moisture in albeit temporarily. My hair is very dry and anything i can do to pacify my ends and keep them supple while I style works.
I ordinarily wash every 3-5 days and I'm using the shikakai wash- (strengthening, it is, but not a moisturizer per se).
So after I deep condition. On wet hair- I never use a towel unless its to put it on my shoulders when I'm scritching with Ayurvedic brew- I put in a moisturizer like Giovanni Direct or my current favorite ElucenceMB then apply oil to the length of my hair- especially the ends then put a plastic cap on for 5 minutes. When I take the plastic cap off- my hair can be sectioned and parted and styled with only my hands.
HTH

Artemis

I don't moisturize or seal everyday; using that much product on a regular basis would weigh my fine hair down and cause it to break.

I get enough moisture from my deep conditioners and leave-ins on wash day (2x/wk). What I do use oil for is to nourish, condition, and lubricate the hair and ends so that it remains pliable and doesn't break. I do this maybe once or twice in between washes. The oil's sealing properties is a bonus for me. The "moisturizers" that work for me have oils in them, so it's just a matter of variety on the day I add product.

RODI

Thank you for welcoming me eveyone. I just got back from the beach.
I looovvve this site and the wealth of info on here.

Thanks for all your replies. It now makes more sense to me. I now follow a moisturizing regimen similar to Keisha. I use Profectiv root health on my scalp. I know that you are not suppose to put anything on your scalp but i can't go more than 2 days max without anything on my scalp. It is just to dry and gets flaky. I also use this product on the rest of my hair. I do this every other day. I just bought Profectiv healthy ends and plan to use this on the rest of my hair instead and continue to use the root health in my scalp.

What do you ladies think about apply this product to my scalp?? Does you scalp need this type of moisture also.

Kurlee

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm gonna give you my experience with moisturizing/sealing, and hopefully others can join in with what works for them as well.

I used to seal with oils when I first joined this forum. It worked ok. But one thing that I noticed is that it is not necessary (for my hair). I only realized this after I stopped doing it. I try my best to rely on my moisturizing deep conditioners to get moisture into my strands. External methods (applying moisturizer) only allows for temporary moisture (hence the necessity to moisturize daily).

Sealing doesn't help me retain moisture longer at all. I actually think it made me have to moisturize more often. When I used to seal with oil, I would have to moisturize almost daily. Now I only have to moisturize every other day, or every couple days.

I agree with what you said (the bolded). Sealing with oil just makes me have to wash my hair sooner. Your best bet would be to find a GREAT moisturizing deep conditioner, so moisturizing daily wouldn't be an issue.

I hope this helps. Welcome again, and happy hair growing!!
I agree with the above. If I moisturize I haven't experienced any added benefits of sealing.:look:

Tallone

Oil is permeable and will eventually evaporate. Thus the need to reapply both moisturizer and sealer based on your needs. Cones are stronger but eventually evaporate as well. Also keep in mind some oils like coconut and avocado also have moisturizing properties